Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fps limiter for GSync?

I recently bought a gsync monitor that can go up to 180hz, but I have it running at 144hz. I am using a 1080ti with it, so my fps is usually way above 144, which I know renders gsync useless. I’ve heard people say that if the game can’t cap the fps, then turn on v sync in the nvidia control center, but couldn’t i just use an fps limiter program like rivatuner statistic server? Would this work?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be able to

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Tech News Posting Guidelines // How to use the forum // Join Floatplane! // Floatplane Support Wizard // Join the LTT Official Discord // How To Get Used PC Parts Cheaper Than Ebay or Craigslist // Intel HEDT Discussion //

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ayala said:

I recently bought a gsync monitor that can go up to 180hz, but I have it running at 144hz. I am using a 1080ti with it, so my fps is usually way above 144, which I know renders gsync useless. I’ve heard people say that if the game can’t cap the fps, then turn on v sync in the nvidia control center, but couldn’t i just use an fps limiter program like rivatuner statistic server? Would this work?

you sure gsync doesnt work over 144fps?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Synawke said:

you sure gsync doesnt work over 144fps?

 

I’m pretty sure gsync doesn’t work over the monitor’s refresh rate

Link to post
Share on other sites

You would want to use V-Sync, i think, instead of a frame limiter. I'm not quite sure if 144hz + 144fps = 0 tearing. But you can always experiment with it and report back with your results!

 

;(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SCGazelle said:

You would want to use V-Sync, i think, instead of a frame limiter. I'm not quite sure if 144hz + 144fps = 0 tearing. But you can always experiment with it and report back with your results!

Doesn’t vsync add input lag though? what’s the downside to a frame limiter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ayala said:

Doesn’t vsync add input lag though?

Yes, but depending on the game and yourself, you might not notice it.

14 minutes ago, Ayala said:

what’s the downside to a frame limiter?

I could be wrong, but I'm not quite sure if it will remove tearing like V-Sync will. I recommend that you try both and see which works out better.

 

;(

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ayala said:

I’m pretty sure gsync doesn’t work over the monitor’s refresh rate

well you said the monitor is 180hz? gsync should work up to 180fps

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Synawke said:

well you said the monitor is 180hz? gsync should work up to 180fps

Yeah but it’s an overclock for the monitor so i think i’ll keep it at 144, not that big of a difference anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, G-Sync will still work at 180 or 144hz. It will still be doing its job, but won't have any advantages over V-Sync other than decreased input lag.

 

;(

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ayala said:

I recently bought a gsync monitor that can go up to 180hz, but I have it running at 144hz. I am using a 1080ti with it, so my fps is usually way above 144, which I know renders gsync useless. I’ve heard people say that if the game can’t cap the fps, then turn on v sync in the nvidia control center, but couldn’t i just use an fps limiter program like rivatuner statistic server? Would this work?

I use Rivatuner. Works perfectly fine.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A_Mediocre_Kangaroo_Farmer said:

I use Rivatuner. Works perfectly fine.

Do you have v-sync turned on in nvidia control panel? You have gsync right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ayala said:

Do you have v-sync turned on in nvidia control panel? You have gsync right?

no v-sync needed. G-sync will work as long as your fps doesn't go above your monitors capabilities. I recommend watching Battle(non)sense's videos on the topic to clear any confusion you have about the way it works.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×