Green boot LED, failed POST

So I just built my PC and tried to start it up. No display to my monitor. Noticed that there was a green LED next to Boot, thought that meant it had booted. Turns out I was wrong and this greeny yellowy light means that the motherboard has failed to boot. I have been searching all over for a possible solution but almost all failed POST's are to do with RAM and not boot. If anyone can give some information on how I can fix this, that would be great. I 'tried' the CMOS thing where you power down and touch metal on both the little pins but this didn't work, maybe I did it wrong?

8 minutes ago, NotAClueWhatIAmDoing said:

So I just built my PC and tried to start it up. No display to my monitor. Noticed that there was a green LED next to Boot, thought that meant it had booted. Turns out I was wrong and this greeny yellowy light means that the motherboard has failed to boot. I have been searching all over for a possible solution but almost all failed POST's are to do with RAM and not boot. If anyone can give some information on how I can fix this, that would be great. I 'tried' the CMOS thing where you power down and touch metal on both the little pins but this didn't work, maybe I did it wrong?

What hardware are you using?

The first thing I'd do is check the Motherboard's manual and see if the RAM sticks are in the correct slots.

If they are (assuming you have two sticks) then, try booting with just one.

Also, make sure all your cables are connected correctly.

Ps.: The green led should only mean that your Motherboard is getting power.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

What hardware are you using?

The first thing I'd do is check the Motherboard's manual and see if the RAM sticks are in the correct slots.

If they are (assuming you have two sticks) then, try booting with just one.

Also, make sure all your cables are connected correctly.

Ps.: The green led should only mean that your Motherboard is getting power.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/n89HYr This is the system I am trying to boot.

The green LED is for BOOT, not the Power LED, which is also lit up a blood orange but I didn't think to mention it. I have tried to use one stick of RAM in numerous slots but to no avail. I am still searching but I cannot find any solution.

17 minutes ago, NotAClueWhatIAmDoing said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/n89HYr This is the system I am trying to boot.

The green LED is for BOOT, not the Power LED, which is also lit up a blood orange but I didn't think to mention it. I have tried to use one stick of RAM in numerous slots but to no avail. I am still searching but I cannot find any solution.

Are there any error codes your Motherboard shows?

Also, have you tried removing your GPU and connecting your monitor to the Motherboard's HDMI connector?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

• 9 months later...
On 12/22/2017 at 9:12 AM, NotAClueWhatIAmDoing said:

I had the same issue as you did with the green yellow light on and nothing on the screen.

how I got the bios to display on the monitor was through the GPU not the motherboard. I will say this I am a first time builder so this might not work for you it's worth the try tho.

My work around is based of the theory the the display sent through the display port because and not the HDMI as my screen is HDMI only I decided to use the GPU instead and that work the bios cane up on screen and the green yellow light is still on. So I am guessing it's just letting you know that there is no operating system installed.

PS when you put the GPU in the white light should not be light if it is then change the slots it is in until the white light goes away. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 12:38 AM, Bryophy said:

the display sent through the display port because and not the HDMI

This - Thank you, Bryophy.

I was getting one short beep, which the motherboard's user manual reports as:

VGA Detected
Quick boot set to disabled
No keyboard detected

Leading up to this (just shortly before) I had cleared the CMOS memory and RTC RAM. I was left with no video feed via the HDMI port on my GPU (which I used exclusively for about an hour up-until this point). I can at least throw another use-case in the mix which agrees with your theory, because as soon as I plugged in a DisplayPort cable into my GPU (and Monitor), I was able to see the video-feed which I was not shown this entire time (since I was on HDMI).

Thanks again, Bryophy!

For posterity, Here is the list of components which I used, here. (also online @ https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cavalol/saved/#view=7Q2Mcf )

Mobo:  Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
RAM:  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
GPU:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card
PSU:  Corsair Professional 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply    $0.00    
Disk:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case:  NZXT H440 ATX Mid Tower Case

Edit: Added link to Motherboard reference

• 7 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 9:38 PM, Bryophy said:

I had the same issue as you did with the green yellow light on and nothing on the screen.

how I got the bios to display on the monitor was through the GPU not the motherboard. I will say this I am a first time builder so this might not work for you it's worth the try tho.

My work around is based of the theory the the display sent through the display port because and not the HDMI as my screen is HDMI only I decided to use the GPU instead and that work the bios cane up on screen and the green yellow light is still on. So I am guessing it's just letting you know that there is no operating system installed.

PS when you put the GPU in the white light should not be light if it is then change the slots it is in until the white light goes away. 

Bryophy, THANK YOU SO MUCH. It's been almost 1.5 years since your post but after hours of searching I finally stumbled upon your suggestion. This solved my Green light boot issue. In fact, there was no issue per se with my boot drive, it was just unformatted and had no OS, but the blank screen had me wondering what was going on and what this "BOOT" error code was.

In the end, I'm such a noob after using Intel CPUs my entire life with their integrated graphics -- when I switched to AMD I didn't realize

my motherboard hdmi would not work. Plugging it into my GPU HDMI port revealed that my computer was posting and able to access BIOS this entire time and waiting for further instructions.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B450-I

Disk: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB

• 8 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 6:38 AM, Bryophy said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

but why tf the bios shows on the gpu and not directly from the MB?????

Cheers and happy 2021

• 2 months later...

Finally a solution! I had to use the display port on my video card. Turns out I wasn't having a post issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wait if it's green it sometimes take a while happened to me today

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 12:38 AM, Bryophy said:

Just letting you know you're still solving problems almost 3 years after posting this. Thanks, Bryophy.

• 6 months later...

I'm the first in 2022 (4+ years after the OP)) to post Bryophy's solution worked. Awesome! Thank you for the tip. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

I'm dying to be the next one to say your post helped me 3 years later!   Same exact issue (still unclear if that green light is supposed to stay on or not).  When I use my display port out of the GPU into my monitor however, I don't get anything.  If I try an HDMI out of the GPU, the white VGA light stays on through booting.  The other weird issue i'm noticing is that the GPU fans turn off after a little bit... am I on the right track, or is this a completely separate issue from what you all had?

• 2 months later...

The time is mid year 2022 - I am the latest one to be save by this wonderful solution.

Got the green light n blank screen on a x370 strix + 1700 + rx480 + and a mere VGA+DVI 1080p monitor(via hdmi-to-dvi converter)

Tried multiple ways and failed countless time - til this! 

Took out my ol' fwen the 750ti - replace my 480, use the 750ti VGA to the monitor and bammmm! The bios is there, finally! 

Thank u I love you - Byrophy! 

• 1 year later...

Now it is my turn to say "Thank you!" in the mid of 2023 =) You saved me tons of time and, possibly, money.

The history in short:

Added more RAM to the PC, it turned out to not work at the frequency I was expecting. So the BIOS setting were reset to defaults and image from GPU went via DP, but monitor connected through HDMI. The motherboard showed that green light and rebooted in cycle. Disassembled most of PC, but only connection through DP helped. Later decreased RAM frequency to a step.

For the record, system specs: ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus with Ryzed 9 5900X, 4 x Kingston Fury RAM, ASUS RTX3600 GPU and Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD (and some other stuff - SSDs, sound card and etc.)

Thanks a ton!

• 7 months later...

ROG Strix / i10XXXK / Fury / A-DATA ssd,....

and for GPU (first one to grab)

HD4550 500MB DDR3 over HDMI 

Lol... 🤣

Thank you!!!! 🤗