Help with material for desk build

Jayliss

I am looking to build a desk out of hardwood. I am gonna paint in black. I was thinking oak. The wood has to be strong. I wood with a nice texture would be good. Any suggestions? I'm just gonna pick up some black steel legs from the local hardware store. 

Red Oak is a solid wood to use, Cheap and pretty nice. Another wood that is really cool, but more expensive spalted maple. It looks amazing, but I wouldnt get it if you are going to paint it, wouldnt be worth the money. 

If you plan to paint it I would go with Poplar or Pine.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

cce.jpg

If you're going to go with a decent wood, i would suggest against painting it. Natural wood looks much more better than painted. Varnish wood > Painted

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

If you plan to paint it I would go with Poplar or Pine.

Something to watch out with softer woods like those is that it'll gather dents, dings, and scratches easier than a harder wood would.

That said, I'd likely go with poplar or pine for the supporting structure as they're fairly cheap and won't have as much contact with other objects, but something such as maple or oak for the table top as they'll be harder and more durable.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

As others have said, I would go for something cheaper (unless Oak is cheap af for some reason there) if you're going to paint it.

16 hours ago, Jayliss said:

I am looking to build a desk out of hardwood. I am gonna paint in black. I was thinking oak. The wood has to be strong. I wood with a nice texture would be good. Any suggestions? I'm just gonna pick up some black steel legs from the local hardware store. 

Just look for either oak or maple butcher block for countertops, they come in various lengths and would be well if you get some sturdy legs for it.