Asus x99 Deluxe Bent Capacitor

I bought an Asus x99 Deluxe at a local computer store for a bangin deal (193 with tax), but it was used. Apparently they buy stuff that were returns from amazon resellers. Anyway, it was just the board with nothing else, and as I was putting the ram in I noticed one of the capacitors in the top right corner of the board was bent, and at a significant angle, nearly 45 degrees. Should I be worried? Should I return it? Or should I build on?! 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

How bent?

In the solder/wire? Shouldn't be an issue.

Will upload a photo! 

Upload to here. Don't want to download it

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, Archangel121 said:

IMG_8477.JPG

Ummm, that looks kinda bad but should be easily fixed with solder. It may cause issues if there is insufficient contact with the PCB which according to picture is difficult to say but in my opinion you should get that fixed first.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Ummm, that looks kinda bad but should be easily fixed with solder. It may cause issues if there is insufficient contact with the PCB which according to picture is difficult to say but in my opinion you should get that fixed first.

I figured as much. I appreciate it! Definitely doesn't look good, also not terribly comfortable fixing it myself considering this is my first build. 

that is an electrolytic capacitor, they dont usually break loose like polymer capacitors do.  It looks like the leg pulled out of the capacitor slightly, but it still soldered firmly to the board.  On electrolytics you can sometimes just push the leads back down into the capacitor and everything will work fine for a while, but usually the seal on them is broken and they will leak.  the black stuff on the leg almost looks like it has already leaked some.  The other thing is that a lot of the time the capacitors in that part of the board are just filtering capacitors and the board can function mostly normally without them being there so you could just leave it as is and see if it boots.  if its a charge capacitor it probably wont boot.  That would be an easy fix for someone with soldering experience though. 

33 minutes ago, intender said:

that is an electrolytic capacitor, they dont usually break loose like polymer capacitors do.  It looks like the leg pulled out of the capacitor slightly, but it still soldered firmly to the board.  On electrolytics you can sometimes just push the leads back down into the capacitor and everything will work fine for a while, but usually the seal on them is broken and they will leak.  the black stuff on the leg almost looks like it has already leaked some.  The other thing is that a lot of the time the capacitors in that part of the board are just filtering capacitors and the board can function mostly normally without them being there so you could just leave it as is and see if it boots.  if its a charge capacitor it probably wont boot.  That would be an easy fix for someone with soldering experience though. 

Super helpful, thanks! I just returned it. I didn't want to deal with that my first time around, despite it potentially being an easy fix. I didn't want it to lead to anything down the line, potentially having to replace anything else. Ill just have to find another x99 board online. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it! 

The capacitor could have been fine, but for future reference you can see that the legs were pulled out with the copper and solder from within the hole (very bad, impossible to fix). So while it may have worked OK, it would be impossible to resolder it to the internal power layers where it was actually ripped away.
The little ceramic cap to the left of the electrolytic also doesnt loop too happy, since it was cracked away.
So in short, you did the right thing returning it :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 4:16 PM, stennly said:

The capacitor could have been fine, but for future reference you can see that the legs were pulled out with the copper and solder from within the hole (very bad, impossible to fix). So while it may have worked OK, it would be impossible to resolder it to the internal power layers where it was actually ripped away.
The little ceramic cap to the left of the electrolytic also doesnt loop too happy, since it was cracked away.
So in short, you did the right thing returning it :)

Wow thanks, I didn't realize the little ceramic cap was all messed up too. I ended up getting an Asus x99 e, mostly because my budget wouldn't allow for anything else much more expensive. ANNND, I built the system thursday as well and its running great! Only issue was one of the lanes didn't want to recognize either of the ram sticks so I just switched up the slots I put them in and its running graet!