Determine age of a machine

emosun

So I was wondering , what is your method for deciding the age of a mutt computer?

My method always seems to default to when the motherboard was manufactured. I know it sounds weird. But I figure if a motherboard is from 2009 , then regardless of how much new hardware you slap into the machine , it could still be considered a 2009 machine based on the available tech that is being used to interface all the devices together. 

But maybe you think differently? Maybe the case or everything BUT the motherboard determines it's age? I'm curious how everyone else decides the age of a mutt machine. 

Just now, emosun said:

-snip-

Sounds like we think pretty similarly.... However I do not feel the need to slap a negative label on a system. Even if a system has a mainboard from 2009, and a GTX 1080 ti. It still has a 1080ti, and some other hardware that is probably pretty nice (even though it is most likely a bottleneck). I just try to look at hardware, as hardware, for what it can perform, not if it's "bad" or "good". 

I go off of the CPU

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

when it was last rebuilt or first built if it hasent been rebuilt is from where id count the age

upgrades are not rebuilds

things id count as rebuilds:
custom waterloop + GPU upgrade at least(just a CPU swap would not be counted)

motherboard + CPU swap

everything but CPU + motherboard swap

any time its the first pairing of those exact parts

any time you swap more parts than in the above examples

things id not count as a rebuild:

any operation that dosent need you to remove the motherboard

a case swap

going from one air cooler to another air cooler or AIO

GPU upgrade

storage swap

I would count the LAN PC 5.0 as a rebuild because:

It was put together for the first time with those parts in that case, even though the cooling, motherboard and CPU didnt change the GPU, PSU, RAM, HDD and case did

I would count the Toaster Project as a new build because:

It was the first time i paired those parts

I would count Northern Bee as a rebuild because:

GPU upgrade + custom watercooling loop + case swap + various other parts

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

when it was last rebuilt or first built if it hasent been rebuilt is from where id count the age

upgrades are not rebuilds

things id count as rebuilds:
custom waterloop + GPU upgrade at least(just a CPU swap would not be counted)

So for example , adding a gpu and water loop would change the age of the machine in terms of years or?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

So for example , adding a gpu and water loop would change the age of the machine in terms of years or?

id say its a new system, the age of the components and the age of the computer i keep apart. should probably have mentioned that too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

id say its a new system, the age of the components and the age of the computer i keep apart. should probably have mentioned that too

So If I add a water loop and gpu to an old 478 machine , then that would be a new system? That's interesting. 

I wouldn't even have to blow the dust out of the machine. Just add a loop and a new gpu and there it's new!

1 minute ago, emosun said:

So If I add a water loop and gpu to an old 478 machine , then that would be a new system? That's interesting. 

I wouldn't even have to blow the dust out of the machine. Just add a loop and a new gpu and there it's new!

id call that a rebuild, so yah. dosent make it any better, but id reset the age timer for the computer yes. that dosent change the fact that the motherboard is about 17 years old or that the CPU is, but id call it a new system

Builds:

Spoiler

I go by a general combination of all components in a system. If it's got a Core 2 Duo or newer, I'd say it's still fairly new. Anything older to about the PIII days would be considered getting old, and older than that would be, well old. But adding a water cooling setup to a machine with something like a P4 doesn't make it new. That's just dumb.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

But adding a water cooling setup to a machine with something like a P4 doesn't make it new. That's just dumb.

I agree but i suppose everyone has a different perspective , neat to see variety 

12 hours ago, emosun said:

So I was wondering , what is your method for deciding the age of a mutt computer?

My method always seems to default to when the motherboard was manufactured. 

I tend to consider the motherboard/CPU as a combo. The motherboard can be a bit older but a newer CPU should be considered when determining the systems age.

I guess you can also group systems in a broader sense by ram compatibility too.

11 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I go by a general combination of all components in a system. If it's got a Core 2 Duo or newer, I'd say it's still fairly new.

-snip-

I think the Core2 is getting a bit old. I say this and I have a server running a Core2.

I find that in order for a system not to be hitting the old age in 2017 would require it to be atleast a second gen Core series from intel or a FX from AMD.

If the system was rebuilt and upgraded, is it the original system? The cells in our body are replaced over 7 years. Are you therefore the same person were 7 years ago? Is a system the sum of its parts? What about the soul? 

Similarly, if a have a system that i continually replace parts,  putting old parts in a shed, and i build another system with the new parts, which is the original system? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

7 hours ago, Ertman said:

I think the Core2 is getting a bit old. I say this and I have a server running a Core2.

I find that in order for a system not to be hitting the old age in 2017 would require it to be atleast a second gen Core series from intel or a FX from AMD.

Really? Almost all my systems have a Core 2 Duo. My Hackintosh does, my main servers have them, my other laptop has one. I only upgraded because someone gave me a couple Sandy Bridge machines (one of which I can't use, so I'm still using a Core 2 Duo).

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Check the date of release for the GPU, CPU, and Motherboard.  That will tell you everything you need to know about age.

9 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

If the system was rebuilt and upgraded, is it the original system? The cells in our body are replaced over 7 years. Are you therefore the same person were 7 years ago? Is a system the sum of its parts? What about the soul? 

Similarly, if a have a system that i continually replace parts it; putting old parts in a shed, and i build another system with new parts, which is the original system? 

lol this is so deep I'd rather not think about it too long

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

It can be kind of hard to determine the actual age of a machine. I mean, you can still buy, brand new, a CPU and motherboard from 2015(older if you know where to look), does that mean the machine is years old? Even though it's technically brand new and only just assembled a few minutes ago?

But personally, I just check the release date of the CPU, motherboard and GPU to determine how "old" it is. CPUs and motherboards don't age as quickly as a GPU after all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Really? Almost all my systems have a Core 2 Duo. My Hackintosh does, my main servers have them, my other laptop has one. I only upgraded because someone gave me a couple Sandy Bridge machines (one of which I can't use, so I'm still using a Core 2 Duo).

Yep. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you using them if they do what you want them to do, but I definitely consider them to be older hardware.

On 12/20/2017 at 11:47 AM, emosun said:

My method always seems to default to when the motherboard was manufactured. I know it sounds weird. But I figure if a motherboard is from 2009 , then regardless of how much new hardware you slap into the machine , it could still be considered a 2009 machine based on the available tech that is being used to interface all the devices together. 

But maybe you think differently? Maybe the case or everything BUT the motherboard determines it's age? I'm curious how everyone else decides the age of a mutt machine. 

I tend to go by motherboard. I don't know exactly when specific motherboard models came out, and I'm not even 100% on chipsets, but I don't really spend a lot of time trying to figure out the exact year of the PC. Once I've got a ballpark based on socket, I start thinking about the expected lifespan of everything else--including that power supply from 2005, because very few people upgrade power supplies without a very compelling reason (like something going bang) to do so.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

It's pretty pointless to give a computer an age if you have components inside that vary in age. That being said, if most of your components are say 3 years old, you can safely say the system is about 3 years old. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

19 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Similarly, if a have a system that i continually replace parts,  putting old parts in a shed, and i build another system with the new parts, which is the original system? 

Wait but your neurons are not though

so are you your nervous system?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I would ask Siri.

We could split it into body and soul. The body would be the physical parts, but the soul would be the configuration of the OS and software on it. I built my current main system in summer 2015, and since then I've kept the same OS install and core components. GPU has been upgraded. I've added more storage, removed water cooling going back to air, changing case in the process. It looks totally different, but to me it is the same computer. The same install doesn't mean everything has to remain the same either, in that you wouldn't expect people to be the same forever.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I would say the CPU.

Though with it being an intel build, I'm sure it'd be pretty close to the motherboards manufacturing date anyway?