3D Printing - Models, Tutorials, and Discussion

Delons

thank you i will give it a try i am looking into hiring a 3d designer to making it for me and sending me the files so i could have it 3D printed or CnC'd out of acrylic but i think i might give Sketchup a try first 

Hi all!

I'm new to the LTT forums but have been following the channels forever-some of the best content creators out there!
After this intro,I'd like to offer my help to anyone Trying to learning how to model in Solidworks and Sketchup for 3D printing or just for the funsies,I'm a student for mechanical engineering and just a all-around self taught maker with experience with 3D modeling,CNC wood cutting,laser cutting,3D printing,woodworking,Arduino, lil' bit of electronics....

I can (and more importantly want to ) help with ideas from concept idea to building prototypes and stuff....

Would really like to design stuff other Modders will use to beatify there battlestations because right now I'm low on the dough and couldn't afford dream build PC

So there ya go,
Have a good one!
Dolev

I can help you both model and learn,contact me if you'd like that

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/19/2014 at 5:16 AM, Maki Role said:

Definitely a fan of the capabilities of 3D printing, allows you so much freedom in terms of shapes and features.  I used it not too long ago to build the entire internal (and most of the external) structure for a case to house an Intel NUC.  It was a great experience and allowed me to use a design that would have been very problematic to produce with other means.  Here are a couple of pictures to show what I mean.

Wow.. :o how did you model that? Is it modeled through sketch based parametric modeling? or organic modeling? My guess is organic, I have no idea how I can do that in sketches....

A 3d printing is a pretty empowering tool for me. I learned so much and grown so much because of exploring it. I done so many convoluted projects only possible through this medium.

• 7 months later...

for those interested in 3d printing, you can get a cheap decent 3d printer for less than 150$ (excluding tax) on gearbest.

(this is a direct non sponsored link) (including 1 roll of filament)

https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_494194.html?wid=1433363

if you want to do lots of 3d printing it is cheaper and better for prototyping.

since some parts can have a offset that will prevent it from fitting on your modded part.

if you paid 16$ for it including shipping for each different part, it will become quite expensive to use a service like shapeways.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 3 weeks later...

Cooler master released their 3D printing files for people to use on the Masterbox lite 5 which I found quite a neat feature from the company.

I am not sure if other companies do this etc. But it was a pleasurable case to build in with minimal hiccups and looks like it'd be a good case to test some 3D printing on.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2013 at 9:17 AM, Scheer said:

Just to get rid of any doubt, STL is the "standard" format for 3D printing. I've never seen anyone who couldn't use it.

Also, I don't recommend building a Reprap, just pay someone like Shapeways. Way less hassle, way better quality, and it really isn't very expensive. I've done a lot of playing around with CNC machines, but I've never had as many problems with them as I have my Reprap (which isn't even finished yet after a year and half).

Before you start modeling, be sure to read up a little on design advice, a good place to start that has a lot of pertinent information would be metal casting forums. You have to get a bit creative for some shapes and hold downs, such as using cross dowels or cage nuts rather than threading the plastic for attachment.

I think it depends on what you're doing, if you need to prototype parts, having a 3d printer on hand and ready to go is the way to go, I personally like the BIQU magician as I've owned one and it provides decent quality at a decent price. And some cartesian printers can be (relatively) easily converted to be double duty and perform CNC work as well as remain functional for printing

If you have parts that are already prototyped and you want high quality final prints, then sure, go with shapeways or some other printing service.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

The "I thought this would be cheaper" rebuild |

On 8/17/2018 at 8:28 PM, SilicateWielder said:

I think it depends on what you're doing, if you need to prototype parts, having a 3d printer on hand and ready to go is the way to go, I personally like the BIQU magician as I've owned one and it provides decent quality at a decent price. And some cartesian printers can be (relatively) easily converted to be double duty and perform CNC work as well as remain functional for printing

If you have parts that are already prototyped and you want high quality final prints, then sure, go with shapeways or some other printing service.

Building is now worth it due to the huge parts availability and so many people are doing it that you can always find a post somewhere with the solution to your problem.

5 years ago when I posted that it was a little different. You had to hob your own bolts for extruders, now you can buy a 5 pack for a few dollars... DIY 3D printers are pretty easy now.

• 3 months later...

I can't post to classifieds yet, so I'll post here.

I want to make a custom thermal armor for a couple of motherboards I have. I do not have a 3D printer but I have money. Would anyone be willing to 3D print something for a small fee?

alright :) a 3D printing thread just as i am thinking about getting into it. nice

soo... first question to the floor what the cheapest (maybe later upgradable) 3D Printing setup that one could still recommend or maybe even call bang for buck ?

ive seen alot of site take highly of the creality 3d ender 3 and i personally am very tempted to get the anycubic delta kossel just because i love how different it looks - definitly an eye catcher

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Ryzen 5600G (watercooled) Cooling: 2x XSPC TX240  MB: Gigabyte B550i  RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled)  DISPLAY: LG 32GN600-B SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Corsair MP510 960GB SSD(Applikations): Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB  PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon

On 12/14/2018 at 4:11 AM, cluelessgenius said:

alright :) a 3D printing thread just as i am thinking about getting into it. nice

soo... first question to the floor what the cheapest (maybe later upgradable) 3D Printing setup that one could still recommend or maybe even call bang for buck ?

ive seen alot of site take highly of the creality 3d ender 3 and i personally am very tempted to get the anycubic delta kossel just because i love how different it looks - definitly an eye catcher

I am happy with my AnyCubic Kossel Delta... though I recommend a heated bed, and upgrading the PSU to one that will not explode.

The other models a lot of 3D printer blog/vlogs recommend for "cheap" and easy is the Creality CR10 line of printers. Try to go direct, so if as in my case (with my AnyCubic branded Delta) something explodes, they can ship out a hopefully free replacement via ebay/Amazon consumer protection.

If you buy/build a DIY one, it will be a DIY project, but a lot cheaper than a ready made and DRM enclosed Devinchi or similar.

Don't forget to watch some reviews, build (or print if buying a pre-build device) guides etc... as there are different uses and stuff. Mine is mainly for artwork, but will use it also for light practical use, like printing SSD caddies or whatever. So measurements don't need to be perfect. But if you were printing mechanical parts, you may want a more professional printer for example.

4 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Don't forget to watch some reviews, build (or print if buying a pre-build device) guides etc... as there are different uses and stuff. Mine is mainly for artwork, but will use it also for light practical use, like printing SSD caddies or whatever. So measurements don't need to be perfect. But if you were printing mechanical parts, you may want a more professional printer for example.

thanks but im just getting started and messing around. practical use mainly maybe props to put on display like game items and stuff

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Ryzen 5600G (watercooled) Cooling: 2x XSPC TX240  MB: Gigabyte B550i  RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled)  DISPLAY: LG 32GN600-B SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Corsair MP510 960GB SSD(Applikations): Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB  PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon

• 2 months later...

Let me know if a thread on LTT/general branded/opensource 3D printer mods/parts will be welcome. For now I'm testing a HDD to SSD adaptor bracket with replaceable logo disk:

Untitled.jpg.ed482e785f545f02d287e2e4a3609d1d.jpg

I am doing 2 prints right now to test it out. Uses clips for SSD, but could do a screw in version. Ok, both options available now! I suppose I should do a poll. :P

12 hours ago, TechyBen said:

And print is done...

Not a fan of the colour scheme but I like the project idea pretty cool

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

1 hour ago, moderategamer said:

Not a fan of the colour scheme but I like the project idea prettyretty cool

Hahahahahaha. It's the only ones I have. LOL.

I could do a thread with STLs uploaded.

• 4 months later...

I apologize if some of the questions sound stupid, but here goes.  I have a Fractal Design Focus G.  At the time I bought it I was on a tight budget and couldn't go up to a Meshify C.  Some libraries near me have 3d printers, and I was thinking of trying to print a power supply shroud.  Is the plastic filament non-conductive,, in case it touches the motherboard?  Is the melting temp high enough that pressing against the power supply won't cause the power supply to melt?  Can most 3d printers handle an object with the dimensions of 13"x5"x5"?

• 4 weeks later...

guys for the 3d modelling I suggest either cad or inventor (I use inventor) and  to print http://buildflow.online i am actually working on a 3d printed ram cooler for either ddr3 or ddr4 and it is still a work in progress as one side keeps lifting up off of the build plate and the build plate is like 20x22 cm. and i am using 3d max pla filament. (the printers I'm using are my schools printers btw as i am still a student.) i hope to refine my design to achieve cpu grade cooling. (which i might also do as well as the gpu cooling.) but until i can refine it i can only make Shure it can fit onto the motherboard without and hassles, and only make it to fit one type of mother board as well. and when i actualy refine it i will reliese the designs on http://thingiverse.com for you guys to use if you want to. but until then i just have to keep designing and printing. and also reply what you guys think of my idea.

actually just thinking about it is it actually possible to 3d print fans? i tried but it didn't work in the design program. tips plz?

1 hour ago, funtime_foxy455 said:

..and it is still a work in progress as one side keeps lifting up off of the build plate and the build plate is like 20x22 cm. and i am using 3d max pla filament. (the printers I'm using are my schools printers btw as i am still a student.)

actually just thinking about it is it actually possible to 3d print fans? i tried but it didn't work in the design program. tips plz?

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

if you are experiencing warping (lifting off the build plate) either the top layers are cooling faster than the bottom layers (try no cooling fan) or prolly need more heat in the build plate/bed.

PLA usually doesn't need a heated build plate, but the heat aids in adhesion. what is the surface used? metal? glass? textured poly? PLA i find can be pretty tolerant of temperature. nozzle temp of 180°- 220° is widely used. my cr10 minis print 175° at 50mm/sec or 195° at 75mm/s, but the ender takes 20°+ to do the same job with same filament.

you can print 70-80% of the fan, just the PCB and coils/magnets not at a makers pace.

• 1 month later...

So I recently purchased a Creality Ender 3 and have set up OctoPi on a Pi 3B+ (first actual use I've had for it since I got it a year or so ago, tbh) and while generally I love it, I have had 1 issue so far: I get a SerialException after a few hours into larger prints that stalls and ruins a print. It seems to happen consistently at about the 2.5-3 hour mark.

Things I've tried so far: 

Moved my Raspberry Pi branded PSU off the power squid onto a separate extension cord

Swapped my USB cable for one with Ferrite chokes

Unplugged my webcam (logitech c920)

Moved Printer connection to a different USB port

Most recently I've gone into octopi settings and upped the communication timeouts and I'm waiting to see if it fails whilst doing a 6 hour dry run (dry via the plugin) but if that fails what should be my next steps?

• 1 month later...

Hmm. Is there some thread just for showing off one's 3D-printed projects? I occasionally have this or that I show off in my status-updates, but those get buried quite quickly. Not that I make anything particularly cool, but eh, sometimes it just feels nice to feel a wee bit proud of one's creations.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Hmm. Is there some thread just for showing off one's 3D-printed projects?

start a thread and others can keep on the top of the forum..

I be down for a thread to show off prints.   I don't have a printer yet, but do have a Prusa Mini on order.  :3  Can't wait.

Just a nutty gal living near the Gulf.

Ya want fun, come down here, we got heat, humidity, and these big arse storms call hurricanes

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, Titan XP, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

• 5 months later...

Figured I'd throw this here rather than starting a new thread. With it getting nicer outside I've been opening up the doors and windows in my shop and the draft was messing up my prints, plus I've been wanting to do some ABS printing, so I started looking into enclosure designs. At first I was just going to do the standard Ikea Lack enclosure, but last weekend I was too impatient to wait for shipping and just ran to Menards and found this Klearvue cabinet. Its basically the Menard's in house brand of Ikea style kitchen furniture.

Size was about perfect, plus the leveling feet gave me room to shove all the power cables below it. Happened to have a 24"x24" desk return surface that was nearly the same color to throw on the top, and some random chunks of oak to make a frame for the plexiglass.

I underestimated how much heat the printer puts out though. When printing ABS the ambient temperature gets to 120 degrees F, so I have a fan controller on the way to exhaust some heat out of there.

Currently just using some shelf pins as the door stop, planning on adding a proper wooden stop with a seal all the way around the door this weekend to completely stop the drafts, and hopefully doing an exhaust fan at the top with an intake on the opposite top side won't create any draft near the print.

IlEB-MIPgjk5_3UxLuMTFclZyofIOvZkPA4mIDAwSq_9Lg3tiBl2rhmcXI0ayqAdQ-YdhvTL9hTNDbjZaant9X0Y_zQJrbnmc4hTBwV3WE-T7R7jczF4PjW62E1BCHUEnLsbDPa689a01qZv1tqUYDmJyB-02MGnBVUuj_uMQm7tqQiSPzRnBUGqvPhhJ_IoMuRFW_QXNCdPNs09hpe6pSRz17hGrNXJ-Abq0nuepKh6_LeDBM6YtAVutmj66PQ5cDC2Khpbauvp0kzqBOF1nZOPErwJmTgCV0mAQKVeL_PS2a15ZQwVIlOMu6y17VudP_yIwIjLzJ0LhiV6hcA6LeAQlDlz2GAa4HpJw4GTTnaZuOh9ZTy_85l_70HD0tpMIUysP7em1lQmaBypzM8Svvrj052FyKn-Nnx8j_AqzmuG0vMbP2sW1bMBw6Xma1oPp_IreUEIBqhWwJk37MGaECeOqlPiw0vcbqMDtGErO7t_AkozhQcKdpdDmMdtU4O0i7Z8K7XQoOWMhmEJ2OIH2mPLRSqPQLVgg37U5nBbi3PBuC0oAeWDiCxj0O69W_y6C7oiuE5m_6kEihsct95Xj4gL92yHbK9KSGBC8CMwKbj1BBoQ2lsaqMDfvZqkJwlctz5I6G_YMRJ1vdCm904LhU8s7nNZqHU6nEngDre0fC5_Rofng80xtjgXjupBLA=w727-h969-no

MLAvPqYDZU5NT9ixlgCNWXHCPIxzMYPVlylVptR-qu0PHE0KjnPH769k0SmT6JCZCuabJlu8-lMm-qvBbmfQ8HPtcTVAXSRDX2QsygFbTbO1Ra7198uFqc3OK0Ld-DlcXbm54aqLJ1hjvGuTwmolA1e6h0KG4dYuT9qVUZyPeIgbtga09FpZEBQBX1ptpoNiOgZ7v4CQuGTdBaPIxzMTBP5MF58CR8NZGaPXzTaxw2sezIC3rNQrpg8BNAqqULumF_ecbXsStcwtvscWDEEyfn45NnRSZetrCFfepQrqSeTmBjW89HpMV4SAph5tCgccHCewh05jTN8Zvh36yb81mKxcS9Zsll73DwV1KtpsvHyBA4-yTeczxuy-iHxkBQ75jRDTs7Sxax69XsBy_1R_RfZGVcHRi8NwiRurR0XVxvgtW3QteYgZUjqJM-CBX2evBPNg8fLLBVqhTexLQjafl02uNgpKtyDfCO74MbWwSZ512kIpfm_XcBbHRT311g2AAuQEaoS3Hv_fjfV3D4pC12UB2wJoTEUsz2QzkIBrN0JBgkHIxBCk51nwySkerfGLE-Z7tkhVc2seCY0TPZtk9FFcbMSl3AOjUD95NnnjuC4gISLBa6N_BV1FL3DI3Vu9jliObqGhEwZvP8GSBAQ7YigrMZAv1VCwW2ZX-LZcFUhaj1mTVa5G1rmGCyspjA=w727-h969-no