File hosting website help?

AllHokage
Go to solution Solved by Hazy125,

The easiest way is to just put the file in a zip file and link to the zip the same way you would link to anything(<a href="file.zip">Text</a>). Zip files are automatically downloaded. You could also use some simple PHP code to force downloading of other file types outside of zip if you would prefer

I have a small personal site, where I want users to be able to download small project files I upload (1MB-100MB).

I was wanting to have download links, where the user clicks a link and it downloads without visiting any other site.

So my question is how would I do this and are there any free hosting file hosting sites that have this feature or would I have to host the files myself?

Might add this later...

The easiest way is to just put the file in a zip file and link to the zip the same way you would link to anything(<a href="file.zip">Text</a>). Zip files are automatically downloaded. You could also use some simple PHP code to force downloading of other file types outside of zip if you would prefer

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

1 minute ago, Hazy125 said:

Ok thanks, that sounds like what I want. :)

Might add this later...

A word of warning, if you generate too much traffic to your website your hosting provider or your ISP (depending on where it's hosted) might cut you off.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

A word of warning, if you generate too much traffic to your website your hosting provider or your ISP (depending on where it's hosted) might cut you off.

I guess it might be better too just use a file hosting website then. Thanks for the warning. 

Might add this later...

5 hours ago, AllHokage said:

I guess it might be better too just use a file hosting website then. Thanks for the warning. 

I know someone who has a server running at home which sent over 40TB of data in one month, he recieved a call from the ISP about it: "there might be a virus on your computer which uses a lot of data" "No, I have a server running at home".

they offered him a business contract, he refused because that was a lot more expensive. after that the hung up, but didn't block him or something.

(this was in the Netherlands, don't know which ISP he uses)

it might be a good idea to check the maximum data usage of your ISP, and if that is enough for what you think you will use, just set up a server at home. or call them to ask it, so you can be 100% sure if its possible/allowed

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!