Nvidia Announces Titan V (Volta!)

Max_Settings

designed for compute. 110 TFLOPS

it's a mining card. a very very fast mining card i bet.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Can't wait for the Titan Vp to come out next year.

It will be titan v sp2 get it right

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, System Error Message said:

the price is a let down. Nvidia GPUs have had price hikes generation by generation.

Please explain why the price is a let down.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

the price is a let down. Nvidia GPUs have had price hikes generation by generation.

Let down in what way? compared to what? This card is cheaper then the cards it actually competes with. 

Just now, William Payne said:

Let down in what way? compared to what? This card is cheaper then the cards it actually competes with. 

What does it compete with? The previous gen? Previous gen is not a competitor for this card.

Just now, jasonvp said:

Please explain why the price is a let down.

You should take into account nvidia GPU release pricing history. Once you do you will see that nvidia increases the price each generation, only in some cases cuts back the prices when there is competition.

1 minute ago, System Error Message said:

What does it compete with? The previous gen? Previous gen is not a competitor for this card.

This card is in the competition line up with the tesla cards, the quadro p5000,p6000 and gp100. 

You should take into account nvidia GPU release pricing history. Once you do you will see that nvidia increases the price each generation, only in some cases cuts back the prices when there is competition.

I'm not sure you understand what this card is positioned as, which is why I worded my question the way I did.  This is NOT a GTX card.  It's a compute card.  Akin to the Quaddro cards, which are also very expensive.

Don't compare the price of this card to previous GTX series cards.  You're sort of missing the point if you do.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 minute ago, William Payne said:

This card is in the competition line up with the tesla cards, the quadro p5000,p6000 and gp100. 

Just now, jasonvp said:

I'm not sure you understand what this card is positioned as, which is why I worded my question the way I did.  This is NOT a GTX card.  It's a compute card.  Akin to the Quaddro cards, which are also very expensive.

Don't compare the price of this card to previous GTX series cards.  You're sort of missing the point if you do.

Im not comparing this to GTX or gaming cards. Im comparing this to the previous titan line ups. The titan even the first one was actually a compute card featuring a compute mode that boosted the fp64 performance significantly. Nvidia removed this feature from the original titan via driver updates.

The titan is in its own line up, separate from the quadro which is also separate from the tesla. The titan is basically a budget tesla having the same chip but without the DMA and p2p device software the tesla has, including some virtual GPU stuff as well.

Most people in this forums really dont know their stuff.

-snip-

Edited by AmbarChakrabarti
Entirely wrong info

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

Im not comparing this to GTX or gaming cards. Im comparing this to the previous titan line ups. The titan even the first one was actually a compute card featuring a compute mode that boosted the fp64 performance significantly. Nvidia removed this feature from the original titan via driver updates.

The titan is in its own line up, separate from the quadro which is also separate from the tesla. The titan is basically a budget tesla having the same chip but without the DMA and p2p device software the tesla has, including some virtual GPU stuff as well.

We aren't saying its the same type of card, we are saying that is what it is competing with. 

1 minute ago, William Payne said:

We aren't saying its the same type of card, we are saying that is what it is competing with. 

again, its not competing with anything. Its in its own line up. It cant compete with the tesla as it doesnt have the same software stuff the tesla has in its firmware and drivers that actually gives it the server advantage. It doesnt come with the drivers the quadro comes with, neither the ECC vram and the huge amounts of vram that quadro comes with. It doesnt compete with older titans either.

To take into account pricing history, The titan (up to maxwell) costs $1000 on release. The titan x pascal/xp costs $1200 on release. Now the titan V costs $3000.

As i keep asking, compete with what? It doesnt compete with the tesla. Nvidia wont release products that compete internally.

Be careful when saying such things.  FWIW I've been using the Titans since the original Kepler versions.  I know full well what they were marketed as, and what they were capable of.

This is a different card than the previous GTX Titans.  Yes, GTX Titans; the Kepler Titans were called "GTX".  It's clearly positioned to bridge the gap between the consumer level GTX cards (whenever they come out) and the top dog GV100 card.

There's nothing wrong with the pricing of this card.

5 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Be careful when saying such things.  FWIW I've been using the Titans since the original Kepler versions.  I know full well what they were marketed as, and what they were capable of.

This is a different card than the previous GTX Titans.  Yes, GTX Titans; the Kepler Titans were called "GTX".  It's clearly positioned to bridge the gap between the consumer level GTX cards (whenever they come out) and the top dog GV100 card.

There's nothing wrong with the pricing of this card.

i've been using titans too. Just not happy with all the titan releases. It took AMD to come out with vega to make nvidia finally make the titan relevant again. I myself do compute as well.

Edit: there is also a trend on this forum and the net to rate hardware by its gaming performance which has caused AMD problems when they released their bulldozer architecture which was actually a good daily CPU, especially if you do compilations.

5 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

i've been using titans too. Just not happy with all the titan releases. It took AMD to come out with vega to make nvidia finally make the titan relevant again. I myself do compute as well.

Edit: there is also a trend on this forum and the net to rate hardware by its gaming performance which has caused AMD problems when they released their bulldozer architecture which was actually a good daily CPU, especially if you do compilations.

like judging CPUs on their FPS impact.

like I got so use to having multiple things open on my PC that I run into CPU bottle necks a lot and a 6c+ CPU would help better then a CPU that clocks higher, even in games for me.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

27 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Be careful with your words... if volta for gaming comes soon in mid 2018, ill quote you on this.

Nvidia hasn't confirmed there will be gaming cards based on Volta at all, so chances are they'll skip over Volta until AMD's Navi hits the shelves.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

Yeah I wish people wouldn't do that, I am not sure why people can't just accept that some things aren't for gaming and that that is ok. But it seems every time something comes out that isn't good for gaming even if it has a great use for something else, people complain. 

4 minutes ago, William Payne said:

Yeah I wish people wouldn't do that, I am not sure why people can't just accept that some things aren't for gaming and that that is ok. But it seems every time something comes out that isn't good for gaming even if it has a great use for something else, people complain. 

That's because a lot of people don't know what a professional is. They just want their minecraft to run at 300fps LOL

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

like judging CPUs on their FPS impact.

like I got so use to having multiple things open on my PC that I run into CPU bottle necks a lot and a 6c+ CPU would help better then a CPU that clocks higher, even in games for me.

gotta close all that memory and cpu hogging social :P

Just leave facebook open for a few days and look at your ram and CPU usage.

2 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

gotta close all that memory and cpu hogging social :P

Just leave facebook open for a few days and look at your ram and CPU usage.

well I haven't gone to face book in 3 years. I do have 32GB of ram so I rarely run into ram issues.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

12 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

They'll have to give one to Mike Pence

he probably has a windows xp from 02

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Can't wait for the Titan Vp to come out next year.

Maybe they just call it Titan V again.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

So reading between the lines here from the direction the Multi-GPU side of things has gone... could we see NVLink being it's eventual successor in the future? 

I mean DX12 does support NVLink paired Quadro cards, so given it's benefits and the direction the whole multi-gpu side of things is going, we honestly could see NVLink Geforce cards in the future. Maybe not with Volta, but in 5-6 years when Dx12 has fully matured and is the default API and DX11 becomes irreverent.

NVLink opens up so many benefits for multi-gpu support & performance. You could almost guarantee over 100-150% performance scaling across 2 cards given just how NVLink works. Compare that to the usually 30-80% average scaling SLI offers, and is SO 3rd party support dependent. 

Might just be wishful thinking, but just imagine. 

I really can't wait to see the first lot of indepth looks at 2 Titans V's together.

1 minute ago, Modzy said:

I really can't wait to see the first lot of indepth looks at 2 Titans V's together.

But it'll all be software driven.  No NVLink or SLI support on the Titan V card.