Google is pulling YouTube from Amazon devices (again)

davrosG5

Google is pulling YouTube from Echo Show and Fire TV, as feud with Amazon continues

Amazon and Google’s feud continues today, as Google is pulling its YouTube app – again – from Amazon’s Alexa-powered Echo Show device. This will be followed by the app’s removal from Fire TV in the near future.

So that sucks if they don't come to some agreement. I use my FireTV to watch a fair bit of YT content (including the WAN show) on my TV >:(

4 minutes ago, davrosG5 said:

Google is pulling YouTube from Echo Show and Fire TV, as feud with Amazon continues

So that sucks if they don't come to some agreement. I use my FireTV to watch a fair bit of YT content (including the WAN show) on my TV >:(

Why not just get a cheap but decent laptop and connect it to the TV through HDMI? I never understood the purpose behind stuff like FireTV

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, davrosG5 said:

Just get a Chrome Cast, it's cheaper and as long as you can get it on your Phone or Computer you can stream/cast it to your TV.

4 minutes ago, said:

Just get a Chrome Cast, it's cheaper and as long as you can get it on your Phone or Computer you can stream/cast it to your TV.

This is literally the exact reason Google is pulling YouTube support from the Fire Stick, so people just say hey, lets buy a Chrome Cast instead (made by Google). This really isn't consumer friendly.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

6 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

This is literally the exact reason Google is pulling YouTube support from the Fire Stick, so people just say hey, lets buy a Chrome Cast instead (made by Google). This really isn't consumer friendly.

Who cares, it's how business works Google cares about profit, not Amazon and their customers.

18 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why not just get a cheap but decent laptop and connect it to the TV through HDMI? I never understood the purpose behind stuff like FireTV

A firestick is cheaper and designed for this kind of stuff.

19 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

What if you want to share something on your phone? Also it is not always convenient for people to have a laptop behind their TV.

Hello

16 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

Who cares, it's how business works Google cares about profit, not Amazon and their customers.

You must not understand how laws work... This without a doubt will be put under a microscope.

Just now, Probably Alex said:

Here's hoping that Google doesn't start pulling their content off of Roku devices. 

Agreed, or bluray players

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

29 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

10ft UI and a lightweight OS

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Probably Alex said:

Here's hoping that Google doesn't start pulling their content off of Roku devices. 

Google doesn't have content without the people. They just have a service, a host. They don't have a lot of actual content.

15 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

A firestick is cheaper and designed for this kind of stuff.

£10 more than a ChromeCast

4 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

You must not understand how laws work... This without a doubt will be put under a microscope.

No, you must not understand, Google owns the Copyright to YouTube, they can pull it from any device, anytime they feel like it.

2 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

It's also more powerful than a Chromecast and usable on its own. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, <Aleks> said:

The base fire stick is $4 more in the US. But the Fire Stick is actually worth the cost.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

The base fire stick is $4 more in the US. But the Fire Stick is actually worth the cost.

Every currency is different, for me its a tenner more

its a catch22 for both sides.  Google wants access to more of amazons stuff like prime video and prime music, in addition to amazon selling their products.  Amazon knows that the major selling point of their products is access to prime video and prime music and their sells might go down tremendously if they dont have the only means of accessing them.  The only thing google can do in retaliation is pull youtube.  I recently bought a google home mini and it serves my purposes well since I have an all google ecosystem, the only thing I wish I could do with it that I cant is prime music.  For my wife however who has apple products, she could care less about the google stuff, she just wants something to stream her prime music and connect some smart lightbulbs to. 

I cant help but wonder if google will also pull youtube from the amazon tablets as well.  I had an amazon tablet at one point back when they first came out with the cheaper ones.  We bought it thinking it would be great to give the kids in the car rather than the $300 ipad since it was only about $60 when we got it, and it drove me insane not being able to get on google play and get all my apps that I already owned.  Having to go through the amazon store was a deal breaker for me.  I ended up giving it to my parents because they have a fire stick hooked up their tv and have a bunch of movies that they have bought on prime that they can now watch on the tablet if they want.  They also loved the one click purchase in the amazon store, but with two small kids in the house, being able to buy anything they wanted if they got ahold of the tablet was also a deal breaker.  I think since then they have either password protected purchases or made a way to disable it, but at the time there was no way to stop it

8 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

No, you must not understand, Google owns the Copyright to YouTube, they can pull it from any device, anytime they feel like it.

Unless they get hit with a antitrust lawsuit. Google's ownership of YouTube and all it entails doesn't matter if it infringes on competition laws. Especially in the EU they'll have a hard time pulling anti-consumer shit like that and they've already been smacked a couple of times with more smacks looming in the horizon.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Unless they get hit with a antitrust lawsuit. Google's ownership of YouTube and all it entails doesn't matter if it infringes on competition laws. Especially in the EU they'll have a hard time pulling anti-consumer shit like that and they've already been smacked a couple of times with more smacks looming in the horizon.

But they did it in response to amazon pulling products and support for their products so who wins in that fight?

Honestly, they should come to a consensus soon...

This just screams "childish bickering". I get that business is business.

But guess who ends up losing in this fight.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Hmm, not used any of the devices it is being removed from, but their YouTube 'app' on the fire tablets is literally just a link to the mobile YouTube website xD

Hopefully my fire Tablet won't be affected though, had to manually download the apks for play store/YouTube, so if they block it on those too I'll be pissed. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

8 minutes ago, intender said:

But they did it in response to amazon pulling products and support for their products so who wins in that fight?

It was more of a general statement that large corporations can't hide anti-competitive and/or anti-consumer behavior behind patents or copyright. At least not in first world countries. 

I don't really have a horse in the Google-Amazon race.

Amazon blocks their services from chromecast devices and have been for years, but then google does it and shit hits the fan?

I love double standards!!!! People can whine anti-consumerism all they want but what requires them to have their service on a competitors product? 

11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Amazon blocks their services from chromecast devices and have been for years, but then google does it and shit hits the fan?

People actually care about Youtube, whereas Amazon Prime Video is terrible.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.