3D Printing - Models, Tutorials, and Discussion

Delons

Would it be possible to 3d print an acrylic aquarium?  Or would it be really cloudy?

I dont think you can print acrylic. PLA and ABS are the most common. 

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys know a site where people put their 3d-printed case mods online?

Can't find anything on thingiverse. Need some inspiration :P

My beast (PC):

• ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Black Edition, X79, LGA2011, AC4
  • 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Intel Core i7 4930K BOX (LGA 2011, 3.40GHz) OC @4.4GHz
  • Corsair H100i, CPU Cooler (240mm)
  • Samsung SSD 830 Series (512GB)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
  • Western Digital 512GB HDD
  • TridentX 4x 8GB 2400MHz
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

Do you guys know a site where people put their 3d-printed case mods online?

Can't find anything on thingiverse. Need some inspiration :P

Bad cobra get back on the server! xD (Kinda Inside Joke)

I have seen a few websites of case mods but as normal there for a price... which i don't recommend

I seen a lot on thingiverse in the way of fan brackets but nobody dares to go with custom water cooling stuff, yet, Is it just me or am i going to 3D print an entire case when i get one

Bad cobra get back on the server! xD

I have seen a few websites of case mods but as normal there for a price... which i don't recommend

I seen alot on thingiverse in the way of fan brackets but nobody dares to go with costom water cooling stuff, yet, Is it just me or am i going to 3D print an entire case when i get one

:P

I think printing watercooling stuff isn't done because of risk of leaks. Also you have to consider that PLA (the standard material for printing) degrades very fast when it comes in contact with water (takes around 2 weeks and PLA is fully decomposed... Not sure about ABS though, should be able to sustain longer.

But I think the  biggest problem will still be the leaks. Even only the tiniest hole in for example the first layer may cause a leak...

My beast (PC):

• ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Black Edition, X79, LGA2011, AC4
  • 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Intel Core i7 4930K BOX (LGA 2011, 3.40GHz) OC @4.4GHz
  • Corsair H100i, CPU Cooler (240mm)
  • Samsung SSD 830 Series (512GB)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
  • Western Digital 512GB HDD
  • TridentX 4x 8GB 2400MHz
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

:P

I think printing watercooling stuff isn't done because of risk of leaks. Also you have to consider that PLA (the standard material for printing) degrades very fast when it comes in contact with water (takes around 2 weeks and PLA is fully decomposed... Not sure about ABS though, should be able to sustain longer.

But I think the  biggest problem will still be the leaks. Even only the tiniest hole in for example the first layer may cause a leak...

Yeah that's why you test in 3D printed models and then make it real with custom parts that don't leak, but of course have 3D printed supports brackets and custom LED stuff

PLA will expend and contract when the heat gets in contact with it, so will most plastics besides the new one they are currently inventing, but makes a great test platform to test what works best, makes R&D very cheap

• 3 months later...

Just wondering if anybody is interested in this thread being updated or not.

Desktop: Phenom II 970 BE, Cooler Master V8, Asus M5A97, Sapphire 6870, 320GB HDD, 12GB DDR3, Modded HAF 912, Cosair CX600 V2, CM Trigger MX Blues

Anyone willing to do 2 small test prints for me, for a usb/SD card holder i am making for my desk. The test would just be a USB sized slot and an SD sized slot to check sizing. If anyone is interested it would be greatly appreciated as it would save me having to wait till I get back to school to test things. pm me and I will send .stl files

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

Everytime I look into 3D priting something, I end up making it in wood myself because it is SO expensive to print via shapeways. Maybe 10 years in the future this won't be a problem anymore...

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

• 1 month later...

For me laser cutting would not be cheaper because i own a 3D printer and not a laser-cutter ;) You are right about the surface not being as uniform as acrylic would be, but some sandpaper and some elbow-grease will fix that for PLA. For ABS you can get the surface the same as molded-plastic by using acetone-vapor to smooth out the surface. 

I have a mockup of a cable cover like that in Sketchup. Does is sand down to a smooth surface? That's my only issue with 3d printing still is lower resolution printers have jagged edges on round surfaces.

Is there anyone that would be willing to print me of something for a small amount of money like a fiver or something? And if so how large is the flat surface area as I think it may be a bit wide for most printers but I could be wrong.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

• 4 weeks later...

I've printed a 120mm square to 140mm round fan adapter recently, meant to mount the Thermalright TY-143 onto a 120mm cooler.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Did anyone mention 123D? I am having success with it.

Anyway a mistake mentioned here, STL is not a 3D printing standard, it is a model standard. Printers actually print Gcode, description of movement. You can't make that universal.

BTW i am modeling a case for my audio amp. Will post final result.

• 2 months later...

Bump

Here is my 3D printer, just added a CCFL light I had sitting around.

post-128204-0-16377600-1453525578_thumb.

post-128204-0-19919500-1453525655_thumb.

Print quality at the moment without a heated bed:

post-128204-0-48823400-1453525683_thumb.

The enclosure is heated though. I currently need to fix the following:

Damn Z wobble (seriously this is properly pissing me off)

Cura being retarded and not Z-Hopping over SURFACE FINISHES, resulting in derp lines

And I need to buy a heated bed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread but it seemed the most appropriate place for the mod I did. Added 3D printed fan dampeners made from Fenner Drives' NinjaFlex. I was cleaning up an older PC for my kids to use inside a white with black details Phantom 410. As an avid 3D printer and employee of such a company I get lots of samples to try but not always so much that I can do a lot with it. In this case I have lots of small 10m windings in a variety of colors. I could have done black but the white seemed a nice contrast and the black wasn't the same as the plastic anyway. If it's going to stand out I would rather it be deliberate.

Imgur album for more project images.

bJPSlAy.jpg

• 2 months later...

would it be a good idea to Laser cut a custom case using MDF?

I mean make all the drawings for the case and get it cut and then assemble it all from scratch.

1 hour ago, titan384 said:

would it be a good idea to Laser cut a custom case using MDF?

I mean make all the drawings for the case and get it cut and then assemble it all from scratch.

It would work, but if you're going to custom fabricate a case, why not have it look really good by using something like acrylic?

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

It would work, but if you're going to custom fabricate a case, why not have it look really good by using something like acrylic?

Because i have got scrap pieces of MDF for free in the design studio.

14 minutes ago, titan384 said:

Because i have got scrap pieces of MDF for free in the design studio.

Oh then go for it. Do a Noctua build xD 

ASU

I know this thread is pretty much dead but I was wondering if I created a small 3d model if someone would mind printing it for me I'll pay cash as well obviously. I only ask as I recently just got a new car and there's nowhere to put my vaporisers so i was thinking of creating a piece that would fit in to the center console cup holder to hold them. Let me know if it's something you would be interested in helping me out with. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

13 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

I know this thread is pretty much dead but I was wondering if I created a small 3d model if someone would mind printing it for me I'll pay cash as well obviously. I only ask as I recently just got a new car and there's nowhere to put my vaporisers so i was thinking of creating a piece that would fit in to the center console cup holder to hold them. Let me know if it's something you would be interested in helping me out with. 

We can do this for you, send us a message.  

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

On 11/9/2016 at 0:38 PM, Hackentosher said:

Oh then go for it. Do a Noctua build xD 

Would love to do a build.. but i dont have enough funds. i also need to be saving to go for masters degree.

probably would be designing a case and selling it to some random guy in college.

• 4 months later...

i am looking to 3d print a mod to seal in my coolermaster 212 evo i want to make a lid that will clip into my corsair 120mm sp fan that will let the heat pipes poke out i have no experience 3d modeling and was just wanting to know if anybody can help me learn or maybe make me a model if i provide the measurements  and photographs

On 9.2.2017 at 11:39 PM, B1gjph said:

i am looking to 3d print a mod to seal in my coolermaster 212 evo i want to make a lid that will clip into my corsair 120mm sp fan that will let the heat pipes poke out i have no experience 3d modeling and was just wanting to know if anybody can help me learn or maybe make me a model if i provide the measurements  and photographs

Check out Google Sketchup, free CAD/3d drawing progream. Easy to learn and lots of tutorials on Youtube. For printing check https://www.shapeways.com:)