Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Graphics Cards Fans Don't Start Unless I Manually Set Them

1Reshiram12

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,
Just now, 1Reshiram12 said:

The fans work with GPU tweak uninstalled, but I'd like to keep it so that I can control the LEDs and set custom settings.

There should be a checkbox somewhere to apply your settings when the utility starts up.

I have a 1070 Strix and usually when I start my computer I go into Asus's graphics card utility and set my preferred fan curve. However occasionally I forget to do that, and when I play a game, the card decides to sit at 93C and thermal throttle rather than turn on it's own fans. I was tipped off that I had forgotten to open up the tuning utility today when I smelled smoldering electronics. I was wondering why the card doesn't turn on its own fans, because I imagine there are people who don't use the tuning utility, and I'm pretty sure their fans turn on. If you have any suggestions of how to fix this besides manually turning on the fans each time I turn on my computer, please let me know.

The card is designed to keep the fans from spinning until the GPU hits 60 degrees C.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

The card is designed to keep the fans from spinning until the GPU hits 60 degrees C.

Yes, but they are saying that the card is reaching 93 degrees and the fans still don't start. 

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I know but 93C is greater 60C.

I know but 93C is a bit over 60C.

Does the ASUS utility start when the PC starts?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Does the ASUS utility start when the PC starts?

No only if I open it.

No only if I open it.

Do the fans run when the system is booting up, like during POST?

Do the fans run when the system is booting up, like during POST?

Lemme check.

2 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

They do spin up during POST.

Did you use the card before installing and using the ASUS utility?

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Did you use the card before installing and using the ASUS utility?

Well, technically to download ASUS utility I used the card, but not for any actual gaming.

Well, technically to download ASUS utility I used the card, but not for any actual gaming.

Yes, but I'm just talking about gaming or high loads. 

Using the ASUS utility, reset the card fans back to auto and put the card under a high load.

try uninstalling the Asus utility, my guess is that it's taking control of the fans even if you aren't starting it.

Yes, but I'm just talking about gaming or high loads. 

Using the ASUS utility, reset the card fans back to auto and put the card under a high load.

Auto works, but I still have to open up Asus utility and press the auto setting.

Auto works, but I still have to open up Asus utility and press the auto setting.

Remove the utility like suggested above and see if that does the trick. If it still doesn't work, reboot and try again.

The fans work with GPU tweak uninstalled, but I'd like to keep it so that I can control the LEDs and set custom settings.

There should be a checkbox somewhere to apply your settings when the utility starts up.

That worked, I can live with it being open in the background when I start my computer, thanks!