Create bridge to apartment complex community wifi

I've tried googling and nothing I can find addresses a situation like this.

My apartment complex has wireless service provide by Spectrum but I need my own network for connecting an IP camera, NAS, printer, and sharing files between computers. Currently I just have a separate network that is offline, and connect to it with ethernet (on my desktop) or just switch the wifi (on my Macbook). But I think dual networks on the desktop is creating connectivity problems for games. Playerunknown Battlegrounds has been disconnecting frequently since I started using this setup. It's also a hassle switching the laptop between networks. 

I'm wondering if I can buy a router that supports bridge mode like the Netgear R6220 and bridge it to the community wifi. The way login works is you select the SSID and then enter a generic password, then your browser lets you login with a username and password assigned to the apartment unit. But it also allows you to log in and grant access to a MAC address.  Will a bridge router be able to connect to the Spectrum wifi and allow access through its ethernet ports to the community wifi? Or will the apartment wifi system try to assign DHCP IP addresses to my network?

If it works, would I then be able to connect another wifi router to one of the ethernet ports to get wifi access on my Macbook?

******UPDATE*******

I decided to try an extender and see if it would work without any hacking.

I got a Netgear EX7000.  My apartment complex wifi will assign IP addresses to everything connected through the extender. Each of those devices has to be logged in using the username/password just like if it was directly on the wifi. I used it to connect a desktop through ethernet. 

But I got annoyed with not being able to access the settings page for the Netgear so I exchanged it for a Linksys RE9000. BUT the Linksys doesn't act as a passthrough. It can connect to the community wifi and can check for firmware through the web, but the community wifi won't assign IP addresses to any connected computers. I have no idea why this is or if there's a solution.

So that's something interesting... Netgear works with community wifi, Linksys doesn't

Why don't you just get your own network connection then  you can do whatever you want with your network, probably have better speeds and not have to think about bridging anything?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

I'd be inclined to agree with ^ just because other people will cane it and you have multiple devices etc.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

12 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Why don't you just get your own network connection then  you can do whatever you want with your network, probably have better speeds and not have to think about bridging anything?

Because there is no other service provider available here, and even if there were it wouldn't perform as well-- I get 100mbps upstream and downstream for $80/month

2 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

Because there is no other service provider available here, and even if there were it wouldn't perform as well-- I get 100mbps upstream and downstream for $80/month

You pay $80/month for community WiFi?

Wait, do you live in the states? I can't believe that there would be an apartment complex where you couldn't get your own service and you had to share. I mean, here I pay $60/month for 200/20 from Comcast, all on my own network equipment. Do they like, have a router located in each apartment or just like, in the hallways or something like at a college dorm?

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Wait, do you live in the states? I can't believe that there would be an apartment complex where you couldn't get your own service and you had to share. I mean, here I pay $60/month for 200/20 from Comcast, all on my own network equipment. Do they like, have a router located in each apartment or just like, in the hallways or something like at a college dorm?

I live in Austin, one of the "tech hubs" of the world. The only service providers for most of Austin are Spectrum, Grande, and ATT. I just looked up ATT DSL and it's only available at 25mbps with a 1 terabyte limit per month! Grande doesn't provide service where I live, maybe because the apartment complex has some kind of deal with Spectrum.

I like the 100mbit upload because it makes uploads to the cloud really fast and would probably be nice if I ever run a game server or something

5 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

I live in Austin, one of the "tech hubs" of the world. The only service providers for most of Austin are Spectrum, Grande, and ATT. I just looked up ATT DSL and it's only available at 25mbps with a 1 terabyte limit per month! Grande doesn't provide service where I live, maybe because the apartment complex has some kind of deal with Spectrum.

I like the 100mbit upload because it makes uploads to the cloud really fast and would probably be nice if I ever run a game server or something

Yeah, but doesn't the idea of sharing wifi with everyone else worry you at times? I mean it wouldn't take much for someone else on the network to start collecting data from you and your neighbors. At least if you have your own network you can setup your own security policies. I guess for your original question, not sure if what you want would be possible without accessing the wireless router you're getting your network connection from. Kinda sucks that you're stuck in a situation like that.

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah, but doesn't the idea of sharing wifi with everyone else worry you at times? I mean it wouldn't take much for someone else on the network to start collecting data from you and your neighbors. At least if you have your own network you can setup your own security policies. I guess for your original question, not sure if what you want would be possible without accessing the wireless router you're getting your network connection from. Kinda sucks that you're stuck in a situation like that.

No it doesn't bother me. It's encrypted and zero sharing is possible between computers on the network. It's a pretty sophisticated fiber optic system with a wifi access point in each building, so I'm pretty sure the company knows what they're doing.

Do you know that it's impossible? I can't find any information. Comments in various threads are very vague, and people seem to generally only be interested in bridging between their own routers basically using "bridge mode" as a repeater

3 hours ago, thejackalope said:

If you pay 80 a month for spectrum then I would demand you own modem and network. Ive never heard of an apartment complex doing Internet this way. They generally run coax to every apartment and put a node in the building to serve the people who live there. Each person pays for there service and is given a gateway (modem/router). This sounds like the most fucked up setup I have ever heard about in the US. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you pay 80 a month for spectrum then I would demand you own modem and network. Ive never heard of an apartment complex doing Internet this way. They generally run coax to every apartment and put a node in the building to serve the people who live there. Each person pays for there service and is given a gateway (modem/router). This sounds like the most fucked up setup I have ever heard about in the US. 

This is the service https://www.spectrum.com/browse/content/communitysolutions-wifi.html

They have a testimonial by Cottonwood Residential which is the company that owns my complex, so I'm guessing all their properties use that service. It is what it is though, and I'm not going to move because no complex in as good as a location is this cheap!

9 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

This is the service https://www.spectrum.com/browse/content/communitysolutions-wifi.html

They have a testimonial by Cottonwood Residential which is the company that owns my complex, so I'm guessing all their properties use that service. It is what it is though, and I'm not going to move because no complex in as good as a location is this cheap!

Its still the wrong way of doing things. I would never live in a place where I didnt have my own internet connection via a cable from the ISP. 

2 hours ago, thejackalope said:

I found a thread and it sounds like bridge mode will just extend the existing network. But one of the posts says you can connect the bridge to the WAN part on another router http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2347962/bridging-public-wifi-time-warner-wifi-connection-access-point.html

do you have a router that you can use to do wifi bridge with?

web search for

dd wrt wireless router as client(called clientmode)

i did this years ago with great success but had to follow professor messers routing tables vid to solve router to router to internet double NAT issues(like 6 or 8 mins in to video)

32 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

do you have a router that you can use to do wifi bridge with?

web search for

dd wrt wireless router as client(called clientmode)

i did this years ago with great success but had to follow professor messers routing tables vid to solve router to router to internet double NAT issues(like 6 or 8 mins in to video)

I have a low end Netgear WNR2000 which doesn't support bridge. I'm looking at the Netgear R6220 as it's only $60 currently at Best Buy

Not sure I want to mess with DD-WRT or any custom firmware though, but if it's necessary I will

Found a guide https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

Have you actually contacted Spectrum and asked if they can install service directly to your suite?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, thejackalope said:

I have a low end Netgear WNR2000 which doesn't support bridge. I'm looking at the Netgear R6220 as it's only $60 currently at Best Buy

Not sure I want to mess with DD-WRT or any custom firmware though, but if it's necessary I will

yup thats the process and its not hard to flash firmware either(just export a copy of current firmware to restore the device)

the site has a list of supported routers 

this is a cheap option(free if your router is supported) and does work well

Yes, you can use the Netgear R6220 as a wireless bridge. The problem is that you have to log into your apartment unit wifi account using a software login before you can use your internet connection. I have never seen or heard of a consumer router or access point that has a built in web browser in the setup interface for signing into a web based login page.   You can connect to the apartment wifi router, but you can't sign into your account.

You may want to check your local e-waste centers or Craigslist for a cheap netbook or old laptop. Your only other options are to keep using your laptop as a wireless bridge or do as dalekphalm said.

5 hours ago, thejackalope said:

I used this in the past on an old Wireless G setup, the only difference, I only had one machine connected to the bridged router. If you choose this route, read the peacock thread on the DDWRT forums. It will give you all the instructions on how to flash your router properly. If you follow them to the letter than you should be in like flint. Then all you do is use the guide you linked. 

13 hours ago, QuantumLurker said:

Yes, you can use the Netgear R6220 as a wireless bridge. The problem is that you have to log into your apartment unit wifi account using a software login before you can use your internet connection. I have never seen or heard of a consumer router or access point that has a built in web browser in the setup interface for signing into a web based login page.   You can connect to the apartment wifi router, but you can't sign into your account.

You may want to check your local e-waste centers or Craigslist for a cheap netbook or old laptop. Your only other options are to keep using your laptop as a wireless bridge or do as dalekphalm said.

No I don't have to log in, I can use my computer to log in to the apartment router and type in any MAC address to manually authorize any device

So that R6220 will act as a "wifi client" and create a new subnet through its ethernet ports?

13 minutes ago, thejackalope said:

No I don't have to log in, I can use my computer to log in to the apartment router and type in any MAC address to manually authorize any device

So that R6220 will act as a "wifi client" and create a new subnet through its ethernet ports?

If the above proposed method does not work (Eg: It just "extends" the existing network, not putting you on a new subnet), then grabbing a 2nd router, and connecting the WAN port on it to the ethernet port on the R6220 in WIFI Bridge Mode should work just fine.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If the above proposed method does not work (Eg: It just "extends" the existing network, not putting you on a new subnet), then grabbing a 2nd router, and connecting the WAN port on it to the ethernet port on the R6220 in WIFI Bridge Mode should work just fine.

I'll buy it, and if it doesn't work I can at least use it as a wifi adapter for my desktop and free up a USB port

I didn't buy that Netgear because the price went back up, and I'm not sure it even supports bridging.  I tried bridging connections with Windows 10 on my desktop and plugging into the WAN port on my router, didn't work. I can't find Internet Connection Sharing in Win 10