Do DVI to HDMI adaptors work?

Go to solution Solved by ttam,

Yep. 'tis why they are made

Hello, My friend is looking at buying a new PC, he does not game but he does do some casual video editing so i have recommended him a GT 1030. There is a particular card in which has a DVI port and a hdmi port. I was wondering if this DVI port can be converted without restrictions (without a lower resolution or frame rate) with an adaptor as he has dual Monitors. Thanks (:

Ps

His monitor is 1080p 60hz

Just now, ttam said:

Yep. 'tis why they are made

Thanks, just thought i would check before going ahead and buying everthing

They do, as both signals are digital. Analogue to digital, like VGA to HDMI would require an active converter in order to work. The cheap adaptors wouldn't work in those cases 

Just a note...  DVI does not carry audio where HDMI does.  So if the original signal is DVI going thru a gender changer, the HDMI signal will not have audio because the original signal was DVI which does not have audio.

Majority of them work for up to 1920x1200 60 Hz  - they only work in DVI Single Link mode.

DVI itself can work in Dual Link mode with a suitable dual link cable and a monitor that also knows about dual link mode, to transfer up to 4K at 60 Hz to a monitor, or smaller resolutions but higher refresh rates, like up to 144 Hz or more.

But yeah, it's super easy just "plug and play", no need to set anything, they're transparent.

18 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Just a note...  DVI does not carry audio where HDMI does.  So if the original signal is DVI going thru a gender changer, the HDMI signal will not have audio because the original signal was DVI which does not have audio.

DVI can actually sometimes carry audio, even though it's beyond the scope of regular DVI functionality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#DVI_and_HDMI_compatibility

Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.

11 hours ago, kb5zue said:

You're describing an active adapter. If it's a simple passive adapter (like all DVI to HDMI adapters) then the original signal isn't DVI, it starts out as an HDMI signal from the beginning. So in the case of DVI to HDMI, the original signal does contain audio.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:08 PM, Glenwing said:

You're describing an active adapter. If it's a simple passive adapter (like all DVI to HDMI adapters) then the original signal isn't DVI, it starts out as an HDMI signal from the beginning. So in the case of DVI to HDMI, the original signal does contain audio.

Ha, that's nice to know.  I will have to remember this.  Thanks for shining a light for me.