Floatplane deliveries and worries by staff

Sphelx

I've been wanting to say something for a little while now, and I've sat on my thoughts until now. But the video "FP Exclusive - Teasing Dale the Sleeper" is what finally drove me over the edge.

@LinusTech mate, you in particular, have this bad habit of apologising, for frankly nothing.
"I haven't done an update for you guys in a while" You kidding me? The last update was what, less than a week ago? Is that even considered a long time?
I kinda feel like you've got these sky-high expectations for yourself and what you and your team "should" be producing for us, to the point where you're actually being unreasonable with yourself and putting these unnecessary demands on your 'required' output. You've got a wife mate, and kids, I understand if something is gonna be a day late or even just a few hours late - That's cool with me - deal with your stuff; it's okay.

And @nicklmg, you as well, end up apologising to us because adobe media encoder threw a sheep bleat error and an upload will now take "another hour or two". So what? An hour or two? Is that meant to be some massive hindrance or upset for me and all the other Floatplaners? (Did you ever decide on a noun in the end?)
Don't get me wrong - I understand that you want to be transparent and communicate well with us - and that's great - But I don't think that you owe us an apology for adobe errors and editing issues. I for one am glad you take the time to make your content the best you can - That's why I continue to watch after a year and a half of having found you all.

Both of you - I understand that you're trying really hard to put a super professional face on what was originally a small upstart youtuber operation, making yourselves into a full-fat media organisation that's capable of operating and delivering without the support of the youtube infrastructure and userbase, but it really does feel like you're all far too often harsh on yourselves over comparatively tiny little upsets about delivery and updates.

I didn't pay £50 (or whatever it was) for Floatplane because I DEMANDED that content be provided on an ultra-strict schedule with ABSOLUTELY NO DISAPPOINTMENTS.
I paid the money because I like the content you produce, I like you guys, and I wanna help you all succeed and keep making this stuff.
So what if a video is a couple of hours late? So what if it's been a few extra days or a week since you gave us an exclusive update or lead hours/days on a video before it's published to youtube? I'm still gonna watch it on floatplane even though it's sitting in my youtube queue because I get the privilege (yes privilege, not right) of it being ad-free and higher bitrate.

I work in TV myself, so I understand the harsh reality of schedules and deliveries... But with nobody to answer to except us (and frankly the Floatplane crowd seem a hell of a lot nicer than the youtube crowd) then I don't think you've got as much to panic over as you think you do. Take it easy - if something's late; then we'll wait.

And yeah okay, if all the panic and worry is over meeting advertiser-set deadlines about air dates, then my whole point is kinda null and void, but I figure at least for the sake of the Floatplane crowd (who I hope will back me up in this!) it's worth saying - Don't worry; we'll wait.

Much love

Sphelx Komodo

I initially paid to get scrapyard wars sooner, now I just browse whenever.  I get a backlog of videos up to 3 weeks long, well worth 30 bucks

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I understand that there are a couple of oddball cases that I sometimes nag about (errors, etc.), but they're expected - pushing out content without time to search in depth for errors will let some slip through.

That's fine. It's also great to see y'all fix a majority of the problems subtly from FPC to youtube - especially when the time between the two is less than a day. Credit's due to whoever reads the threads on those.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I understand your @LinusTech comment, but the comment for @nicklmg I think is kind of unwarranted.You seem to think that an update on the status of a video release that takes 10-15mins to write is over stressing him. If Media Encoder got drunk and drew a bunch of dicks on my project, I would make a post saying why the video is gonna be late while I tap my foot waiting for Media encoder to get his shit together.

The way that you can look at it is that Floatplane is(in theory) a service, and they're trying to uphold the claims that were made when you signed up. I wouldn't criticize them too much for it because they're giving you what you paid for, and letting you know when things aren't quite going as planned.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I just come to floatplane to download the week's episodes to chill on my couch on a saturday morning, eat my cornflakes with my son and chill with my tech nerdiness.  I like it, son likes it.  Content is great, looks great, and is worth far more than the paltry $3 USD i pay a month for it.  I only wish that WAN show was on FP with the higher bitrates and better everything.  Also, because its a PITA to have to go to YT just for WAN show.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

1 minute ago, MedievalMatt said:

I just come to floatplane to download the weeks episode to chill on my couch on a saturday morning, eat my cornflakes with my son and chill with my tech nerdiness.  I like it, son likes it.  Content is great, looks great, and is worth far more than the paltry $3 USD i pay a month for it.  I only wish that WAN show was on FP with the higher bitrates and better everything.  Also, because its a PITA to have to go to YT just for WAN show.

Even if WAN Show wasn't at a higher bitrate I'd want it here just so I can download it without going through a bunch of crappy third party sites with ads that look like the ones on TPB.

3 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

I just come to floatplane to download the week's episodes to chill on my couch on a saturday morning, eat my cornflakes with my son and chill with my tech nerdiness.  I like it, son likes it.  Content is great, looks great, and is worth far more than the paltry $3 USD i pay a month for it.  I only wish that WAN show was on FP with the higher bitrates and better everything.  Also, because its a PITA to have to go to YT just for WAN show.

I think I remember them mentioning having some uploading the WAN show due to stress on the system and that they're working on it.

"I think"

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

2 hours ago, LordoftheRaccoons said:

Even if WAN Show wasn't at a higher bitrate I'd want it here just so I can download it without going through a bunch of crappy third party sites with ads that look like the ones on TPB.

haha, I have YT Red as part of my play all access subscription ($10/Mo. US) which means i dont get ads on YT ever, so its not a huge deal... just a PITA to have to go to a different app.

2 hours ago, Imbellis said:

I think I remember them mentioning having some uploading the WAN show due to stress on the system and that they're working on it.

"I think"

Id be ok with "heres this months WAN Shows" as a big pack once a month.  That probably would be less stress on their system, and would be fine by me.  if i want WAN show that week, go to YT.  otherwise, end of the month i get to binge.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

They're Canadian, of course they're gonna apologize.

Just let them be, there's no harm done by apologizing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Even on this very forum there are people who get rather vocal if things aren't released on time or whatever. In fact to be honest the community can be very demanding. 

3 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

I'm confused

What he's saying is 

"Fuck you, stop trying too hard."

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

What he's saying is 

"Fuck you, stop trying too hard."

:o

It is weird. On one side, they are trying to start a new service that has high standards and is reputable. On the other hand, this service is mainly attracting some of their most forgiving and loyal followers.

Think it the other way. They are building platform for creators and viewers to interact with each other. Even if it just by one side paying and other one delivering something for the money. If you go to local, small store and they don't for reason or another have what you are looking for, do you take "Hey, these things happen, mate" for a quality service answer? I think not. The service where provider actually thinks what customers feel like is premium quality compared to bigger service where you feel like not being appreciated.

So what Linus and co are doing isn't just apologizing for nothing really. They are reassuring for us the customers that they actually care about quality of their service and want us to have it just as promised. I might not care, you obviously don't care, but there are number of vocal members who would create threads demanding content if there wasn't any note about reasons of missing it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv