What are some examples of fast yet (somewhat) practical sports cars?

XboxCarsForza
On 11/22/2017 at 3:29 PM, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

How about a rebuilt Miata with an LS3 swap... Mind you the work done on this car is ridiculous (tires, suspension, brakes) as the weight distribution hasn't changed much and most of the creature comforts still work as intended. The spec for this car can be found here

Flyin-Miata-LS3-V8-2016-Mazda-MX-5-engin

The gun analogy for this car would be a snub-nosed Colt Python.

See also a BRZ with an LS2 engine dropped in it.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The Raptor only throws raw performance at the 'problem,' it's a muscle truck, and skimming the lines of desert crawler. Sports cars primarily use aerodynamic design, load shifting, and wieght reduction to achieve the same results.

More raw performance is a bad thing?? The thing achieves the goal of being fast. Just because the weight isn't reduced a ton and aerodynamics aren't amazing doesn't mean its not "sporty" at all. Hell, the Model S weighs over 5k pounds so would that not be considered sporty either?

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

Just now, aubryscully said:

More raw performance is a bad thing?? The thing achieves the goal of being fast. Just because the weight isn't reduced a ton and aerodynamics aren't amazing doesn't mean its not "sporty" at all. Hell, the Model S weighs over 5k pounds so would that not be considered sporty either?

Raw performance isn't what makes a vehicle a sports car. Hyundai made a sports car, the Tiburon, and the thing was on the heavier side and still zippy with a 4 banger because of the wieght distrobution and aerodynamics.

Whereas the nature of muscle cars and trucks is to literally throw power at, usually, a heavy and aerodynamically poor design. The Raptor is a muscle truck. The Lightning was a sports truck.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

My schnauzers? They do 0-60 calories in about 5 seconds of barking. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

See also a BRZ with an LS2 engine dropped in it.

Ooo is it the same level of work? Which company?

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

26 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Ooo is it the same level of work? Which company?

Weapons grade performance. The complete upgrade kit minus the engine itself costs like 10 grand, and they'll do the install for 5.

https://shop.weaponsgradeperformance.com/products/wgp-brz06-frs-brz-ls-swap-kit

http://www.lsxmag.com/features/car-features/weapons-grade-performances-v8-swapped-subaru-brz06/

My vote's for the Subaru WRX.  AWD for those intense Canadian winters, 0-60 in around 5 seconds and plenty of room for back-seat passengers and the weekend grocery run.  Plus, it doesn't break the bank and holds it's value!

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

JayzTwoCents' 2010 Nissan 370Z Nismo 'Nizzy' 

Image result for jayztwocents nizzy

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

The Raptor only throws raw performance at the 'problem,' it's a muscle truck, and skimming the lines of desert crawler. Sports cars primarily use aerodynamic design, load shifting, and wieght reduction to achieve the same results.

I'd just like to point out that I think you're applying your own internal definition to "Sports Car" that may not necessarily be in line with actuality.

For example: You say it's a "muscle truck". Well, a relative of that would be the American Muscle Car.

American Muscle cars are not known for aerodynamic design. In fact, they "throw raw performance" at the problem in most cases.

However:

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports cars with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."

So if a Muscle Car is a Sports Car, therefore a fast truck could also be considered a Sports Car.

Although granted, it's still a truck. And many people will argue "A truck isn't a car", so there's that. But you never made "truck vs car" part of your argument, so that's a different discussion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

All the big German Brands (Merc, BMW, Audi) have practical cars: Those station wagons or shooting brakes you americans hate :P . They are all available with ridiculously overpowered motorisation and I can say the E-classes handle great and are really sporty although they are family cars. 

But you wouldn't notice in the US, because as one of the motortrend guys put it: "It gets best only above US speed limits..." hehe ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Parents just recently got a 2017 SS, can confirm is practical.

That's awesome! Not sure what variant they got, but it they got the one with the LS3 in it, that thing is quick. Driving a Corvette but only paying for sedan insurance.

A Mercedes AMG wagon, or perhaps that new Jeep Trackhawk thing would be practical, yet absurdly overpowered and nimble. The latter carries the same powertrain as the Charger/Challenger Hellcat, which is to say, a 700 HP engine.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Parents just recently got a 2017 SS, can confirm is practical.

Just took a look. Not bad looking, and decent specs.

The MPG is a bit low - certainly not "fuel efficient" - only 22 MPG highway, 14 MPG city. For comparison's sake, my Jetta gets about 32 MPG highway and 24 MPG city. But it's also like 115 HP xD

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Just took a look. Not bad looking, and decent specs.

The MPG is a bit low - certainly not "fuel efficient" - only 22 MPG highway, 14 MPG city. For comparison's sake, my Jetta gets about 32 MPG highway and 24 MPG city. But it's also like 115 HP xD

It’s not, and when you can/could get them at end-of-model year sales, they become a very viable option if you want a speedy sedan that can actually seat 5 people decently. 

Rated MPG isn’t spectacular but it’s alright as a whole. For the most part you’d be going through a whole tank after clocking decent miles on it. It’s also not stupid expensive to fuel, too (at least concerning my location). 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

If nobody has mentioned C4+ Corvettes uh... They're moderately practical.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

BMW i118

kUCxtjJ.png

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2018 Dodge Durango SRT or 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

2017 or 2018 Dodge Charger SRT trims

Seconding what @Dan Castellaneta said about the SS, seem like a really nice blend of performance and practicality.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

2017 or 2018 Dodge Charger SRT trims

Muscle car. Not very manuverable, more suited to drag races.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Muscle car. Not very manuverable, more suited to drag races.

Still a sports car. And some of the newer models can manoeuvre well enough.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Still a sports car. And some of the newer models can manoeuvre well enough.

As per Wikipedia, the requirements to qualify as a sports car are manuverability and being light weight. Muscle cars are not light weight, and they become significantly less manuverable at speed.

Not a sports car, unless we expand that to include 90% of cars and trucks on the road today.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

As per Wikipedia, the requirements to qualify as a sports car are manuverability and being light weight. Muscle cars are not light weight, and they become significantly less manuverable at speed.

Not a sports car, unless we expand that to include 90% of cars and trucks on the road today.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/muscle-car?s=t

a flashy sports car with a large, powerful engine; a hot rod.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/muscle car

any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving

Coupe, of course, being a shorter car, therefore "sports car" would still apply.

Furthermore, the Wikipedia entry on Sports Car clearly says that the definition is not standardized, and is controversial depending on who is asked.

You may not consider a muscle car a sports car, but that does not make your personal definition official or discount those who agree that yes, a Muscle Car is indeed a sub-type of sports car.

Furthermore, what do you consider "light weight"?

A 2010 Nissan 370z Nismo weighs around 3200 lbs. A 2017 Chevy Camaro SS weighs around 3800 lbs. A newer model Aston Martin DBS weighs around 4000 lbs. A 2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 RF weighs about 2400 lbs.

So does that mean the Miata is the only sports car? I don't think anyone considers a DBS or a 370z a muscle car.

so wheres the pimped out 6th gen civic with a 2.0 VETC engine shoved in it and tuned+upgraded right. (easily over 200hp+ with a car weight under 2700lbs). the engines are also can get 30mpg if you use a fuel economy tuning.  

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

In what world is a GTR, a 1000hp Minivan, and a Tesla considered anywhere remotely practical.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro