"cooling" pad that might make a difference to my laptop

I recently got an ASUS GL553 gaming laptop to use as a mobile game and work station from when i travel home from university (Like the coming christmas period). Its an amazing laptop for my use, but it gets really hot when under stress, which is expected. I like to use it sat in the living room but when i go home i have a desk that i use. So, my question is: Do laptop cooling pads actually help? i like the idea of having the laptop at a slight angle so its easier to type on, as well as trying to get the thermals under control (becuase with heat comes ALOT of noise).

Any suggestions/advice (such as how i could improve the thermals) would be much appreciated, im a student to nothing too expensive please!

Thank's in advance!

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

They can help, but I find that undervolting my CPU helps most with reducing temperatures. This site really helped me: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

Plus it's easier not carrying extra junk.

Awesome thanks dude! is it possible to undervolt the GPU too? i havent done undervolting before so

35 minutes ago, owencrispy said:

Awesome thanks dude! is it possible to undervolt the GPU too? i havent done undervolting before so

That utility can, but if recommend undervolting in Afterburner if you need to m in my MSI GS73VR, my CPU had more hear issues than the 1060. I haven't touched my GPU settings, the CPU fixed my heat throttling issues.

As a reference, my 6700HQ is understood by -135mv. I also turned off super turbo it whatever it is. Didn't need to turbo for 15 seconds at a time. I haven't noticed any issues. I can send you a screenshot of my settings later if you like.

Let me know if you've got any questions it issues on that.

33 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

That utility can, but if recommend undervolting in Afterburner if you need to m in my MSI GS73VR, my CPU had more hear issues than the 1060. I haven't touched my GPU settings, the CPU fixed my heat throttling issues.

As a reference, my 6700HQ is understood by -135mv. I also turned off super turbo it whatever it is. Didn't need to turbo for 15 seconds at a time. I haven't noticed any issues. I can send you a screenshot of my settings later if you like.

Let me know if you've got any questions it issues on that.

i have a 7500HQ and a gtx 1050 4GB, if you could send me the setting that would be amazing!

10 minutes ago, owencrispy said:

i have a 7500HQ and a gtx 1050 4GB, if you could send me the setting that would be amazing!

I'll try to get them tonight

The GL553 only has one fan and has pretty small intakes.

The Cooler Master Notepal U3+ is what I use and it does make a noticeable (albeit not gigantic) difference due to me placing the fans over the intake.

Undervolting the CPU is recommended however. GPU-wise, not really since the voltage on them tend to be quite reasonable, so they don’t kick off a lot of heat but if you’d want, you can do so too.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1