New Bill aims to ban Loot Boxes in Games for Minors under 21

AlTech

The State of Hawaii, Connecticut, North Carolina, Minnesota, Georgia, Washington, and potentially other US States are considering passing new Bills to ban Loot Boxes in Games for Minors under 21.

In Hawaii, this has been primarily lead by Chris Lee, a state legislator in the State of Hawaii which has reached out to some other US state legislators.

Opinion: Awesome! Now we just need more states and countries passing bills to ban video games sales for minors and those who may be vulnerable to the addictive nature of gambling.

Sources:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Its to hash to me I get under 16 or something but once you can take can drive you should be able to handle loot boxes.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Its to hash to me I get under 16 or something but once you can take can drive you should be able to handle loot boxes.

Loot boxes are generally of an addictive nature, exploiting physiological tendencies, and several Gambling Commission around the world have already classified loot boxes in video games as gambling.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

i can assure you those players who play loot boxes are above 21 years old

I admit i spent a few thousands of real money worth of loot boxes

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Loot boxes are generally of an addictive nature, exploiting physiological tendencies, and several Gambling Commission around the world including the Belgium Gambling Commission and the UK Gambling Commission have already classified loot boxes in video games as gambling.

many things are I don't see those get age restrictions, ex sugar caffeine 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

your assurance means nothing when you are part of the dark side!!!

I shall smite you in the name of the almighty goodness in me.

hmm yes setting an age restriction.. cuz M rated games are only played by people above the age of 17 right?

sounds great in theory, but realistically, it wont change anything,

The only way to actually fix the problem, is for the ESRB(and other outlets) to make loot boxes equivalent to in game gambling, which would make the game require an AO rating.  That would put a permanent end to the issue.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

this also seems like a way to fix bad parenting. maybe you shouldn't give you kid the credit card or check in on what their doing. 

7 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

this also seems like a way to fix bad parenting. maybe you shouldn't give you kid the credit card or check in on what their doing. 

To play devil's advocate, I doubt most parent's recognize loot boxes are an issue. 

29 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

hmm yes setting an age restriction.. cuz M rated games are only played by people above the age of 17 right?

The only way to actually fix the problem, is for the ESRB(and other outlets) to make loot boxes equivalent to in game gambling, which would make the game require an AO rating.  That would put a permanent end to the issue.

thats what they're trying to get it to

ESRB already has gambling in AO category so its only a matter of either legislatures making lootboxes fall under that category by force or companies make a proposal via self regulation

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Loot boxes are generally of an addictive nature, exploiting physiological tendencies, and several Gambling Commission around the world including the Belgium Gambling Commission and the UK Gambling Commission have already classified loot boxes in video games as gambling.

The UK gambling commission said it couldn't class them as gambling as UK law requires a way to cash out your winnings for it to be classed as gambling.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So it changes nothing? Cool. 

Aot of games with loot boxes already have T or M ratings. Doesn't stop kids from playing them. Most parents don't see an issue with it because we're from a generation where we ourselves played violent video games. This is basically more of a show for votes than anything else. "Look! We care! We thought about the children and did somerhikg great!" 

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

You can't buy alcohol, an addictive substance though right? Or cigarettes?

1 hour ago, dragoon20005 said:

Haha, agreed. The publicized acts are kids stealing their parents credit cards. 

On the flipside, it's more protecting their developing brain than it is anything else. Loot boxes alone isn't the issue, it's loot boxes and children. 

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

many things are I don't see those get age restrictions, ex sugar caffeine 

I haven't seen caffeine costing thousands in a single transaction that's not fatal though ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

So it changes nothing? Cool. 

Aot of games with loot boxes already have T or M ratings. Doesn't stop kids from playing them. Most parents don't see an issue with it because we're from a generation where we ourselves played violent video games. This is basically more of a show for votes than anything else. "Look! We care! We thought about the children and did somerhikg great!" 

You can't buy alcohol, an addictive substance though right? Or cigarettes?

Haha, agreed. The publicized acts are kids stealing their parents credit cards. 

On the flipside, it's more protecting their developing brain than it is anything else. Loot boxes alone isn't the issue, it's loot boxes and children. 

I haven't seen caffeine costing thousands in a single transaction that's not fatal though ;)

minimum age for alcohol and cigarettes consumption and use is 18. Some countries including Singapore is moving it to 21 soon.

But smoking and drinking is a habit, once you start you cant really stop

The biggest problem is that parents let kids play their iPad or iPhone to keep them quiet when they are crying or making a scene on the public transport. Some of the games the kids play are free to play but has the pay for faster unlock system aka Loot boxes or Gachapon. And because the Credit card is always linked to the devices. The kid just need the passcode to purchase gold or "extra lives"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3378667/Boy-charges-4-000-father-s-Apple-account-game-purchases.html

i say is just lazy parenting for the younger generations.

I grew up without toys to speak off and gets tons of caning for things i do and flunking exams, etc.

Parents nowaday just let the kids run wild in shopping centres and scream the top of their voice in the bus or train unless they have what they want.

Even the simple of cleaning up after you eat as fast food joints, i hardly see anyone do that anymore.

smh

OOT here but yes bad

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

That probably end lootboxes in every game since most retailers like Bestbuy, or Walmart won't stock AO games...
So it be limited to Digital distribution, and even then Microsoft, and Sony's policies do not let AO games on their storefronts (most AO games are for PC anyway.)
As for Valve... I don't think they have a single AO game on Steam  but they certainly have games that would likely get an AO rating, even in their censored states... So I guess it would have to matter on Valve's stance on Gambling.

EDIT: Oh Hatred is on Steam never mind.
Almost forgot about that since its one of the very few AO games that isn't rated that for sexual content.

I think the age restriction is too high. I was going to point out that you can buy alcohol earlier than you can buy lootbox but apparently the legal drinking age is 21 in all of those states, which I think is crazy. Are you seriously telling me that an 18 year old isn't allowed to drink in these states? 

I haven't read the bill, but judging by the title I really don't like it.

1) Age restriction is too high. The US seems to have this really weird view of legal limits where I think everything is too high, except a few things which are too low. No sex until you're 18? No drinking until you're 21? But you are allowed to drive cars at 16? Where is the logic in that?

2) This can do some serious damage to games which handle loot boxes well. Games such as Hearthstone where they are easy to earn in-game through regular gameplay. Games like Rainbow 6 Siege where it is only cosmetics (at least from what I know, correct me if I'm wrong).

3) Chances are this bill won't actually do anything.

4) If something happens, such as a 21 year old rating on games, then chances are it might scare parents off for the wrong reasons. A game like GTA where you do drugs, have sex and kill people? Let's give that a rating of 17. Hearthstone which is a cartoony card game very similar to the Pokemon card game nobody ever had any issues with? Let's slap a 21+ rating on that!

1 minute ago, Sypran said:

That probably end lootboxes in every game since most retailers like Bestbuy, or Walmart won't stock AO games...
So it be limited to Digital distribution, and I am not sure of Microsoft, or Sony's policies on AO games.
As for Valve... I don't think they have a single AO game on Steam, but they certainly have games that would likely get an AO rating, even in their censored states... So I guess it would have to matter on Valve's stance on Gambling.

thats the exact point i was making. :)   nobody stocks AO games, it would end it instantly.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I think the age restriction is too high. I was going to point out that you can buy alcohol earlier than you can buy lootbox but apparently the legal drinking age is 21 in all of those states, which I think is crazy. Are you seriously telling me that an 18 year old isn't allowed to drink in these states? 

I haven't read the bill, but judging by the title I really don't like it.

1) Age restriction is too high. The US seems to have this really weird view of legal limits where I think everything is too high, except a few things which are too low. No sex until you're 18? No drinking until you're 21? But you are allowed to drive cars at 16? Where is the logic in that?

2) This can do some serious damage to games which handle loot boxes well. Games such as Hearthstone where they are easy to earn in-game through regular gameplay. Games like Rainbow 6 Siege where it is only cosmetics (at least from what I know, correct me if I'm wrong).

3) Chances are this bill won't actually do anything.

4) If something happens, such as a 21 year old rating on games, then chances are it might scare parents off for the wrong reasons. A game like GTA where you do drugs, have sex and kill people? Let's give that a rating of 17. Hearthstone which is a cartoony card game very similar to the Pokemon card game nobody ever had any issues with? Let's slap a 21+ rating on that!

I live in oregon, drinking age is 21, but i can sign up to kill people for my country at 17.

i havent read the bill either, but to respond to your points:

1) AO rating would put it at 18+, which is the age you're legally an adult and is the perfect age to set this at

2) i agree. lootboxes suck in general but are fine when done right. (personally i disagree about hearthstone, since its p2w, but i think overwatch is fine since its purely cosmetic).

3) correct, unless the esrb gets involved, nothing will change

4) see 1

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

9 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

minimum age for alcohol and cigarettes consumption and use is 18. Some countries including Singapore is moving it to 21 soon.

But smoking and drinking is a habit, once you start you cant really stop

-snip-

That's the point. So is gambling. Large parts of the US the age of majority is 21.

I grew up with lots of toys. Having possessions doesn't indicate poor parenting. The child in that situation shouldn't have had the password, or purchase should have been tied to a fingerprint. 

Soon we won't have to worry about much of anything. Robots will take care of it for us. Then they will become our overlords. :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

personally i disagree about hearthstone, since its p2w, but i think overwatch is fine since its purely cosmetic

You can play Hearthstone (and win)  without paying anything. I've only bought one 50 pack of cards and that always for the Frozen Throne expansion. If you enjoy the game, then spend some money on card packs. Is it easier to win with all the cards? Sure. But it's by no means a requirement. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No sex until you're 18? No drinking until you're 21? But you are allowed to drive cars at 16? Where is the logic in that?

No sex until you're 18? Never heard of a law of that kind (I might be wrong so please do correct me if so)

No drinking until you're 21? I totally agree with that. Alcohol in large quantity damages your health and in small quantity makes you take/have bad decisions that could escalate.

But you are allowed to drive cars at 16? Why not. Having driving lessons and driving theory classes should discipline you. This is a way of education. But if you're an ass because that's your personality, you're gonna drive like an ass.

Personally I think that legal age for buying games should be 18 (the special games that shouldn't be played by kids). It's beyond my understanding how a 14 or 15 or any age under 18 is allowed to have access to money. Even more, money from bank accounts which can be used to buy stuff online. IMO it's all about parenting. I personally just spent @£100 recently for loot boxes in Wold of Tanks. But I don't care, I'm a grown up that has a full time job and I can do whatever I want with my money.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

apparently the legal drinking age is 21 in all of those states, which I think is crazy. Are you seriously telling me that an 18 year old isn't allowed to drink in these states?

Yep... You can even join the military and 'die for your country' at 18, but you can't crack open a cold one.
Its really dumb.
Oh as for the sex thing you said later on: Each state has a different age of consent. Some its 16 others 17. Its just nationally its 18 so a state can't say "you must be +21!"  - Though I do think you have to be a certain age no matter what state to be in porn...

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Ive come to really dislike the "Its only cosmetic so its ok" argument. Mostly cause I grew up and was used to these things being unlockables, but now its just a way to milk more money out of people... Also it still kinda irks me to pay to access something that I technically already have on my hard drive.

3 hours ago, Tsuki said:

It'll legally restrict games sales to one of the main target demographics for these games.

3 hours ago, Tsuki said:

Some countries like the UK and Belgium are already fighting this.

Hawaii and other states may classify it as gambling in their upcoming bill.

4 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

I can assure you that, assuming loot boxes in games is classified as Gambling, many people under the age of 21 let alone 18 have spent ridiculous amounts of money on them.

1 hour ago, Sypran said:

Ive come to really dislike the "Its only cosmetic so its ok" argument. Mostly cause I grew up and was used to these things being unlockables, but now its just a way to milk more money out of people... Also it still kinda irks me to pay to access something that I technically already have on my hard drive.

Same

1 hour ago, r3loAded said:

No sex until you're 18? Never heard of a law of that kind (I might be wrong so please do correct me if so)

No drinking until you're 21? I totally agree with that. Alcohol in large quantity damages your health and in small quantity makes you take/have bad decisions that could escalate.

Yeah. A lot of people in the UK have drinking problems.

1 hour ago, r3loAded said:

Personally I think that legal age for buying games should be 18 (the special games that shouldn't be played by kids). It's beyond my understanding how a 14 or 15 or any age under 18 is allowed to have access to money. Even more, money from bank accounts which can be used to buy stuff online.

Nah, I think 16 is old enough for some mature individual but children do need more education about finance management.

sure, this will probably end up doing literally nothing. you just put you were born whenever so you are 21 or whatever just like how kiddies get FB or whatever

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It'll legally restrict games sales to one of the main target demographics for these games.

Some countries like the UK and Belgium are already fighting this.

Hawaii and other states may classify it as gambling in their upcoming bill.

I can assure you that, assuming loot boxes in games is classified as Gambling, many people under the age of 21 let alone 18 have spent ridiculous amounts of money on them.

Same

Yeah. A lot of people in the UK have drinking problems.

Nah, I think 16 is old enough for some mature individual but children do need more education about finance management.

you should know Maple Story MMORPG

yes that game

Guess what?

I spent like 15,000 dollars on that game!

But what made me drop that game was a major server hack which wiped all my belongings

I wrecked their office and was thrown out of the place

and yea never got back my money >:(