Intel Optane 900p is worth it? Building a new PC.

Noctua_Boy

Im looking to build a new PC that should last me to the next 5 years. Not sure if its worth adding a brand new 280gb intel optane ssd instead of a samsung 960 evo.

Anyone here with any of those drives?

Ultimately is not even the speed , its the idea of having a even more resilient hard drive.

2 minutes ago, Noctua_Boy said:

Im looking to build a new PC that should last me to the next 5 years. Not sure if its worth adding a brand new 280gb intel optane ssd instead of a samsung 960 evo.

Ultimately is not even the speed , its the idea of having a even more resilient hard drive.

which intel optane ssd you thinking about?

3 minutes ago, Noctua_Boy said:

but if you are looking at the 280GB intel optane for 389$, why not get a 1TB 850 evo? more storage, resilient, and last long time. i got 2x500GB 850 evo, and i may have put about 8-12TB written on them and they work fine for what i do. had them for about 3 years now

4 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

but if you are looking at the 280GB intel optane for 389$, why not get a 1TB 850 evo? more storage, resilient, and last long time. i got 2x500GB 850 evo, and i may have put about 8-12TB written on them and they work fine for what i do. had them for about 3 years now

Optane is not used for storage

My life

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

聽yeah? why do you need 280GB of cache then? get a 1 TB 850 evo, put your most used stuff on it, cause thats what optane is. it just stores your most used stuff. so for 300$ for 280GB optane, or 1TB of SSD space which is pretty close to what optane could do. linus did a video on this. HDD + optane, and SSD +optane, and then just SSD alone. and the SSD/SSD+Optane was very little difference

12 minutes ago, Noctua_Boy said:

I have one, used as a game install drive. Didn't make as much difference as hoped but I think I'm CPU bottlenecked.

It is a LOT faster than anything Samsung makes in low QD random reads, plus it is about an order of magnitude higher rated endurance. Still, you're paying for it...

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Look up the 900p mentioned. It is very much a storage device.

Main system:聽i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU聽24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p聽G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I have one, used as a game install drive. Didn't make as much difference as hoped but I think I'm CPU bottlenecked.

It is a LOT faster than anything Samsung makes in low QD random reads, plus it is about an order of magnitude higher rated endurance. Still, you're paying for it...

what

that is a confusing name

My life

1 hour ago, Noctua_Boy said:

Not worth it really. Just get a 1tb ssd for the same price. Why speed up a hdd聽 when you can just go around the problem and get a 1tb ssd and put everything that needs to load fast on there.

15 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

which intel optane ssd you thinking about?

900p 280gb pci express card version.

13 hours ago, jaslion said:

Not worth it really. Just get a 1tb ssd for the same price. Why speed up a hdd聽 when you can just go around the problem and get a 1tb ssd and put everything that needs to load fast on there.

15 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

聽yeah? why do you need 280GB of cache then? get a 1 TB 850 evo, put your most used stuff on it, cause thats what optane is. it just stores your most used stuff. so for 300$ for 280GB optane, or 1TB of SSD space which is pretty close to what optane could do. linus did a video on this. HDD + optane, and SSD +optane, and then just SSD alone. and the SSD/SSD+Optane was very little difference

15 hours ago, Himommies said:

聽Guess Intel should had marketed the brand new 900p Solid states drives better. Most people still think optane is just a cache drive.

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-optane-ssd-900p-280gb-review/

15 hours ago, porina said:

I seen some of the benchmarks on Anantech , i was just wonder what common mortals like us think about it. (day to day usage)

I done a test on my old laptop with DDR3 memory at 1333mhz and the crystal mark results are similar to Optane 900p.

It would be cool to bypass expensive RAM and get a bigger SSD instead , i guess that is Intel's end game.

I think i will get a cheaper EVO 960 SSD and see how Optane plays out.(looks promising).

1540_MRFOX_Lifestyle1.jpg