Compatible Ram?

NoLoMo

You'll need DDR4, which you have. Looks good!

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

2 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

You'll need DDR4, which you have. Looks good!

He should always check on the manufacturer's website for the QVL list, because ddr4 does not mean it's necessarily compatible.

He could run into all sorts of issues.

1 minute ago, sambarr said:

He should always check on the manufacturer's website for the QVL list, because ddr4 does not mean it's necessarily compatible.

On another note, do you think it is a good deal?

1 minute ago, NoLoMo said:

Yeah, it's decent. There's a 10$ off code too.

I just noticed, on the QVL, it was tested at 2933...

So I can't guarantee it will go up to 3200+. But it will work at 2933 for sure.

Just now, NoLoMo said:

In general, you can find a 16GB (2x8) DDR4 kit on standard pricing for $150. Just saying. If the design of the heatspreaders really appeals to you, go for it. Otherwise, you can probably find some cheaper kit from another reputable brand, like G.Skill, Kingston, HyperX (I know it's a part of Kingston still), A.DATA, Crucial, GeIL, Micron, Mushkin, or Samsung.

6 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

In general, you can find a 16GB (2x8) DDR4 kit on standard pricing for $150. Just saying. If the design of the heatspreaders really appeals to you, go for it. Otherwise, you can probably find some cheaper kit from another reputable brand, like G.Skill, Kingston, HyperX (I know it's a part of Kingston still), A.DATA, Crucial, GeIL, Micron, Mushkin, or Samsung.

I really dont care for the heatspreaders but I have not found anything cheaper.

8 minutes ago, sambarr said:

Yeah, it's decent. There's a 10$ off code too.

I just noticed, on the QVL, it was tested at 2933...

So I can't guarantee it will go up to 3200+. But it will work at 2933 for sure.

Yup I was told that the speeds are fine since ryzen benefits from higher speeds

1 minute ago, NoLoMo said:

Yup I was told that the speeds are fine since ryzen benefits from higher speeds

It really depends on the game or application. If you video edit all day, it's a negligible speed advantage. If you work on precision applications, like CAD, it's negligible. If you play games that can leverage higher RAM speeds (Battlefield, I'm looking at you!), then go for it.

16 minutes ago, sambarr said:

I can't say I have ever checked a QVL list when buying Ram. It isn't really necessary to do it. It is DDR4 ram so it will be compatible. The only issue might be it not running at it's rated speed. A good amount of ram issues have been ironed out with the bios updates.

2 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

I can't say I have ever checked a QVL list when buying Ram. It isn't really necessary to do it. It is DDR4 ram so it will be compatible. The only issue might be it not running at it's rated speed. A good amount of ram issues have been ironed out with the bios updates.

It's fine, but if you can't post because of a ram issue, you might not even be able to do a bios update.

So you're taking a chance.

I've seen it in the past, brand new system, no post. Ram not supported. " It is DDR4 ram so it will be compatible" is simply not true.

4 minutes ago, sambarr said:

It's fine, but if you can't post because of a ram issue, you might not even be able to do a bios update.

So you're taking a chance.

I've seen it in the past, brand new system, no post. Ram not supported. " It is DDR4 ram so it will be compatible" is simply not true.

Any 3200 MHz kit will be either Hynix die or Samsung B-die. So it is pretty much guaranteed to work at 2800 MHz with Agesa code 1006

:)

8 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

It really depends on the game or application. If you video edit all day, it's a negligible speed advantage. If you work on precision applications, like CAD, it's negligible. If you play games that can leverage higher RAM speeds (Battlefield, I'm looking at you!), then go for it.

Mmm, alright not sure how ram intensive my work is but I'll keep that in mind.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Any 3200 MHz kit will be either Hynix die or Samsung B-die. So it is pretty much guaranteed to work at 2800 MHz with Agesa code 1006

If your board ships with an updated bios.

2 minutes ago, sambarr said:

If your board ships with an updated bios.

Yes. If not, it'll just run at 2400-2666 MHz for Hynix die, and 2933 MHz for Samsung B-die. Because we know which ICs the kit uses, and we know roughly how it will work

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Yes. If not, it'll just run at 2400-2666 MHz for Hynix die, and 2933 MHz for Samsung B-die. Because we know which ICs the kit uses, and we know roughly how it will work

Sure. I'm just saying, if your system build is time-sensitive (delivery to a customer, a gift, etc.), then you might as well look up the QVL and try to pick a kit that's been tested.

Nothing more fun than doing an RMA with newegg and waiting for a refund, and another kit.

1 minute ago, sambarr said:

Sure. I'm just saying, if your system build is time-sensitive (delivery to a customer, a gift, etc.), then you might as well look up the QVL and try to pick a kit that's been tested.

They can't test every single kit of ram though. So just because a particular kit isn't on the list doesn't mean it won't run at the rated speed. If you want guaranteed speeds then you need Samsung B die as mentioned above.

Just now, lee32uk said:

They can't test every single kit of ram though. So just because a particular kit isn't on the list doesn't mean it won't run at the rated speed. If you want guaranteed speeds then you need Samsung B die as mentioned above.

Yeah. 

54 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

I am running 32GB of G.Skill Aegis RAM in quad-channel on an Asus X99-A II. It's not on the QVL, but it works flawlessly. Don't get so flustered about which kit works and which kit doesn't. If it works, great. If it doesn't, just get an RMA. RAM rarely ever fails, and so long it's from a reputable brand, you should be good.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

There are some 3rd party lists/db that can help.

https://rymem.vraith.com/

https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=166631

https://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=14263

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.