HEVC video in MS Edge not working

Dzhimen
Go to solution Solved by Tabs,

Does the store page for the HEVC decoder show you actually have it installed or not? I clean installed 16299.15 on my machine, so I didn't have HEVC installed and had to get it from the store, but my partner upgraded to it (originally from 10240 way back in 2015) and had it already.

The link is here, click it and then see if Store opens saying "Launch" or "Install". If it says "Install", then you need to install it, and restart all Edge processes.

Hello.

I am having a small problem (more like an inconvenience) and was hoping somebody would help me indentify the problem, because im all out of ideas.

I am trying to get Microsoft Edge browser to play HEVC videos. As far as i understand, MS Edge does support HEVC playback if there is hardware support for it. It did work on my previous laptop (i5-5200U and AMD R5 M255 disccrete GPU). I currently have Acer Laptop with Intel UHD 620 graphics (i5-8250U) and whenever I try to play HEVC videos in mp4 contanter in MS Edge, i get the message "Invalid source" and the video doesnt play. My new laptop does not have a discrete GPU. 

For example, the first video from this site was working on my old laptop, but now i get the "Invalid source" message on my new one. 

Intel UHD 620 iGPU supports h265/HEVC hardware acceleration. I have the installed and updated GPU drivers (in windows 10 device manager, the driver for Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 is version 22.20.16.4815), I am running latest windows 10 version (FCU - 1709-16299.98, MS Edge version is "Microsoft Edge 41.16299.15.0" and "Microsoft EdgeHTML 16.16299".

Where is the problem? Can anyone with same CPU test the linked video and report if it works? I am experiencing some other minor GPU glitches and am starting to suspect that there is something wrong with the driver or the chip...

Thank You very much in advance. 

Have a nice day. :)

Does the store page for the HEVC decoder show you actually have it installed or not? I clean installed 16299.15 on my machine, so I didn't have HEVC installed and had to get it from the store, but my partner upgraded to it (originally from 10240 way back in 2015) and had it already.

The link is here, click it and then see if Store opens saying "Launch" or "Install". If it says "Install", then you need to install it, and restart all Edge processes.

Wow! Just... wow! O.o

I searched the web and tried to figure this out for more than an hour. Nowhere did I come across this solution. Clicked, installed and after 30s, the thinng works. I can't thank you enough! Amazing! :D

And You're right, my previous laptop was upgraded to Fall Creators Update, this one was a fresh install. So I guess that has something to do with it. Still dont know why does this functionality need to be intalled separately though... But nevermind, I'm just glad it works now.9_9

Thanks again, You're awesome! ;)

3 minutes ago, Dzhimen said:

Wow! Just... wow! O.o

I searched the web and tried to figure this out for more than an hour. Nowhere did I come across this solution. Clicked, installed and after 30s, the thinng works. I can't thank you enough! Amazing! :D

And You're right, my previous laptop was upgraded to Fall Creators Update, this one was a fresh install. So I guess that has something to do with it. Still dont know why does this functionality need to be intalled separately though... But nevermind, I'm just glad it works now.9_9

Thanks again, You're awesome! ;)

Glad it was as easy as that :)

From what I remember, this change was basically looking to phase in the ability to have codecs on the store, so that instead of having to wait up to 6 months for a new windows release to have baked in codec support (in future, like with AV1 or any other codecs that might arrive), people can just download it off the store right away regardless of Windows 10 version.

But I admit, it's a pain in the butt right now since HEVC was already baked in and now isn't.