Noctua Naming-Schemes, anyone that can explain it?

Mainfold

As we all know, Noctua has probably the best fans you can get, whether it be for static pressure, airflow or silence.

But, I've looked around for a while, and there doesn't seem to be any documentation of how their naming-scheme works.

From what I've gathered, it seems their F-series is for static pressure, while A-series is airflow, and S would suggest silence.

NF-F12 PWM

ZxJxlHA.jpg

NF-P12 PWM

dfgYWwx.jpg

NF-S12A PWM

8CNdCna.jpg

These are just a few, as far as I've seen they have:

• NF-F
  • NF-A
  • NF-S
  • NF-P
  • NF-R
  • NF-B

Does anyone concretely know what the different series names stand for? The PWM, FLX and ULN names after the fan-series name, are fairly self explanatory, and readily available information.

However, does not seem to be anywhere to find the fan-series names themselves explained. 

Would be nice to have a "Definitive Noctua Naming-scheeme guide".

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

Idk about noctua but try to figure out lian-li's naming scheme. Go on. Try.

HAH, yeah.. that's not possible. It's easier to get to the moon.

I would assume the NF part stands for Noctua Fan, I have no idea what the 3rd letter means, the numbers are the size in centimeters. It may just be the design model, ie Noctua Fan model F size 12 centimeters. If anyone actually knows I would love to know.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

• NF-F = Focused Flow
  • NF-A = Air Flow (Case fan)
  • NF-S = Silence (Aimed at nothing but silence)
  • NF-P = Pressure
  • NF-R = Raised blade
  • NF-B = Beveled blade

Oh. That actually makes a lot of sense... Bookmarking that.

• NF-F = Focused Flow
  • NF-A = Air Flow (Case fan)
  • NF-S = Silence (Aimed at nothing but silence)
  • NF-P = Pressure
  • NF-R = Raised blade
  • NF-B = Beveled blade

So, that would make P-series fans theoretically optimal for radiators right?

Correct :)

The NF-F12 is also great for radiators

I thought the P-series were intended for CPU-cooling, or rather P as in Processor, or do they just happen to be used there since they're optimal for pressure?

Static pressure is also a good trait to have on a CPU cooler fan as well as a radiator.

The P12 doesn't come with alot of the features the F12 comes with like rubber dampeners on the corners and are generally not as well designed of a fan as the F12, That makes it cheaper than the F12 and is most likely the reason they are bundled with coolers

Hmm. Well, that doesn't explain the higher price-tag on the P-12's, compared to the F-12's. Sense was not entirely being made over at Noctua it seems.

Hmm. Well, that doesn't explain the higher price-tag on the P-12's, compared to the F-12's. Sense was not entirely being made over at Noctua it seems.

$3 or $4 more where I live

why the hell does linus use nf-f12s on radiators then and not the pressure ones?

Probably the lower cost.. if you can save 3-4$ on a fan that is SLIGHTLY less optimal, why not just save those few bucks?

Might be as simple as sound-difference. 

why the hell does linus use nf-f12s on radiators then and not the pressure ones?

The NF-F12s still have good pressure, I think better than the P12s according to specs.

The NF-F12 is the replacement for the NF-P12

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

• 1 year later...

The pricing is more due to the store and not Noctua.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 5 months later...

Can someone explain the 2015 new Noctua new A-Series Fan + progress on Active Noise Canceling Fans, please?
As you can see in these videos down below that Linus worked with Noctua and created the new fan with magnetic noise canceling feature blades.

post-265530-0-68593700-1443470366.jpg

I have a few questions here...
Are the new Linus series or A series out yet?
https://youtu.be/CY5CZHsiwe8
post-265530-0-04638800-1443470367.jpg

This video showed a anti-vibration cover(?) to place around the fan cover... Is this included in NF-F12 or A14? or Is this new?

https://youtu.be/zGGx-kISzto?t=3m11s

What are their product number? It looks like it should be named after NF-Axx, but I couldn't find it. 

https://youtu.be/lydoCcG6qyU?t=29s
https://youtu.be/lydoCcG6qyU?t=3m4s

post-265530-0-37322300-1443470366.jpg

Thanks a lot

Can someone explain the 2015 new Noctua new A-Series Fan + progress on Active Noise Canceling Fans, please?

As you can see in these videos down below that Linus worked with Noctua and created the new fan with magnetic noise canceling feature blades.

I have a few questions here...

Are the new Linus series or A series out yet?This video showed a anti-vibration cover(?) to place around the fan cover... Is this included in NF-F12 or A14? or Is this new?

What are their product number? It looks like it should be named after NF-Axx, but I couldn't find it. 

Thanks a lot

Their 200mm fans were supposed to be released a while ago but those have also been postponed and active-noise cancelling is probably farther in the future still.

The new A-series fan is scheduled for Q1 of 2016 and I reckon would be named NF-A12.

The colored corners should be the same for the NF-F12 or A14. 

Not sure about the fans with colored corners--just keep in mind Noctua likes to take their time. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.