New networking gear for home and for fun

GoldDragon007

I'm looking for some equipment for a 2 level house, which supports at least these: AC, MU-MIMO, QoS (and doesn't need to be support ad, it's useless). Because the house is 'big' I will need a long-range router and also repeater on the floor level (internet comes in in the 1st level). Unfortunately, I can't connect those two points with a new cable, because cable is ugly... and need holes... However if have better idea than the repeater just share it. For the floor level, the main reason why I need a repeater or an AP because there's the tv, xbox, etc which - some of them - need internet connection and only LAN interface has on it (no wifi or not possible to use/extend with it). I'm looked some of the current available routers and I think TP-LINK AC5400 or NETGEAR nighthawk 8 AC5300 would great, any other idea?

Also I'm looking for a router which can serve 200+ wireless and wired clients (all connected with switches or APs) without any problems and also has advanced QoS settings, speed limitation, client statistic (I can see how big was the client's usage compared to the other's, connections, other administration helping services) and ban. (if somebody uses torrent on the network I can detect it and ban, or limit). Let's say, this needed for bigger LAN parties. We did it with a netgear consumer device, but somewhere at 160-170 clients the UI didn't respond, but at least the network was stable. For this any idea?

Do you have a budget for this equipment?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

28 minutes ago, intertan said:

I can tell you right now. Your expectations vs reality isn't going to work

I know it, I'm an engineer. But that doesn't mean I know every brand's device, so this is why I'm here, maybe I will get some great device tips and not funny comments bro.

I have now a Linksys RE6500 repeater and it sucks. I think it's because the two device is far, with 2 brick walls between them. I thought about to buy a powerline set, but it always died the previous ones within a year when a storm came or just randomly, well those were from the internet provider so... possibly those were sh*ts.

14 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Do you have a budget for this equipment?

I don't want to spend a ton of money, but for the first, watch the two mentioned one, maybe a bit higher (x2 because it needs two device (if the current won't work), the second device is just a repeater/AP so it doesn't need to do special stuff, only MU-MIMO if there's any, soo possible it less then x2), it depends on the value/cost.

The second one, well... totally no idea.

Have you looked into Ubiquity gear?

What country are you in?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Nope.

Hungary (Europe), if something is sold in Europe it's better, at least because in that case there's no import fee. :)

Just now, GoldDragon007 said:

Nope.

Hungary (Europe), if something is sold in Europe it's better, at least because in that case there's no import fee. :)

Check on Ubiquity gear, they should have locations in Europe so you could order from there.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Do you have other recommendation, which is more likely for customers and not for enterprise?

5 hours ago, GoldDragon007 said:

I'm looking for some equipment for a 2 level house, which supports at least these: AC, MU-MIMO, QoS (and doesn't need to be support ad, it's useless). Because the house is 'big' I will need a long-range router and also repeater on the floor level (internet comes in in the 1st level). Unfortunately, I can't connect those two points with a new cable, because cable is ugly... and need holes... However if have better idea than the repeater just share it. For the floor level, the main reason why I need a repeater or an AP because there's the tv, xbox, etc which - some of them - need internet connection and only LAN interface has on it (no wifi or not possible to use/extend with it). I'm looked some of the current available routers and I think TP-LINK AC5400 or NETGEAR nighthawk 8 AC5300 would great, any other idea?

Also I'm looking for a router which can serve 200+ wireless and wired clients (all connected with switches or APs) without any problems and also has advanced QoS settings, speed limitation, client statistic (I can see how big was the client's usage compared to the other's, connections, other administration helping services) and ban. (if somebody uses torrent on the network I can detect it and ban, or limit). Let's say, this needed for bigger LAN parties. We did it with a netgear consumer device, but somewhere at 160-170 clients the UI didn't respond, but at least the network was stable. For this any idea?

did you set routers gateway ip to be realtime priority QoS

also make sure the the routers ui port has priority elevation as well

33 minutes ago, GoldDragon007 said:

Do you have other recommendation, which is more likely for customers and not for enterprise?

With looking at 170 to 200+ users you're going to have a really hard time finding a lot of solid consumer grade equipment that can really handle that many clients easily and not start to choke. Prosumer gear will give you more options and better stability. You can get a lot of ubiquity stuff pretty easily on Amazon and whatnot so just poke around, not sure what are the best sites for you so I'm just throwing out names.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16 minutes ago, Lurick said:

With looking at 170 to 200+ users you're going to have a really hard time finding a lot of solid consumer grade equipment that can really handle that many clients easily and not start to choke. Prosumer gear will give you more options and better stability. You can get a lot of ubiquity stuff pretty easily on Amazon and whatnot so just poke around, not sure what are the best sites for you so I'm just throwing out names.

Yeap, I know that, but I have two topic here, this 170 to 200+ user is one, the other one is just a home network appr. 20 devices. Sorry for confusion.

Just now, GoldDragon007 said:

Yeap, I know that, but I have two topic here, this 170 to 200+ user is one, the other one is just a home network appr. 20 devices. Sorry for confusion.

Ah! Gotcha.

For home users at about 20 users the TP-Link AC5400 or or AC3200 have my vote

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ah! Gotcha.

For home users at about 20 users the TP-Link AC5400 or or AC3200 have my vote

And what you suggest for the floor level? Repeater or powerline than a router or another router in repeater mode? As I wrote at my first comment's first paragraph (1st topic). I have a big house with two levels, and the internet comes in the first floor but I have some equipment which needs internet on the floor level, but I'm not allowed to put down cable and those devices doesn't support wireless so I need at least a receiver there which has 4 ports... Oh and the distance is a bit far, with 2 brick wall. (signal streight is 2-3 of 5, extender says: Link rate: 130Mbps (2.4Ghz) and 26Mbps (5Ghz) - well now it's really good...)

13 minutes ago, GoldDragon007 said:

And what you suggest for the floor level? Repeater or powerline than a router or another router in repeater mode?

That's a tough one.

If the line quality is good in your home the powerline would be good.

Otherwise, repeater or mesh mode would be better.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: