NVIDIA forbids deployment of GeForce drivers in data centers...

Not long ago, NVIDIA released an update to their end-user license agreement, and some of the additions to the agreement are rather alarming...

From TechPowerUp:

There's one particular statement in the limitations section that caught our eye. And it reads: No Datacenter Deployment. The SOFTWARE is not licensed for datacenter deployment, except that blockchain processing in a datacenter is permitted.

The recent addition can be found in the agreement which you have to accept before directly downloading GeForce-drivers from their site as the fourth point under section 2.1.3.

I find it disturbing that NVIDIA feels like they have to prohibit usage in data centers just because they fail to offer enough value to their customers through their insanely expensive Quadro and Tesla cards. Are NVIDIA admitting here that their enterprise solutions aren't good enough/offer enough value compared to their "mainstream" alternatives?

Just now, kerradeph said:

That part bugs me because they are basically saying "Yeah, feel free to keep running your mining farms which are utterly fucking over the prices".

The whole thing is stupid.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

That part bugs me because they are basically saying "Yeah, feel free to keep running your mining farms which are utterly fucking over the prices".

Indeed, and thery're not even trying to hide their agenda a little bit. They're litterally telling every single enterprise customer out there that you're not allowed to buy the cheaper solutions.

Though it's NVIDIA telling ther customers what they can and can't do with their product which is the scary part in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The whole thing is stupid.

Can they even enforce the EULA and dictate what drivers the owners can and can't use?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think they just don't want people using consumer grade hardware in industrial scenarios like a data center. Their issue is if they don't explicitly forbid people from using consumer grade cards in their data centers, they will end up getting all kinds of support calls and issues where the customer believes this is actually Nvidia's fault where it's really their own fault for using the wrong hardware. 

To give a bit of an example, you wouldn't slap a netgear switch in a panel in a boiler room at school. Consumer grade routers aren't rated to operate in ambient temperatures that you might see in a metal box in a boiler room, but you can bet that the System Intergrator that installed that switch is going to have an unhappy customer when they come in in the morning to a cold building because their controllers aren't talking anymore.

Nvidia doesn't validate their consumer grade cards to run flat out 24/7, and their drivers aren't validated to have high accuracy when doing computations. The cost premium on Quadro cards come from the extra validation Nvidia does on the cards and the drivers.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, Raxzzer said:

Indeed, and thery're not even trying to hide their agenda a little bit. They're litterally telling every single enterprise customer out there that you're not allowed to buy the cheaper solutions.

Though it's NVIDIA telling ther customers what they can and can't do with their product which is the scary part in my opinion.

Part of it might also be that they are getting an unusual amount of RMA requests for devices being used in datacenters because the cards are installed in a matter which causes them to basically suffocate. The datacenter style graphics cards are designed with the high flow and pressure front to back airflow built into servers. This is just playing the benefit of the doubt that they're more interested in both selling the right product for the value of it and so that there aren't as many devices possibly being taken out of use due to improper deployment. 

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Nvidia doesn't validate their consumer grade cards to run flat out 24/7, and their drivers aren't validated to have high accuracy when doing computations. The cost premium on Quadro cards come from the extra validation Nvidia does on the cards and the drivers.

I was thinking this too, but their allowance of using them in a datacenter deployment for mining means they're confident that they can do 24/7. If they're trying to be kind to the user, I would imagine it's for cooling issues. Airflow routes in a server is significantly different from the airflow in a computer case and this might be causing a lot of cards failing prematurely. 

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

Another day, another stupid decision, monopoly is a bad thing.

Kind of hoping that Intel comes in and starts nipping at their heels at least in some parts of the market. AMD kind of fell on their face with their offerings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

I think they just don't want people using consumer grade hardware in industrial scenarios like a data center. Their issue is if they don't explicitly forbid people from using consumer grade cards in their data centers, they will end up getting all kinds of support calls and issues where the customer believes this is actually Nvidia's fault where it's really their own fault for using the wrong hardware. 

To give a bit of an example, you wouldn't slap a netgear switch in a panel in a boiler room at school. Consumer grade routers aren't rated to operate in ambient temperatures that you might see in a metal box in a boiler room, but you can bet that the System Intergrator that installed that switch is going to have an unhappy customer when they come in in the morning to a cold building because their controllers aren't talking anymore.

I don't think we can completely dismiss the fact that Tesla and Quadro cards are unreasonably priced compared to how they perform when compared to what you can get in the more mainstream segment. There are lots of workloads where a Titan X for example will do a very good job for a much more reasonable price, most notably when working with neural networks. This is a workload where Tesla cards are an extremely expensive option when you instead can fill the racks with cards that are much cheaper and perform just as needed, despite having a higher failure rate than their enterprise counterparts.

Can you get around this by using out-of-date drivers? Since the agreement doesn't apply to the older ones. The application is obviously limited, but I think for a time, you might be able to get around it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Raxzzer said:

Titan X

Wasn't this that prosumer card jack of all trades? I know lots of people who invest on one of those above any Quadro solution because it actually was good value there, I personally see this shutting down even further the TITAN X segment...

I have always felt that nVidia and pretty much all the others have always charged too much for the "certifications" for real if you do a product that should work doing something why the hell you get to overprice for the certainty it will work? it just feels like milking extra on the work they should do to all.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Is this in a EULA because if it is I really don't care, they have about as much weight as a helium filled balloon, kinda funny Nvidia thought no one would bash them for it though.

Additionally this is just an aggro way of saying we do not support this if you do this and have an issue go f*@k yourself

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 minutes ago, Raxzzer said:

I don't think we can completely dismiss the fact that Tesla and Quadro cards are unreasonably priced compared to how they perform when compared to what you can get in the more mainstream segment. There are lots of workloads where a Titan X for example will do a very good job for a much more reasonable price, most notably when working with neural networks. This is a workload where Tesla cards are an extremely expensive option when you instead can fill the racks with cards that are much cheaper and perform just as needed, despite having a higher failure rate than their enterprise counterparts.

It's not like this line in the ToC says Nvidia will send in a SWAT team if they see you using a Geforce card in your datacenter, it's just because they must be tired of getting support calls from uneducated owners who thought they were saving a buck. This way they can deny these people the support they don't deserve. The price premium on Quadro cards is justified as I stated before. These cards are validated for data center use, the drivers are validated for data center use, and you get support for data center applications, none of those things are free, so they front load the cost onto the card. This is something that is repeated in almost every market. I work for a distributor, our prices in a lot of cases don't beat our competitors, but our customers are more than willing to pay more for their parts because they know we have knowledgle and experienced tech support staff who will provide them support for "free"

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Their workstation class drivers are certified. Geforce ones aren't. I don't get all these stupid bashing on Nvidia.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

11 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Their workstation class drivers are certified. Geforce ones aren't. I don't get all these stupid bashing on Nvidia.

The issue is for a very large variety of workloads GeForce cards are just as fast as Quadros or Teslas so many people have opted for those cards saving huge amounts of money, likely also getting better performance by being able to buy a much faster GPU.

Nvidia didn't like this so the solution, rather than making more affordable products, is to disallow the use of GeForce cards in servers so yea plenty justification to have a bitch in my opinion.

53 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Kind of hoping that Intel comes in and starts nipping at their heels at least in some parts of the market. AMD kind of fell on their face with their offerings.

Yep, exactly.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

The issue is for a very large variety of workloads GeForce cards are just as fast as Quadros or Teslas so many people have opted for those cards saving huge amounts of money, likely also getting better performance by being able to buy a much faster GPU.

Nvidia didn't like this so the solution, rather than making more affordable products, is to disallow the use of GeForce cards in servers so yea plenty justification to have a bitch in my opinion.

That reminds me of the time I walked into an architect firm and they all had 780's in their systems at the time instead of quadros/teslas.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

What even qualifies as a datacenter anyways?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's not like the drivers will refuse to install. Your on your own, when it comes to tech support.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

That reminds me of the time I walked into an architect firm and they all had 780's in their systems at the time instead of quadros/teslas.

Well, a workstation isn't necessarily a datacenter. Heck, I use Blender a lot with my own GeForce card, and it seems as happy as can be, minus the 2GB RAM bit.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Raxzzer said:

Not long ago, NVIDIA released an update to their end-user license agreement, and some of the additions to the agreement are rather alarming...

From TechPowerUp:

The recent addition can be found in the agreement which you have to accept before directly downloading GeForce-drivers from their site as the fourth point under section 2.1.3.

I find it disturbing that NVIDIA feels like they have to prohibit usage in data centers just because they fail to offer enough value to their customers through their insanely expensive Quadro and Tesla cards. Are NVIDIA admitting here that their enterprise solutions aren't good enough/offer enough value compared to their "mainstream" alternatives?

You're also not allowed to keep a local copy for installing or use gfe on more than one computer in your house

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers