3D Printing - Models, Tutorials, and Discussion

Delons

22 hours ago, Scheer said:

Figured I'd throw this here rather than starting a new thread. With it getting nicer outside I've been opening up the doors and windows in my shop and the draft was messing up my prints, plus I've been wanting to do some ABS printing, so I started looking into enclosure designs. At first I was just going to do the standard Ikea Lack enclosure, but last weekend I was too impatient to wait for shipping and just ran to Menards and found this Klearvue cabinet. Its basically the Menard's in house brand of Ikea style kitchen furniture.

Size was about perfect, plus the leveling feet gave me room to shove all the power cables below it. Happened to have a 24"x24" desk return surface that was nearly the same color to throw on the top, and some random chunks of oak to make a frame for the plexiglass.

I underestimated how much heat the printer puts out though. When printing ABS the ambient temperature gets to 120 degrees F, so I have a fan controller on the way to exhaust some heat out of there.

Currently just using some shelf pins as the door stop, planning on adding a proper wooden stop with a seal all the way around the door this weekend to completely stop the drafts, and hopefully doing an exhaust fan at the top with an intake on the opposite top side won't create any draft near the print.

Ooooo, that is nice.  Hmmmm, wonder if I can find cabinet like that locally here.  

I finally got my printer together a few weeks back.  Been busy learning what it can and can't do.

Just a nutty gal living near the Gulf.

Ya want fun, come down here, we got heat, humidity, and these big arse storms call hurricanes

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, Titan XP, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Thought I'd share this in case anyone is interested. For my previous job I used an MX Master Mouse 2S for my home office laptop dock. Since this was the same desk as my personal PC, I designed a stand to place the mouse in when I wasn't using it (not really needed, but I thought it would be an interesting challenge to model the mouse contours). I uploaded the STL and ePart models via GitHub. There's also a topology optimized version in a subfolder (less material and shorter print time, plus it has an interesting look).
Both were printed using an Ender 3 with 0.2mm layer heights and 0.4mm nozzle.

Regular version
front_side_mouse_in_stand.thumb.jpg.d98809d870da850468851c32cdfca68d.jpg
Topology optimized version
mouse_stand_topology_optimized_w-mouse.jpg

• 5 months later...

I was wondering if it is worth buying a DIY 3D printer for the business uses because I have seldom seen people looking to assemble 3D printers. 

On 10/7/2020 at 8:24 AM, Benjamin22044 said:

I was wondering if it is worth buying a DIY 3D printer for the business uses because I have seldom seen people looking to assemble 3D printers. 

The upside to a DIY printer used to be that you could save a ton of money, but anymore with how cheap the Creality printers are I would just buy one of those. In my opinion, the only remaining reason to DIY a printer is if you like tinkering, or you want a very specific printer style/size.

If you don't mind tinkering and upgrading a little, get an Ender 3 Pro and add the common printed upgrades as well as a BL touch, will cost about $300-$350. If you want something to run out of the box, check out the new CR-6 SE for $400.

Even if you have $10k budgeted for a 3d printer, I would still get an Ender or CR-6 SE first to know what you are in for. One of three things will happen, you will realize its something you don't want to mess with and save $9500, you will realize its more than adequate and save $9500, or you will want a nicer printer and still have a spare printer for quick jobs and prototyping small stuff while the nice printer runs big stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to get into 3D  printing. Anyone know some softwares I can use? I need to make a case for a medical device I have

On 10/24/2020 at 10:13 PM, GeneralGusher said:

I want to get into 3D  printing. Anyone know some softwares I can use? I need to make a case for a medical device I have

Free softwares:

1) Tinker cad is a complete online cad https://www.tinkercad.com/

2) If you are at school or furthering your education Fusion 360 or inventor education licence https://www.autodesk.com/education/edu-software/overview

3) FreeCad https://www.freecadweb.org/

4) http://www.wings3d.com/

5) https://www.3dslash.net/index.php

6) https://www.leocad.org

Thanks,

TheGreatCalCom

• 2 months later...

Greetings! 

I am thinking of building a computer specifically to run ChituBox for slicing files the Fastest?  I'm am wondering if anyone knows what computers / processors are best. I print 3D Fantasy Miniatures for a business and want to know the most efficient way to do so. I do not play games often or at all. This is a only to run Chitubox an slice files. Thats it. Suggestions or Links to any articles / Info?

I currently have a 2019 27" 5K iMac with a 3 ghz 6 core i5 with 40GB of ram (upgrading to 64GB on Sunday). 

On 10/28/2020 at 1:24 AM, James Evens said:

- If you are educational you can get Siemens SolidEagle. It is like Fusion but doesn't need cloud so no features can be removed or pushed into the paid version.

- Fusion is still a option but they made wise limitations which don't affect hobby usage but at the same time made outright stupid ones (e.g. removing STEP support) like they did before with Eagle.

- openSCAD is good but nothing for general purpose or quick learning.

my recommendation for a one time use:

ThinkerCAD is a simple option (like Fusion a Autodesk service) and runs in the web browser.

I would push people towards Siemens Solid Edge Community Edition.

It is for hobbyists, and it has (as far as I can determine based on my experience with Solid Edge at work) pretty much all of the features.
I feel Solid Edge assembly is far superior to the one found in Fusion 360. FreeCAD is great for single parts but needs quite a bit of work for designing in assemblies.

1 hour ago, The Arcane Gearsmith said:

Greetings! 

I am thinking of building a computer specifically to run ChituBox for slicing files the Fastest?  I'm am wondering if anyone knows what computers / processors are best. I print 3D Fantasy Miniatures for a business and want to know the most efficient way to do so. I do not play games often or at all. This is a only to run Chitubox an slice files. Thats it. Suggestions or Links to any articles / Info?

I currently have a 2019 27" 5K iMac with a 3 ghz 6 core i5 with 40GB of ram (upgrading to 64GB on Sunday). 

I think something like a 5600X would be more than enough. I highly doubt ChiTuBox is heavily multithreaded.

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX

• 1 month later...

3d Printing air filter?

I’ve  been looking at a lot of air stuff and am wondering if I can use and external (not in enclosure) carbon+Hepa filter?

• 1 month later...

Hi i have a geetech a10m i can not get it to be level i got a 3d touch put g29 in my gcode and set the z offset but when i print test squares they are at different heights at different corners even with autoleveing turned on can anybody help  

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 8:21 AM, TechyBen said:

Let me know if a thread on LTT/general branded/opensource 3D printer mods/parts will be welcome. For now I'm testing a HDD to SSD adaptor bracket with replaceable logo disk:

Untitled.jpg.ed482e785f545f02d287e2e4a3609d1d.jpg

I am doing 2 prints right now to test it out. Uses clips for SSD, but could do a screw in version. Ok, both options available now! I suppose I should do a poll. :P

Would you be willing to share the files

• 1 month later...

Has anyone come up with a list of 3d printers with prices and features somewhere? I'm looking in the next 6 months or so to grab a printer and start it as a hobby. I'd be looking for under $300 price range and I'm not really sure what to look for or where to go

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

• 3 weeks later...

The other day, I was on the cusp of finally buying a 3D printer, hadn't looked into it for a while but was looking at some resin ones due to their relatively desktop-size.

I then remembered that the resin is really toxic and you don't want to breath it in, and the process can get really messy. Living in a small apartment, with no actual work space, not really practical. Is there a PLA printer at a similar form factor to most the ELEGOO resin printers? (I assume not due to the way that they work, simply more space required to move around but you never know)

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else run a resin (DLP) printer?

I got one of those because i often need a little better precision then the FDM-printers offer and because i have two of those at work.

What´s your best Resin.printing tips? Ha have hade a struggle with learning mine, it's a entirely different thing than those using filament.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

as a school, we have the ender 3 v2. It was working for a while but now when we print, no filament comes out. We have tried replacing the filament and the nozzle but it still doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 10:38 AM, The Arcane Gearsmith said:

Greetings! 

That one should run Chitubox just fine. I ran it just fine on my dual core i5 2,14 GhZ Laptop running Linux and built in graphics. It flies on my old i5 quad core 3,2GhZ. 

Chitubox 1.9.0 is much better optimized than 1.8.1.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2015 at 10:34 PM, CatCloud said:

Meh, and I find this thread now of all times.

Nice stuff so far, what printers ye'all have?

do work ones count?

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, NOV654 said:

Hi 

as a school, we have the ender 3 v2. It was working for a while but now when we print, no filament comes out. We have tried replacing the filament and the nozzle but it still doesn't work.

Yikes. The hotend could be clogged.

I know this is kinda late but whatever.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:52 PM, Jtalk4456 said:

Has anyone come up with a list of 3d printers with prices and features somewhere? I'm looking in the next 6 months or so to grab a printer and start it as a hobby. I'd be looking for under $300 price range and I'm not really sure what to look for or where to go

I recommend an Ender 3. Ender 3 v2 is also a good option if you want to spend another $80 for the nearly silent drivers, belt tensioners, and better screen. They're solid printers that are fairly popular so there is a lot of support out there for them if you run into any issues.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:03 PM, cacoe said:

The other day, I was on the cusp of finally buying a 3D printer, hadn't looked into it for a while but was looking at some resin ones due to their relatively desktop-size.

I then remembered that the resin is really toxic and you don't want to breath it in, and the process can get really messy. Living in a small apartment, with no actual work space, not really practical. Is there a PLA printer at a similar form factor to most the ELEGOO resin printers? (I assume not due to the way that they work, simply more space required to move around but you never know)

We used some Monoprice MP Select Minis at my university that are relatively small. They're not really worth it at their MSRP unless you really require the printer to be small; they constantly require maintenance and bed adhesion is generally not very good. Ender 3-sized ones are about what you want to go for if possible taking up something like 440mm x 410mm x 465mm.

54 minutes ago, rileyakirk said:

I know this is kinda late but whatever.

I recommend an Ender 3. Ender 3 v2 is also a good option if you want to spend another $80 for the nearly silent drivers, belt tensioners, and better screen. They're solid printers that are fairly popular so there is a lot of support out there for them if you run into any issues.

We used some Monoprice MP Select Minis at my university that are relatively small. They're not really worth it at their MSRP unless you really require the printer to be small; they constantly require maintenance and bed adhesion is generally not very good. Ender 3-sized ones are about what you want to go for if possible taking up something like 440mm x 410mm x 465mm.

well the budget didn't pan out, and probably won't for another 6 months to a year now, so I still appreciate the info!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

• 4 weeks later...

What materials do you use for printing?

At home i have a resin printer, but i have the privalege to experiment a bit at work were we use filament printers.

Vi hade two, one consumer grade Wanhao Duplicator wherw we usually run PLA for smaller pieces and an industrial grade BCN3D IDEX-printer where we run ABS for faster and bigger prints.

But i orderd a test från GB, a filament made from recycled fishing nets, a hard filament to print with but almost unbreakable. Made from a blend of Nylon, Polaymide and PA.

Tried for test to print the 3D-benchy because it´s a fast model and somewhat good for analyzing the settings. The black one i ABS for reference of color, both prints was about one hour a piece and printed with 0,6 mm nossle. This is my first complete print from the recycled nylon blend, in like 5-6 tries before where it did not stuck to the build plate.

Compared to ABS who could be scratched by a fingernail the nylon blend nedded a knife or file to be scratched, and it resisted even a hammer...

portchruno.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else having issues with recent eSun PLA+ filament? I've had 2 previous rolls with no issues, 205-215C nozzle temp, 60C bed temp and it would produce great clean prints. swapped to the most recent roll and it's showing shrinkage, stringing like crazy, brought the nozzle temp down as far as 190 and still nasty with layer separation, higher temps strings even worse and often flows during moves which I've never seen before.

ran a temp tower and adhesion needed 205C like I was running with previous spools

retraction tower was a stringy mess the whole way, 10mm retraction wasn't enough to stop stringing.

little update after more and more testing:

- build plate needs 70C and a thorough scrub with alcohol (it's a G10 plate) to adhere at all, filament might be contaminated with an oil or moisture from the factory

- nozzle at 220C and increased to 105 flow to compensate for the shrinking

- re-zero'ed the buildplate, lowered z-offset by 0.1mm for more squish on the first layer

overall none of this has been needed before and I'll be holding off of ordering eSun for a while

TLDR - be careful when running the most recent batch of eSun PLA+, it may be a bad batch.

Current Config:

Spoiler

R5 2600X @4.1ghz all core, 16GB Patriot 3200mhz, 1TB XPG SX8200 Pro nvme, RTX 2070 Duke, CM Elite 110 mitx, pair of KRK Rokit 6 monitors with 10in sub, BenQ TH671ST projector for 150" screen. 

MSI Prestige 14 with too many cooling mods to list out (it's quiet now)

• 1 month later...

What  3d printer is best for beginner? I had in mind two 3d printers: Creality Ender3 (v2) and Flashforge Adventureder 3(pro). Can anyone help me choose? (it can be different printer and should be under 600€).

On 4/3/2022 at 8:51 AM, rasmus poder said:

What  3d printer is best for beginner? I had in mind two 3d printers: Creality Ender3 (v2) and Flashforge Adventureder 3(pro). Can anyone help me choose? (it can be different printer and should be under 600€).

Don't know if it was the best for a beginner but i just bought my Ender 3 V2 about 3 weeks ago.  My biggest mod i realized was building an enclosure around it to stop airflow/drafts to get a steady print.  Love it so far.  Can't wait to start printing my own designs.  I went Ender because there are so many people out there using them so ifigured id have a bigger pool of knowledge to draw from.

Just some Ender 3 v2 fun 🙂  Upgrades and mods to my Enders over the  past year

IMG_20220410_213044-XL.jpg

IMG_20220213_185036-XL.jpg

IMG_20211202_183322-XL.jpg

IMG_20211109_163016-XL.jpg

IMG_20211031_152205-XL.jpg

IMG_20210815_113521-XL.jpg

IMG_20210806_170534-XL.jpg

IMG_20210705_174809-XL.jpg

IMG_20210705_174732-XL.jpg