Life Expectancy of current X299 CPU's?

Coombzy

At the moment Intel seem to updating their CPU's quite a bit, what i'm wondering is when the current X299 CPU's will be end of life or updated like Haswell-E to Broadwell-E.

I'm looking at buying my rig update early next year and i'm currently looking at the 7980XE (money isn't an issue, i want a 4k rendering beast). So, is there any rumours or news or do you think its set to last until 2019 at least?.

Add 2 years for the refresh and another 1-2 years until X399 (AMD got you, intel!) 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Which ones are you looking at?  If it's 10 cores or more then it will have a place in the market for a little while yet but if you're thinking of a 6 core or less, they're already obsolete imo since you can get that in the mainstream platform.  As for 8, I have a feeling we might see those on mainstream soon too (from Intel... AMD already has that).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Which ones are you looking at?  If it's 10 cores or more then it will have a place in the market for a little while yet but if you're thinking of a 6 core or less, they're already obsolete imo since you can get that in the mainstream platform.  As for 8, I have a feeling we might see those on mainstream soon too (from Intel... AMD already has that).

I'm looking at the 18 core 7980XE as money isn't an issue and, I would like it to be able to do multiple complex tasks at the same time while not having to worry about CPU load like I do with my current i7.

Just now, Coombzy said:

I'm looking at the 18 core 7980XE as money isn't an issue and, I would like it to be able to do multiple complex tasks at the same time while not having to worry about CPU load like I do with my current i7.

oh, well in that case I would be tempted to steer you toward Threadripper 1950X instead... the performance is pretty close and I know you said money isn't an issue but it would be about half last I checked, and at $1000, that's a significant savings

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, well in that case I would be tempted to steer you toward Threadripper 1950X instead... the performance is pretty close and I know you said money isn't an issue but it would be about half last I checked, and at $1000, that's a significant savings

I don't really like Threadripper, not really sold on the whole Ryzen thing until they increase clocks.

1 minute ago, Coombzy said:

I don't really like Threadripper, not really sold on the whole Ryzen thing until they increase clocks.

Then you really only have one option I guess, short of actual Xeons.  I don't expect they'll be refreshing this for a while yet... after all, how long was it from X99 to X299?

Just now, Coombzy said:

To be totally honest, you won't be running the 7980XE at high clocks anyway cos X299 consumes ungodly amounts of power when overclocked.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then you really only have one option I guess, short of actual Xeons.  I don't expect they'll be refreshing this for a while yet... after all, how long was it from X99 to X299?

But seriously, if OP is buying a high core count CPU then they probably shouldn't care about clockspeed.

Therefore the argument against Ryzen is invalid.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Around 2 years but with a refresh in the middle with Broadwell-E. i'm wondering if at the current rate Intel are putting out CPU's with the 9th gen already in the pipeline for early 2018, if they will decide to push an update to X299 in 2018.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

To be totally honest, you won't be running the 7980XE at high clocks anyway cos X299 consumes ungodly amounts of power when overclocked.

But seriously, if OP is buying a high core count CPU then they probably shouldn't care about clockspeed.

Therefore the argument against Ryzen is invalid.

I am buying a cherry picked XE that is guaranteed to run at 4.5 or higher and it'll be under a hardline loop with a large wattage PSU, i'm not bothered about power draw.

Just now, Coombzy said:

Around 2 years but with a refresh in the middle with Broadwell-E. i'm wondering if at the current rate Intel are putting out CPU's with the 9th gen already in the pipeline for early 2018, if they will decide to push an update to X299 in 2018.

I can see them refreshing the line and offering a 20 core perhaps, or just tweaking the existing ones for power consumption/thermals, etc. like what they did with the 4770k vs 4790k, but then again, maybe not.  It's anyone's guess really :P

A big overhaul with, what would it be called, x499?  Probably is several years out still though.

Just now, Coombzy said:

I am buying a cherry picked XE that is guaranteed to run at 4.5 or higher and it'll be under a hardline loop, i'm not bothered about power draw.

Ouch. That must really cost an arm, a leg and a kidney.

But why? a 4GHz 1950X is totally fine. Performance difference would be ridiculously minor if anything.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Ouch. That must really cost an arm, a leg and a kidney.

But why? a 4GHz 1950X is totally fine. Performance difference would be ridiculously minor if anything.

Its around £150 more for the cherry picked CPU which isn't too bad when you're spending almost 2k on a CPU anyway. I'm also not sold on Ryzen until it matures and, like I said, money isn't an issue. I have heard people having issues with X399 as a platform too vs X299 only having VRM heat issues on low powered boards like the X299-A and Strix.

4 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

Its around £150 more for the cherry picked CPU which isn't too bad when you're spending almost 2k on a CPU anyway. I'm also not sold on Ryzen until it matures and, like I said, money isn't an issue. I have heard people having issues with X399 as a platform too vs X299 only having VRM heat issues on low powered boards like the X299-A and Strix.

Oh trust me, X299 has just as many problems as X399.

Neither of them are error free at the moment. Ryzen has matured a lot since it came out. If you were already sure about the 7980XE then why did you ask us?

Also, Skylake X is just as risky as Ryzen because Intel screwed around with Cache hierarchy, they implemented their new Mesh Architecture and TL:DR using a 7980XE will give you worse performance in most games than a 8700K.

1 hour ago, Coombzy said:

At the moment Intel seem to updating their CPU's quite a bit, what i'm wondering is when the current X299 CPU's will be end of life or updated like Haswell-E to Broadwell-E.

I'm looking at buying my rig update early next year and i'm currently looking at the 7980XE (money isn't an issue, i want a 4k rendering beast). So, is there any rumours or news or do you think its set to last until 2019 at least?.

7900X user here, honestly I think running 18 cores @ 4.5 is insane, just go for it since  you can afford that...The moment that Intel produces higher cores @ higher stock speeds I will be upgrading instantly even if it was next week :)

Desktop Specs

Spoiler

Desktop:

CPU Intel i9-7900x - Motherboard Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9 - GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition - Boot Disk Samsung 960 PRO 512 GB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD - 2nd Disk Samsung 850 Evo 2 TB SATA SSD - Ram 32 GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 C16 - Case NZXT H440 White/Black - PSU NZXT HALE82 V2 700W - CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken AIO X62 280mm - Fans 3 x NZXT AER RGB 140 mm - RGB Controller NZXT HUE+ - Internal USB Hub NZXT - Monitor Samsung U28E850R LED 4K Monitor 60 Hz @ 1440p - Audio Creative Sound Blaster X7 DAC/AMP - Headphones Sennheiser HD650, Bose QuietControl 30, and Bose QuietComfort 35 - Optical Drives Pioneer BD-RW BDR-UD03 (USB 3) and Hitachi-LG BD-RE BU40N (USB 3) - Keyboard EMISH K8 104 Keys Mechanical Gaming Keyboard LED Backlit - Mouse EMISH Gaming Mouse LED Backlit - Chair AkRacing Gaming Chair Deluxe Full Leather Onyx Black - OS MS Windows 10 X64 Pro

File Storage:

OS LT unRaid 6.3.5 Pro  - CPU Intel Xeon 1230 V5 - Motherboard Supermicro X11SAT-F-O - Ram Samsung 16 GB (2x8) DDR4-2133 ECC Un-Buffer - Case NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable RPC-4224 - Controller LSI 3 x 9211-8i  - PSU Seasonic 1000 W Prime (80 + Platinum) - Fans Noctua 3 x 120 mm & 2 x 80 mm - HDDs WD Red 5 x 10 TB & 8 x 8 TB (Dual Parity)

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh trust me, X299 has just as many problems as X399.

Neither of them are error free at the moment. Ryzen has matured a lot since it came out. If you were already sure about the 7980XE then why did you ask us?

Also, Skylake X is just as risky as Ryzen because Intel screwed around with Cache hierarchy, they implemented their new Mesh Architecture and TL:DR using a 7980XE will give you worse performance in most games than a 8700K.

I asked because Intel are currently shovelling out chips, the 9th gen is already set to launch in Q2. 

I wondered if there was any rumours of them updating the X series again sooner rather than later as I can buy whatever chip cherry picked. My rig is also not primarily a gaming rig at all, it will be able to game but most of the work-load is 4K editing and 3d rendering. I would however like it to be the best balance between work and play.

13 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

7900X user here, honestly I think running 18 cores @ 4.5 is insane, just go for it since  you can afford that...The moment that Intel produces higher cores @ higher stock speeds I will be upgrading instantly even if it was next week :)

This is a rig I probably won't be upgrading CPU wise for a while, I just don't want to be in the situation where its months away from a new HEDT chip in 2018 when I buy it in March-April time (waiting for other releases) so that is why I asked if there were any rumours.

I don't know if it will impact rendering uses much, but I think there is still a place for X299, even at lower core counts. You get double the ram bandwidth potential, as well as AVX512 once anything supports it.

If Intel does what they historically have done, the successor to Skylake-X could be Kaby Lake-X which would be based off the server equivalents. Have they put out any Xeon roadmaps? That might be a better indicator on when next gen HEDT comes out. Absent that, you could guess. Look at the time gap between Skylake and Kaby Lake (consumer desktop), and assume similar applies to HEDT. That might put the next gen X299 towards the end of next year if they don't speed up the schedule.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

I don't know if it will impact rendering uses much, but I think there is still a place for X299, even at lower core counts. You get double the ram bandwidth potential, as well as AVX512 once anything supports it.

If Intel does what they historically have done, the successor to Skylake-X could be Kaby Lake-X which would be based off the server equivalents. Have they put out any Xeon roadmaps? That might be a better indicator on when next gen HEDT comes out. Absent that, you could guess. Look at the time gap between Skylake and Kaby Lake (consumer desktop), and assume similar applies to HEDT. That might put the next gen X299 towards the end of next year if they don't speed up the schedule.

The problem is Kaby-Lake-X already exists and on the same socket. i'm assuming the next jump would be Coffee Lake-X.

1 minute ago, Coombzy said:

The problem is Kaby-Lake-X already exists and on the same socket. i'm assuming the next jump would be Coffee Lake-X.

Thanks Intel for confusing matters. Current Kaby Lake-X is based on the desktop processor. What I meant would be the "true" Kaby Lake-X that is created from the equivalent future Xeon part. Given the similarities between KBL and CFL it may well be they skip a generation, but I don't think that would impact the timescales much.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, Coombzy said:

If Intel sticks to their usual pattern of an update in chipset every 4 years, then the successor to X299 will be in 2021.  Likewise, if they stick to their usual pattern of CPU updates within a given socket, we'll likely see a new 2066-pin CPU in 2 years (2019).  Give or take.

Again, this is just if they stick with their usual pattern.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

5 hours ago, Coombzy said:

Take a look at Benchmarks. The Threadripper is the better CPU!

The Intel is just a waste of money for a CPU that really isn't worth it because the lid isn't soldered but it is with Ryzen CPUs.

So in the end you tell Intel that it is tottally OK to ripp you off with bad products.

Only when people stop buying that stuff it is possible to get better products again...

3 hours ago, Coombzy said:

Kaby Lake X is a Joke and just the regular Kaby Lake in a 2066 package.

Thats why some Boards don't support Kaby-X

If Intel sticks to their usual pattern of an update in chipset every 4 years,

That was before they've got serious competition.

Now they have it and Skylake X isn't really that great and very energy inefficient and also the performance kinda sucks due to the bad interconnect of the cores.

That's also what eats away the energy....

I'm really surprised that nobody mentioned the bad energy efficiency of Skylake-X...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That was before they've got serious competition.

Now they have it and Skylake X isn't really that great and very energy inefficient and also the performance kinda sucks due to the bad interconnect of the cores.

That's also what eats away the energy....

If you think AMD's presence is going to force Intel to speed up their chipset refreshes, you're not quite understanding how they do business.  The X299 chipset is here for the next 3-4 years.  Just like the X99 before (3 years), and the X79 before that (3 years).  The successor to X299 will be here in 2021, maybe 2020.

BTW chipset updates accompany processor updates, but not vice versa, right?  So your carrying on about Skylake has no bearing on the chipset update.  It does have a bearing on the CPU update, and: I still expect them to come out with another round of 2066-based CPUs before they replace X299.

Get it?

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

2 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

If you think AMD's presence is going to force Intel to speed up their chipset refreshes,

Yes and?!

If you're mean you can say that Intel sold the P67 Chipset twice. Once rather cheaply and once really expensive. Because th X79 isn't that much different from the P67 - if at all.

So that isn't really an argument. 

But that isn't the issue. And I wasn't talking about the chipset because that's the least important part.

What you missed is the 64 lanes in the Threadripper processor and 128 lanes for EPIC.

To make things worse, some things are already integrated into the CPU so you don't need a big chipset. 

And THAT is the Problem.

With Chipsets I don't expect many changes or innovation these days - for that you need new technology and there isn't much at the moment. Only PCIe 4.0 wich might or might not come to the desktop and USB 3.1 with the 10Gig Transfer are the only innovation there is at the moment.

And AMD showed that you totally can sell the same chipset for many years (790X - 990FX all the same Notrhbridge, just a different southbridge) 

you're not quite understanding how they do business. 

I think I do as someone who owns a system with a i940GML.

And that's why I really don't like them much. Because of the unneccessary market fragmentation. 

But you also forgot that Threadripper has around +50% more lanes than Intel with their High End Desktop. As for Server it is much much worse. That is an enormous problem!

Do you really think that Intel will sit quietly and do their stuff when 'the others' are way beter than them and loose some big super computer deals? Really??

Because that's what will happen if they can't deliver...

The X299 chipset is here for the next 3-4 years.  Just like the X99 before (3 years), and the X79 before that (3 years).  The successor to X299 will be here in 2021, maybe 2020.

What was the competition for the X79??
Or the X99??

Oh wait, there was NONE!
The FX9590 wasn't really one.

Now there is competition in this area...

And the Compatition is way better in the I/O Area. a whopping 20 Lanes more than the HEDT Plattform right now has....

BTW chipset updates accompany processor updates, but not vice versa, right?  So your carrying on about Skylake has no bearing on the chipset update.  It does have a bearing on the CPU update, and: I still expect them to come out with another round of 2066-based CPUs before they replace X299.

Get it?

Nobody cares about Chipset, honestly. That isn't the issue.

The issue is the Socket and the restriction of lanes it puts on the Plattform. And that the Competion has 20 Lanes more.

And the enormous power consumption because they didn't get the Interconnect between the Cores and other Interfaces right. That's why AMD Ryzen is so much more efficient right now. Because they made a compromize and choose to go for high energy efficiency and a clustered approach. Every 4 cores connect via an Interface to other 4 core Cluster. 

That gave them a disadvantage at first because the software needs to be optimized for this situation because the interconnect inside those clusters is very fast but to the other 4 cores it's not that fast. But very simple and energy efficiant....

And then there is the Indium between CPU and lid for the Competition and just some thermal compound for the i9....

Sorry, but Intel has to accelerate their roadmap and rectify their mistakes as soon as possible....

That Things were different in the past isn't an argument because there was no serious compatition.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

OK, so you just used someone's sincere question about X299 lifespan to rant about Intel and prop up AMD.  I can see the "missing the point" label hanging around your neck, and that's fine.  I don't think our OP cares about AMD's presence, their chips, or anything else they're doing.  He specifically asked about Intel.

Intel isn't going to replace X299 (which is what he asked about) any sooner because of AMD.  Full stop.