How do I store my cpu while replacing my mobo?

franken

I am replacing my motherboard and need to store my cpu safely in the meantime. what is the best way to do so? 

Thanks!

Do you have the original packaging for the CPU?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you still have the box it came with, just put it in the box.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Why not just leave it in place on the old board until the new motherboard is installed, then switch it? The new mobo should have a cover over the socket.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Why not just leave it in place on the old board until the new motherboard is installed, then switch it? The new mobo should have a cover over the socket.

The RMA process may require that the old board be sent in - if it's an RMA that is.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The RMA process may require that the old board be sent in - if it's an RMA that is.

Ah, true, didn't consider an RMA. I just assumed it was a board swap.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

Just now, Selkom said:

What is an RMA ?

Return Merchandise Authorization. It's returning a product or replacing it due to defects. 

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Return Merchandise Authorization. It's returning a product or replacing it due to defects. 

Ok Thanks you ! :D

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

In your pocket

Or just stick it in your mouth 

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Ah, true, didn't consider an RMA. I just assumed it was a board swap.

yea i have to sent the old board back first before i can get the new unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

A cardboard box should be fine, but if you want to be extra careful then use one of these.

okay ill do that. I still have a non static bag and the box it came in.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Do you have the original packaging for the CPU?

Yes and I still have the non static bag as well

I put mine is a napkin, I just made sure it was clean, it's been like that for years now.5a3310e3da160_2017-12-1419_00_43.thumb.jpg.3bfe2a9bcef10ad159767bb8991ba3ef.jpg5a3310e0764bc_2017-12-1419_00_17.thumb.jpg.bfce018fb41e977789f2f0245b5dd0d3.jpg