Blue screens in Pre-windows environment

trace6x
Go to solution Solved by trace6x,
On 12/22/2017 at 6:28 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

could still be two bad RAM sticks, but id say CPU then i guess. the intergrated voltage controller could be bad and thats why its BSODing quicker and quicker because its killing the CPU with too much voltage or something

Thanks for the help, it was the CPU in the end, I got a replacement and it's working fine! Shame is was such a pain in the arse but I got there in the end.

I'm totally lost here, does anyone have any ideas?

- i7 8700
- GTX 1080TI
- MSI Z370 SLI Pus
- Corsair 8x8 3000mhz Ram
- RM550x PSU
- Sandisk SSD
- Seagate HDD

I installed windows 10 via USB, everything is going fine, installed all the drivers, started loading steam etc and I get a BSOD.
Reboot and try again, load a few programs, BSOD
Try booting into USB to load windows again, BSOD, in the pre-windows environment.
Would then always BSOD when loading windows so I wiped the drives, now it just BSODs when booting via USB every time, which seems strange because the hard drives aren't even plugged in.

List of steps I've taken, every time it boots to USB I get a BSOD

- Created new bootable windows 10 USB with a different flash drive in a different USB socket
- Unplugged mouse keyboard and ethernet
- Wiped both Hard drives
- Disconnected both hard drives completely
- Swapped the power supply
- Took out the GPU, tried booting from integrated graphics
- Tried with single ram sticks
- Reseated the CPU
- Tried with a DVD ISO
- Set BIOS to default
- Flashed BIOS to latest version

- replaced the motherboard with a brand new one entirely

I'm out of ideas, I think it's either faulty RAM or CPU.
What do you guys think?

Thanks

id say foulty RAM, those issues are pretty sporadic and strange really, but it could also be the CPU

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

id say foulty RAM, those issues are pretty sporadic and strange really, but it could also be the CPU

Seems a bit unlikely I have 2 sticks of faulty ram though right?

3 minutes ago, trace6x said:

Seems a bit unlikely I have 2 sticks of faulty ram though right?

have you tested both sticks alone? you didnt mention that in your post at least

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

have you tested both sticks alone? you didnt mention that in your post at least

Yeah i have, I put single ram sticks in the post 

3 minutes ago, trace6x said:

Yeah i have, I put single ram sticks in the post 

could still be two bad RAM sticks, but id say CPU then i guess. the intergrated voltage controller could be bad and thats why its BSODing quicker and quicker because its killing the CPU with too much voltage or something

Builds:

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 6:28 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Thanks for the help, it was the CPU in the end, I got a replacement and it's working fine! Shame is was such a pain in the arse but I got there in the end.

3 hours ago, trace6x said:

Don't forget to mark this as solved :)