Laptop of my friend has 120+ potential threats according to Malwarebytes, safe to copy school documents?

JorenBus

So the laptop of my friend has been acting up lately so I ran a Malwarebytes scan. It found around 120 potential threats and has placed them in quarantine.

I'm guessing that the easiest solution is to completely wipe the laptop, am I right?

The problem is that she has quite a bit of important school documents on her laptop, is it safe to tranfser these to an external hard drive or not?

If not, how do I fix this without her losing all her school work?

Thanks

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

I'd copy the stuff she needs to the external drive, wipe the laptop, boot something like BitDefender rescue (live usb), plug in the drive and scan it (this is just for extra safety). if files are safe, proceed to install windows on laptop and copy back files

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

24 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

So the laptop of my friend has been acting up lately so I ran a Malwarebytes scan. It found around 120 potential threats and has placed them in quarantine.

I'm guessing that the easiest solution is to completely wipe the laptop, am I right?

The problem is that she has quite a bit of important school documents on her laptop, is it safe to tranfser these to an external hard drive or not?

If not, how do I fix this without her losing all her school work?

Thanks

Wiping the laptop because you found some malware seems a little extreme...

• Is the Laptop acting/running better after you quarantined the malware?  Did you run the malware scan a second time to see if the quarantine was effective?
  • Have you run Windows Defender or an actual antivirus program? Malwayre Bytes really targets spyrware and adware the most, not the kind of stuff that really HURTS your computer.
  • I'd be willing to bet the malware is the just beginning of whats causing the slowdown.  Have you uninstalled all the random crap like Ask Toolbars and Coupon printer software that my coworkers seem to accumulate? 

if there are real 120+ threats on that device, real virus and malwares, not just an "Ask Jeeves" hotbar... then I would use fire to clean it =) 

Else there are threats and there are threats... 

depending on what they are they may even spread to an external device. if some are macro viruses embedded in documents, you'll just spread the virus further when copying the infected files and opening them on other systems... 

there is a good free on demand scanner called Cure It from Dr. Web. that one is quite up to date. always has a different download name.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN