BEST AM4 motherboard with legacy PCI?

On 1/27/2021 at 5:08 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

Awesome find actually. In the future I may purchase this to toy around with. I have an Old Ageia Physx processing unit that doesn't get played with much anymore. Although it is actually in my socket A system, it will be boxed again before the weekend is over.

Found that B550 C/CSM here at Walmart actually of all places. 119 bucks. Link

I kinda dig the legacy green PCB. Don't see that much anymore on desktop systems unless it's OEM.

how are vrmS on this one? Sorry again as i said i'm quite ignorant jumping from 10 years ago tech and dunno how to check Even a tip in "what to check" for vrms  to dont bother you guys in future would be ok.  I did read here and thread linked to get  a better grasp , also when i check adapters i rad always mixed results from review  . Waiting am4 market to settle things up with cpus and supprt to plan a proper build. Usually i keep pc 24/7 ,asus mobo has an auto mode to use bit  less energy , and then switch to full "turbo intel "mode when i use for music  vstis drumes blah blah )  and stuff like that.Actually At that time they did advice me to care about vrms for long run life too. Again glad i found some infos finally

Spoiler

Audigy ( 1 , 2 , zs , 3 cards still in house ) with front panel ( so comfy for guitar /mic /headphine separated ins out) and custom drivers ( Kx drivers ) which literally transform the card in something else , much more similar to creamware stuff where you can route anything in everything about I/O in software just by "drawing lines ". plus adding custom stuff in between ,so yes particular needing out of the general market indeed

26 minutes ago, Alexlotta said:

how are vrmS on this one? Sorry again as i said i'm quite ignorant jumping from 10 years ago tech and dunno how to check Even a tip in "what to check" for vrms  to dont bother you guys in future would be ok.  I did read here and thread linked to get  a better grasp , also when i check adapters i rad always mixed results from review  . Waiting am4 market to settle things up with cpus and supprt to plan a proper build. Usually i keep pc 24/7 ,asus mobo has an auto mode to use bit  less energy , and then switch to full "turbo intel "mode when i use for music  vstis drumes blah blah )  and stuff like that.Actually At that time they did advice me to care about vrms for long run life too. Again glad i found some infos finally

Reveal hidden contents

Audigy ( 1 , 2 , zs , 3 cards still in house ) with front panel ( so comfy for guitar /mic /headphine separated ins out) and custom drivers ( Kx drivers ) which literally transform the card in something else , much more similar to creamware stuff where you can route anything in everything about I/O in software just by "drawing lines ". plus adding custom stuff in between ,so yes particular needing out of the general market indeed

Well it's got bottom of the barrel VRM set up. Would be great for 65w chips or lower. So 90a max I would pull on this motherboard. So 5600,3600,2600 ect.

Would want to put active cooling (a fan) right on the VRM package area to ensure cooling while this board lacks VRM heatsinks. 

Believe it or not, the board actually supports the 5950X, but it would be severely power restricted.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Pro-B550M-C-CSM/

hello, I was wondering if this board has what you're seeking for... 

product_2_20170217102839_58a65fd761f9b.thumb.png.9fbf911a4786b9f35c7d934a6ac491fe.png

I think it has 2 pci slots? and vrms too! 

I have this board, it's pretty good, it didn't blow up yet, the bios sux tho.. 

but I think it has pci slots? 

there's even new bios (you'd have to check im using old bios for 3600 )

And it's available!? 

https://www.idealo.fr/prix/5320640/msi-b350m-mortar.html

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 8:02 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Well it's got bottom of the barrel VRM set up. Would be great for 65w chips or lower. So 90a max I would pull on this motherboard. So 5600,3600,2600 ect.

Would want to put active cooling (a fan) right on the VRM package area to ensure cooling while this board lacks VRM heatsinks. 

Believe it or not, the board actually supports the 5950X, but it would be severely power restricted.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Pro-B550M-C-CSM/

thanks i missed your post( no notification). WHen i do 24/ i tend to avoid fan on Mobos .Uhm bottom of the barrel , so based on what you said getting  the best ball would be  65w 5600x ( ryzen 5 ,zen 3 )  or 3700x  ( ryzen 7, zen 2 ) right ( get confused by those i thope i'm right ) ? ( cause 3900  "not-x" ryzen 9  is not sold at customers)
**QUESTION mate :
it has a Thunderbolt Header i see , which version it is ?  Cause in future may think about that  way to go with music card I/O ( though i have still to see a card that offers what i like in My Audigy with Kx drivers : which is Mic/line-In AND Digital spdif-in + amped headphones all in front  , that  in the right  price /performance right range  ) .

Would i feel the "jump" in tech in your opinion when loading many vstis effects and so on ? Still monitoring  the market , damn some usbs of mine are gone , and if not for thunderbolt stuff i cant see many advantages in those 10 years of tech jump , but maybe is just me LOLZ .
I just hope secure boot on those stupid asuses  can be still disabled as it is a Pita to me  using more than one O,S  At times and i have a custom 7 for my music stuff ( secure boot hates it)

On 2/7/2021 at 8:33 PM, Mark Kaine said:

hello, I was wondering if this board has what you're seeking for... 

product_2_20170217102839_58a65fd761f9b.thumb.png.9fbf911a4786b9f35c7d934a6ac491fe.png

I think it has 2 pci slots? and vrms too! 

I have this board, it's pretty good, it didn't blow up yet, the bios sux tho.. 

but I think it has pci slots? 

there's even new bios (you'd have to check im using old bios for 3600 )

And it's available!? 

https://www.idealo.fr/prix/5320640/msi-b350m-mortar.html

That one has clearly to me no LEGACY pci and oldie at usb stuff and so on ,but thanks 

3 hours ago, Alexlotta said:

thanks i missed your post( no notification). WHen i do 24/ i tend to avoid fan on Mobos .Uhm bottom of the barrel , so based on what you said getting  the best ball would be  65w 5600x ( ryzen 5 ,zen 3 )  or 3700x  ( ryzen 7, zen 2 ) right ( get confused by those i thope i'm right ) ? ( cause 3900  "not-x" ryzen 9  is not sold at customers)
**QUESTION mate :
it has a Thunderbolt Header i see , which version it is ?  Cause in future may think about that  way to go with music card I/O ( though i have still to see a card that offers what i like in My Audigy with Kx drivers : which is Mic/line-In AND Digital spdif-in + amped headphones all in front  , that  in the right  price /performance right range  ) .

Would i feel the "jump" in tech in your opinion when loading many vstis effects and so on ? Still monitoring  the market , damn some usbs of mine are gone , and if not for thunderbolt stuff i cant see many advantages in those 10 years of tech jump , but maybe is just me LOLZ .
I just hope secure boot on those stupid asuses  can be still disabled as it is a Pita to me  using more than one O,S  At times and i have a custom 7 for my music stuff ( secure boot hates it)

Not sure which version the thunderbolt header is. I would assume the newest of versions, but please don't quote that.

10 years tech jump? 

Notice a difference? 

Well yes for sure. The entire system will simply just be much faster and responsive. You will be about doubling the memory bandwidth and an increase of processor IPC between 50% - 100% performance gains. 

The only concern I have is running windows 7 on a modern board while setting up may be difficult if the board is not equipped with a PS2 port. The biggest battle is always getting USB drivers. 

22 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Not sure which version the thunderbolt header is. I would assume the newest of versions, but please don't quote that.

10 years tech jump? 

Notice a difference? 

Well yes for sure. The entire system will simply just be much faster and responsive. You will be about doubling the memory bandwidth and an increase of processor IPC between 50% - 100% performance gains. 

The only concern I have is running windows 7 on a modern board while setting up may be difficult if the board is not equipped with a PS2 port. The biggest battle is always getting USB drivers. 

Still i wonder as i'm in 6 /10 seconds max  on Win o.s  on boot but yes i optimized my O.s and iguess only with many vstis and so on i would see,side note :**Telemetry ** (and other stuff )for instance... they like to monitor your stuff on pc and so on.. deactivate it and you wont believe how much difference it does ( win 10 for sure too)   . I did not think about usb drivers and stuff did take for granted as covered, my bad ( i hate so much the smartphone like oriented os as 8,1 and 10 , full of useless garbage for me ).

*********** O.T!!  ***And i apologize cause i did not find a thread for that topic:****
Similar thread for INTEL? Cause i did check on my amazon and price are aligned , with intel  using more tdp on their Cpu(  to be "on par" i guess  , 125w vs 65w amd )  
I'm a bit O.T but i found a GIGABYTE  H470 Hd3 not available on amazon nor in neweggs but some shops have how is PWm??
It looks Good having all and all ( they speak about 6+2 power or something That's why i'm asking ,  +6 sata port instead of usual  4 which i like, Thunderbolt and 3.2 ) for gen 10 intel ?  Also i found some chips can go "down in tdp " or something reaching 100 ( i guess they did to calm down people about the raised tdp)
I'm foreigner ,so no newegg for me,  though is great as a "search engine" .Only downside i discovered is maybe h470 does not allow overclocking and some else like memory is locked or restricted  by cpu  on h470 if not an i7 ( they are silly stupid mad as always i see)   , meaning a "k" processor is futile but needed ( well 3700x costs as 10700k here  )
****O.T****END

So anyone got one of those boards and tried a soundcard on it? I just ordered Biostar B550 GTA to go with my Xonar Essence ST, but I'm afraid of delay and other problems. Worst case scenario I think I'll return it and go for Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE I was planning to get and hope its onboard audio is satisfactory.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, Loote said:

So anyone got one of those boards and tried a soundcard on it? I just ordered Biostar B550 GTA to go with my Xonar Essence ST, but I'm afraid of delay and other problems. Worst case scenario I think I'll return it and go for Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE I was planning to get and hope its onboard audio is satisfactory.

ON  The kxdrivers  forum some  tried the adapter (https://forum.hardwareheaven.com/forums/kx-project-audio-driver-support-forum.67/)
; some worked well some NOT .. FOR MUSIC stuff  .But for  not-music production i would suggest that adapter route. directly on  the Motherboard you mentioned , cause if it's not for music production but to hear music is should be enough .it takes planning though on spaces and checking case /adapter models and so on , quite annoying in that way ,
The troubles ( even if theoretically should be the same things an adapter and a mobo with legacy pci slot since is bridged  ) were mainly  in music / Daw stuff . Me too i would have not bothered otherwise , i 'm just too used as my main fast environment and would also dont like to mess with spaces /cables and so on as i'm not good at .

On 3/7/2021 at 12:43 PM, Alexlotta said:

but i found a GIGABYTE  H470 Hd3

Ye, needs a bit more emphasis

Gigabyte H470 HD3

spacer.png

Kinda looks like a Z370 HD3P with no parellel port header, but more led connectors, and a CNVi connector to give us a feel for AMR slot days. Same ITE PCI brige, better USB connectors.

May or may not get 11th gen Rocket Lake-S support. B460 boards definitely wont support that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 8:53 AM, hunsnotdead said:

Speaking of which, Gigabyte released F20e BIOS version on march 18 that supports Rocket Lake-S processors (11th gen) up to Core i9-11900K. Ookay, thats a bit over this board, but otherwise its a welcome addition. Asus B460 didnt get support.

Btw Biostar X470GTA got a feb 23 X47BG223.BST BIOS that supports Zen 5000 series Ryzens now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,  Be very careful buying these Gigabyte PCI boards.  They will only run under WIN10 64 bit.  No WIN7 or 8 or 32 bit.

I've just bought myself the ASUS Prime 460M-PLUS with an i5, and wanted to give it a huge thumbs up here for audio work. I have an ESI Juli@ PCI card for audio and I've been able to reduce my ASIO latency to 64 samples at 96khz. That's insane! Previously I would have to use 512 to be sure of getting no skips on my VSTs. Everything just worked perfectly out of the box and Geekbench is rating my new system at more than double the score of my previous AM3+ based Gigabyte PCI board.

Also, adding to the list of boards here Gigabyte have just come out with the B560M DH3 ATX board with one PCI slot. This supports 11th gen processors. Not something I really needed right now, but good for future upgrades. At any rate I'm happy with my B460M based ASUS board and wanted to recommend it to anyone here who is into ultra low latency ASIO applications.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 2:47 PM, howie_q said:

I've just bought myself the ASUS Prime 460M-PLUS with an i5, and wanted to give it a huge thumbs up here for audio work. I have an ESI Juli@ PCI card for audio and I've been able to reduce my ASIO latency to 64 samples at 96khz. That's insane! Previously I would have to use 512 to be sure of getting no skips on my VSTs. Everything just worked perfectly out of the box and Geekbench is rating my new system at more than double the score of my previous AM3+ based Gigabyte PCI board.

Also, adding to the list of boards here Gigabyte have just come out with the B560M DH3 ATX board with one PCI slot. This supports 11th gen processors. Not something I really needed right now, but good for future upgrades. At any rate I'm happy with my B460M based ASUS board and wanted to recommend it to anyone here who is into ultra low latency ASIO applications.

Thanks for tips. Yeah ,I'm using native ASIO drivers too, with my sound card.I would be happy with 10th gen of Intel.

But I already own Ryzen 3700x CPU ,motherboard with no PCI slots😟My sound card is PCI.

(PCIe to PCI adapter is not working with B450 motherboard...)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, temporalsounds said:

WOW , this is really nice AMD motherboard with PCI

EDIT : Purchased today from Amazon store.😂

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=984

Biostar B550.png

would love to know your experience / impressions with this mb.. i'm also looking for a mobo with pci to run a ryzen 5800x.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 9:21 AM, dcaspar said:

would love to know your experience / impressions with this mb.. i'm also looking for a mobo with pci to run a ryzen 5800x.

Just bought the Biostar b550gta along with an AMD 3800xt to provide support for my E-MU 1616m PCI soundcard. Still waiting for the DDR4 memory to be delivered (10 days) but once that's done I'll report on the performance.

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2021 at 3:40 AM, mausmusic said:

Just bought the Biostar b550gta along with an AMD 3800xt to provide support for my E-MU 1616m PCI soundcard. Still waiting for the DDR4 memory to be delivered (10 days) but once that's done I'll report on the performance.

impossible tio find here since the time you posted it , was never available ( got mixed reviews too i hope you find still nice)

On 7/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, temporalsounds said:

WOW , this is really nice AMD motherboard with PCI

EDIT : Purchased today from Amazon store.😂

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=984

Biostar B550.png

How you find it after all this time ( unavailable anywhere though)

ù_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
on the Intel Side , as said before , Gygabyte offers that with chips b560 ( to keep thread valid as a source of infos):
Memory support:3200mh with i5 11th , beyond 3200( 3600mhz etc etc ) with i7 11th
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-D3H-rev-10#kf

I'm seriously looking at adapters too though , as i 'm reading i7  isn't much worthy.. problem is that my pc shows signs of hardware malfunctions sometime . those fokking adpters a re a pita to install and i read mixed reviews about everyone

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2021 at 9:21 AM, dcaspar said:

Hi ,apologize for late responses.

The internet is huge and billions of forums ,you know.

https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/811773-legacy-pci-support-new-mobos-doubt-6.html?highlight=pci+legacy#post15808277