"Honey" Potential Sponsor Feedback

CPotter

Hey!

I wanted to start a thread and get some feedback on if anyone from the community here has used the extension or application "Honey". If you have used it before, let me know how your experience was with it.

Chrome Store Link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/honey/bmnlcjabgnpnenekpadlanbbkooimhnj

Honey Website: https://www.joinhoney.com

image.png

1 minute ago, CPotter said:

Hey!

I know some of my friends like it, but where I live, sites don't really take advantage of it, so I can't really say how it is.

Its pretty decent. I heard about it a few months ago, tried it out, and it basically searches and find any recently used promo codes that have been used recently on that site for the products your buying and lets you pick out of all the ones that work so you can get some pretty decent deals at times. Also can show pricing history so you can see if its on a high point or low point which can help the consumer quite a bit. All in all, pretty decent and would recommend. 

I've used it before and I liked it, and I really like the transparency that they have such as when many malware/adware companies had contacted them (See this Reddit AMA)

25 minutes ago, aidanapple said:

I've used it before and I liked it, and I really like the transparency that they have such as when many malware/adware companies had contacted them (See this Reddit AMA)

Okay cool, thanks a bunch for sharing this!

24 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Hey Colton

YO.

28 minutes ago, Trulop said:

Its pretty decent. I heard about it a few months ago, tried it out, and it basically searches and find any recently used promo codes that have been used recently on that site for the products your buying and lets you pick out of all the ones that work so you can get some pretty decent deals at times. Also can show pricing history so you can see if its on a high point or low point which can help the consumer quite a bit. All in all, pretty decent and would recommend. 

Yeah I've seen some reviews but wanted to get more peoples input here, thanks!

Just now, CPotter said:

Okay cool, thanks a bunch for sharing this!

YO.

Yeah I've seen some reviews but wanted to get more peoples input here, thanks!

for sure, i mean it doesnt ALWAYS have deals on everything you want to buy, but in terms of how easy to use it is and having the possibility of saving a little bit of money here and there as well as being able to compare price lines for those wanting to know if their getting a good deal easily, i cant really see a reason to not have it ^_^ BTW love LTT, and we need more super fun videos =P

2 hours ago, Trulop said:

for sure, i mean it doesnt ALWAYS have deals on everything you want to buy, but in terms of how easy to use it is and having the possibility of saving a little bit of money here and there as well as being able to compare price lines for those wanting to know if their getting a good deal easily, i cant really see a reason to not have it ^_^ BTW love LTT, and we need more super fun videos =P

Yeah for sure, make sense! And I agree that we need more Super Fun videos. :P

• 11 months later...

I added the Honey extension to my chrome browser last week, and today made my first purchase.  That shit is crazy.  I bought a pair of pants that were $67. The site had a special with 50% off. Then Honey found another coupon, and I got it for an additional 20% off, ended up paying with shipping and taxes $26.  God send I tell you.

• 6 months later...
On 11/30/2017 at 11:27 PM, CPotter said:

Hey!

I wanted to start a thread and get some feedback on if anyone from the community here has used the extension or application "Honey". If you have used it before, let me know how your experience was with it.

Chrome Store Link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/honey/bmnlcjabgnpnenekpadlanbbkooimhnj

Honey Website: https://www.joinhoney.com

image.pnglai.jpg

I apologise for bump, but does this still work well in 2019? Can you get some solid deals on hardware or is it better to just wait for Black Friday? Are there any other apps / extensions like this that can help you save with promos and discounts?

I do have some feedback on honey. It's a very useful tool, but it does not seem to contain/support too many online shops here in Europe.

also found out that it seems to identify the shop using only the site's name + top level domain. In the case of IKEA, this leads to honey misidentifying the site, since IKEA's Austrian URL is https://www.ikea.com/at/de/ . On this site, Honey displays "IKEA US" (probably since it has seen ikea.com and disregarded the rest).

I didn't have any advantages using Honey for my purchases, mostly on Amazon Germany. No coupons available for anything.

21 hours ago, Linode said:

I apologise for bump, but does this still work well in 2019? Can you get some solid deals on hardware or is it better to just wait for Black Friday? Are there any other apps / extensions like this that can help you save with promos and discounts?

It still works. So far, I've really only used it on amazon where it's saved me a buck or two, but i see it rev up when I'm browsing around elsewhere..  (It's not gonna find you black friday type deals..more liek 10% coupons or free shipping..that kind of thing.)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Potential Sponsor

Hasn't Honey been a sponsor already for LTT?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 6/5/2019 at 7:43 AM, Velcade said:

Hasn't Honey been a sponsor already for LTT?

It's a 2 year old thread.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

13 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

It's a 2 year old thread.

Oh man... I feel like an idiot.  I wondered what the hell was going on.

Thanks.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Have it, and have used it on Amazon and Newegg. Never seems to find a good coupon code on Newegg, but has saved me a dollar or two here and there on Amazon. I can't honestly recall if I heard of it from LTT or elsewhere. It does often show large savings on certain sites, but by the time I shop the product on several sites, I'm getting a better deal than honey came up with on site A, through site E, and honey doesn't have a coupon code for that site, or it doesn't save anything.

I think the feature I've found most useful is the pricetracker and the emails when a product I'm watching hits a certain price, or goes on a great sale. If it's not something I need right away(less often than I'd like) then it has actually saved $22 off a single purchase by waiting and using the notifications.

• 1 month later...

I installed it but haven't used it yet. 

But I saw LTT's Honey Ad just now on YT. WAY better than that idiot who called it "Oprah" instead of "Opera" and called a shopping cart a "check-out" cart. I actually emailed Honey to complain about their ad quality. haha

I had honey installed, it is absolutely useless everywhere I have used it. On the very off chance Honey finds "something" it is either an entirely different product and/or way more money.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I rarely shop anywhere except NewEgg or Amazon so it will normally work for me. Though I did just buy parts for an AR15 and Honey was useless on that website. But it's saved me at least a couple hundred since I started using it (a few months ago as of posting this). Ironically, I got a better discount using Honey than the sponsor code for LTT when I bought my Ridge Wallet. It saves you ten bucks here and there, and that honestly adds up after awhile. Especially if you shop or spend a lot. I'd say overall I'm happy with it, but even still when it doesn't work on a site I expect, I'm disappointed. In fact, it'll cause me to look at other sites to see if I can't get a deal elsewhere. But usually what I buy from those sites is "specialty" and not found elsewhere.

I don't find that it bogs down my browser (Firefox) but then again, I've got quite the hardware so it's tough to say. But even with 40 or so tabs open (most where Honey is active) I still didn't have issues. Sometimes it takes an extra hot second for Honey to figure itself out when loading a product page, but I find that Honey keeps itself separate, so while it loads I can still scroll through the product page, look at reviews, etc.

• 2 months later...

I am in the UK, I have sen the plentiful Linus add's online so installed Honey. I have never received a code. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, just not for me, ever !

4 hours ago, Golleemon said:

I am in the UK, I have sen the plentiful Linus add's online so installed Honey. I have never received a code. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, just not for me, ever !

It happens at checkout, or in the basket (some sites have a place to enter codes there). You usually get a little pop up from Honey if it finds codes, sometimes you don't. But when you're in the checkout, click on the Honey icon and it may say "low chance for savings" but you can still click the button to try. It depends not just on the website, but the items as well. This is especially prevalent on a site like Amazon, where Honey may have a working code for a discount on clothes but not on electronics. It also will vary by day too.

57 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I kinda let the app run in the background of chrome, but it never really saves me money.

Read my post above yours. You kinda have to interact with it in order to save anything.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I meant more that the codes don't work.  I know how to use Honey, but at the same time it's only saved me money 1-2 times online, but that wasn't really much at all.

Oh, you worded your post weird.

As I said earlier though, it depends on the items and websites. I've had it for a long while now but have only saved maybe a couple hundred (between purchases for myself and family). It's one of those things that may take a few years to really pay off.