I'd recently been given a film camera as a gift and I have purchased a roll of film for it in order for me to test the waters before plunging backwards in time to film photography. Considering the fact the film is expensive, I intend to only take a few images here and there from a roll of 36. 

I was wondering if it is safe to shoot with a roll of film and then keep that roll in the camera until the next shoot up to several weeks later?

Or am I meant to go through the roll of 36 as fast as possible after loading it. If so, what consequences would arise if I did leave the film in and stored the camera. 

I store my camera equipment in a dark dehumidified airtight container.

Thanks in advance

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

2 minutes ago, ttam said:

As someone old enough to remember film cameras.. You will be fine. Just leave it in dark areas. Light is the enemy.

Okay, so a few weeks to a month are fine?

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

18 minutes ago, another random person said:

I'd recently been given a film camera as a gift and I have purchased a roll of film for it in order for me to test the waters before plunging backwards in time to film photography. Considering the fact the film is expensive, I intend to only take a few images here and there from a roll of 36. 

I was wondering if it is safe to shoot with a roll of film and then keep that roll in the camera until the next shoot up to several weeks later?

Or am I meant to go through the roll of 36 as fast as possible after loading it. If so, what consequences would arise if I did leave the film in and stored the camera. 

I store my camera equipment in a dark dehumidified airtight container.

Thanks in advance

It's safe, as long as light doesn't leak into the camera body to affect the roll, which 99.9999% of the time never happens unless there's some damage to the camera body like something preventing the cover from properly closing.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

It's safe, as long as light doesn't leak into the camera body to affect the roll, which 99.9999% of the time never happens unless there's some damage to the camera body.

Okay, thank you!

Desktop

LAPTOP