College laptop around 450$

Hi, 

I've been looking for a college laptop for a while now and although I seem to have a general picture of my picks, I am still a bit puzzled about specific configurations. I would really appreciate if you guys helped me.

I would like to use this laptop mostly for school work (Microsoft Office), watching Netflix, YouTube and I definitely want it to be fast. Sometimes I also do some work with Adobe InDesign. 

Number 1 on my list so far:

HP 250 - Intel Pentium N4200, 8GB of RAM, Intel HD 505 Graphics, 128GB SSD and a 1366 x 768 display. 

It's possible to have a different configuration with this laptop, for example with a worse Celeron N3060 CPU, but also a better 1920 x 1080p display. 

I don't really know which parts of my laptop I will use the most, but I need to close my budget at around 450$ (the HP on my list is 470$ in my country) 

Could you tell me on what parts I should focus the most? Also, will I notice the difference in better parts during those tasks that I mentioned? 

Are there any other models in that price range that are worth looking at? 

Or is it not worth spending that much for school work only and it's better to buy for example ASUS Vivobook, which costs a bit less? 

Cheers

Is new a requirement? Because laptops in this price range new are poorly built and are compromised af.

What's your location?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

If you can stretch a bit more, there's an Asus Vivobook with 8250U CPU (but many compromies like mediocre battery life, mediocre input devices, OKish build material etc)

I suggest you to get a used business laptop with QM CPU (can change, not soldered), much better overall build quality, speedy performance and long battery life (with new battery). Just make sure it has a 1080p display and maybe add more RAM or SSD

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

27 minutes ago, rafalpl1 said:

-snip-

If all you are going to be doing is stuff on the internet then I'm actually going to recommend a Chromebook (yes, a Chromebook). I own one and for typing and watching youtube I think that it is actually a good experience. You usually get free space in google drive and you get google docs, slides, sheets and other google apps. Not to mention that the battery lasts forever (mine usually lasts 7 hours on medium brightness and streaming video). You won't be able to use inDesign though

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

6 hours ago, rafalpl1 said:

Hi, 

I've been looking for a college laptop for a while now and although I seem to have a general picture of my picks, I am still a bit puzzled about specific configurations. I would really appreciate if you guys helped me.

I would like to use this laptop mostly for school work (Microsoft Office), watching Netflix, YouTube and I definitely want it to be fast. Sometimes I also do some work with Adobe InDesign. 

Number 1 on my list so far:

HP 250 - Intel Pentium N4200, 8GB of RAM, Intel HD 505 Graphics, 128GB SSD and a 1366 x 768 display. 

It's possible to have a different configuration with this laptop, for example with a worse Celeron N3060 CPU, but also a better 1920 x 1080p display. 

I don't really know which parts of my laptop I will use the most, but I need to close my budget at around 450$ (the HP on my list is 470$ in my country) 

Could you tell me on what parts I should focus the most? Also, will I notice the difference in better parts during those tasks that I mentioned? 

Are there any other models in that price range that are worth looking at? 

Or is it not worth spending that much for school work only and it's better to buy for example ASUS Vivobook, which costs a bit less? 

Cheers

I think that's a pretty good choice. The SSD and RAM capacity would surely help make the most out of the weaker CPU.

This one might be snappier:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-LED-Backlit-Bluetooth-MaxxAudio/dp/B075631BY6

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Is new a requirement? Because laptops in this price range new are poorly built and are compromised af.

What's your location?

Poland - definitely not a First World country

Forget about all of these other computers and join the THINKPAD MASTER RACE!!! :) Just buy a T430

These things can become beast little machines!

Display: 1600x900 (Not Terrible in my opinion)

CPU: i7-3840QM (Still out performs current gen laptop CPU's)

RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3

I've got 3 1tb SSD's in it, one is mSATA which is at SATA2 speeds but I've never really noticed a difference and I use it as my boot drive.

You can build one of these beasts minus my drives for around $300 - $450 and it will outperform anything else in this price range, and if needed you could even go to a 3940XM which is overclockable with a nice HFS upgrade. I run one of these in my Elitebook 8570w and it handles anything I throw at it with ease.

Plus on top of the insane performance you could add the legendary XX20 series keyboard for an orgasmic typing experience lol

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

$450 gets you a 2-3 year old Latitude, Thinkpad or Elitebook, which you can easily upgrade yourself in most cases.

In your price range, according to eBay listings:

- Latitude 7440

- ThinkPad T450

- EliteBook 840 G2

All excellent laptops with great build quality.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro