IBM Model M Ruined!

So I decided it would be a great idea to give my Ibm Model M a quick clean, so I removed all the keys and blew away all the dust with compressed air and cotton buds then I steeped all the keys in hot soapy water.

All of this went to plan when I went to go dry them and assemble the keyboard back my sister burst into a fit of rage while she was in the other room and then came into the kitchen "The room I was in" and started shouting about god knows what then took the bowl my keys were in and threatened to throw them in a bucket of coal and I was like hell naw and grabbed it back and sat down and carried on cleaning the key caps when she picked it up again and threw it at me, her bad aim meant she completely missed me and hit the cup of tea beside me, knocking it over and spilling the water and the keycaps all over the floor.

I quickly lifted my keyboard and phone"S3" from the table and then cleaned the tea of them but I needed to work down in the farm in like two minutes so I then left the house and fed all the cows" Yes I am a farmer" and returned, she was lucky she cleaned up most of the mess but I still found about 10 more key caps after and assembled the keyboard when I realized that 2 keys were broken" Key pictured below" because I obviously can't type them and being a gamer/ heavy typist these keys are needed all the time so as you can imagine I was pretty pissed and my sister is clearly not very nice...

So I looked on ebay and no key caps for sale at the moment so my only choices is to live with it or buy another model M!

Note bottom picture is an old before picture.

Ps. Does anyone in the UK/Ireland have any spare model m key caps for num pad enter and also a generic keycap, I highly doubt it but if you do give me a shout! Thanks.

post-43522-0-87260200-1386712660_thumb.j

post-43522-0-09283300-1386712695_thumb.j

post-43522-0-88877100-1386712780_thumb.j

post-43522-0-71171200-1386712802_thumb.j

post-43522-0-50004600-1386713604_thumb.j

ahh man i feel your pain. i have two sisters

sometimes i get told for walking around :/

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

This is punishable by death.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I agree new law anyone who damages a Model M purposefully or by mistake shall be killed!!!

Lol maybe ill break my old phone over her face.... Nokia... That's how you know it's gonna hurt!!!

I think the phone would fair considerably better. Those old Nokia's are tanks!

Thats unconstitutional. One must not commit treason against his/her country. This is treason to the world of classics. And I like classics. Send her to 1692. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Yeah if I did it would probably break her nose or maybe even worse, my old nokia is like 3-4 times heavier than my S3 and it can take a fair bit of abuse but any water and it dies...instantly!

I agree new law anyone who damages a Model M purposefully or by mistake shall be killed!!!

Whoa whoa whoa, this isn't the Old Testament now...

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Aw thanks man for the help but doesn't ship to the Uk i'm afraid...Thanks anyway!

Ah damn sorry

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Can't you take out any F-keys and use that for the missing ones for a while before getting the replacements?

Aw man, as a Model M owner myself, I feel your pain dude. But, there's still hope......the board is in good condition, it's just going to be a bitch (pardon my French :D ) finding the replacement caps. Still doable, just keep a lookout at eBay....best of luck to you. :)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

PMS is a bitch...

Also, silver slim ps2, aww yeah

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

So he will keep hitting her until it breaks!

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

Don't fret bud! They sell keycaps for this :)

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/10191/subcatid/0/id/162955

Also, I would have attacked your sister. 

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

So he will keep hitting her until it breaks!

... i think the nokia is going to win that battle 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Can't you take out any F-keys and use that for the missing ones for a while before getting the replacements?

Yeah but it annoys me having any key gone in general, I can do the same for the enter key also it will be smaller though.

This was so painful and sad to read :(. Least you're not a dumbass like me, when I wanted to "clean" my laptop and I just wanted to take the covers out and see if ther is any dust there but then I put the HDD back and the cover and booted my laptop and BAM got some stupid black screen saying "No Operating System Found" and as time passed it got even worse because now if I try to turn it on, well it just wont. Still a mystery to me. What did I do wrong when placing back the covers? It must have been something to do with the HDD as that was the only part I took out and then put back in. Whatver Im getting a new rig and my 1st gaming desktop :). F*ck laptops for gaming! Ain't worth sh*t!

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M