Transition from "poopy" gaming to "omg" gaming

KhandakeF

To preface this,  for all 17 years of my life, I have been "gaming" on low-end systems. i.e Core 2 Quad, Pentium, Core i3, 4gigs of ram, iGPU, so I never got above 20/25/30 fps in games. 

Now, however, I have an Alienware with a 6700hq and 1070, and I am now able to play a lot of games at High/Very High/Ultra settings at 60+ fps(but I usually have VSync enabled so 60 fps). The problem is that since I came from low/close-to-unplayable gaming, the transition, especially in fps games, has been hard for me. 

Are there any tips for a smoother transition or do I just have to keep playing to get myself accustomed?

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

That's weird. My transition was almost seamless...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

By hard, what do you mean?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

By hard, what do you mean?

Having far less time to react because everything is going much much faster, control inputs are almost instantaneous, that sort of thing

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

2 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

Having far less time to react because everything is going much much faster, control inputs are almost instantaneous, that sort of thing

First world problems amirite

The transition for me is really slow, I went from a terrible laptop to a better laptop, but still not a whole lot better. It's enough to play all my games well enough for me. Once I upgrade my desktop it'll be a more "omg" experience

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

23 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

Get good is all I can say

29 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

???

The game isn't actually running any faster, it's just displaying more frames per second. You should actually have more time to react because you're seeing frames much sooner than you were before.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

5 minutes ago, catzambia said:

???

The game isn't actually running any faster, it's just displaying more frames per second. You should actually have more time to react because you're seeing frames much sooner than you were before.

He's right, you get more time to react, its actually easier to play.

Maybe if you just clench hard enough

Specs:

CPU: i5-7600 @ 3.5Ghz (Boost to 3.9 maybe even 4.1 but who knows)

GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Expedition Edition

RAM: 8GB DDR4 CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2133(OC TO 2400)

MoBo: GIGABYTE B250M-DS3H

Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 500GB Hitachi something(salvaged from wreckage)

Display(s): LG 24"LCD 768p panel + Samsung SM E1920 18".

Peripherals: CoolerMaster Master key Lite L RGB Combo .

Case: COOLER MASTER ELITE 311

PSU: COOLERMASTER 460W

Audio: CUSTOM 5.1 HT 4x5W + 1x50W Centre + 1x250W Sub + 500W CUSTOM AMP.

Power backup: 48hours of inverted goodness.

I see what you mean. Seems like too much is going on at once. I think of it as a slideshow vs a video. With a slideshow (low fps) you can analyze each picture for a "little" longer. With a video (60fps) everything is being thrown at you at once. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Keep playing, that's what i did.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I am having similar pains switching from console for years to PC in the last 2~ months. Actually stumbled into the game fancy skulls, rogue like FPS, and it's surprisingly a nice difficulty curve and pretty fun, and develops lovely accuracy and fast twitch reflexs. Might be worth a shot, worst case you get an inexpensive game that is a good time waster.

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Find me on Rainbow 6 seige - Beeried94

20 hours ago, KhandakeF said:

It is the opposite:

You have more time and more.control about EVERYTHING. But your mind has a "delay" to deal with the former bad experience, and time will heal that.

Your mind will.adapt to the new, "correct" experience and you will get better fast.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

21 hours ago, KhandakeF said:

It doesn't go faster and you'll just have to get use to it

On 12/21/2017 at 7:38 PM, CmzPlusHardware said:

I see what you mean. Seems like too much is going on at once. I think of it as a slideshow vs a video. With a slideshow (low fps) you can analyze each picture for a "little" longer. With a video (60fps) everything is being thrown at you at once. 

Maybe...

If this is true, OP can try to play slower paced games first and then move on to the faster paced ones

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler