Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does my plan to solve wireless connectivity make sense?

ScoffMathews

Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

That's exactly what you'd want to do. You get any router, you run it in Access Point mode and then run an ethernet cable from the main router to the new router and place the new router wherever you want. You could also try to move the main router to somewhere more centrally located and just use the one router. 

Hi, I have a networking problem in a relative's house: they live in a large-ish house (by Mexico's standards) and I recently found out that they solved not being able to get wifi on the back/front on the house and first/second floor by just having two different ISPs. Aside from seeming like a huge waste of money, apparently they forgot about this happening, it came up because both wifi networks stopped working for a couple weeks.

The way the ISP set up the wiring, the ISP supplied router is set up at the top left corner house (see my drawing lol). I don't have the model of the modem/router thing the ISP supplied with me atm but I can get it if it's relevant, I remember the brand is ubee. This device can't cover the entire house, it's particularly bad when trying to cover the right part of the house, specially the right bottom where there's a computer/gaming room. The main things to cover, again to the drawing... is to have acceptable internet connection in the netflix room, the gaming room, and the room with a mac.

I've done some research and I think what we need to buy is a new router, due to availability and prices, I'm looking at TP-Link Archer C7 and C2. I've read mixed reviews/opinions on the ability of this devices of getting the signal through the walls. I'm not too sure on how either would be hooked up and configured... personally I have a ~30 bucks wifi repeater in my house to get full coverage and that's connected through wifi and can't run on different channels. As I understand it, I would run an Ethernet cable from my ISP supplied device thing to the archer c7/c2 and that would give it connectivity, right? Would it be possible to run that wire downstairs and have both the ubee device and the Archer working on different channels and stuff? I would hope in this way the archer can cover the bottom floor, and the ubee can give wifi to the netflix screen. I'm not sure if that makes sense, I wanna make sure the plan is sound because apparently the return policy on this is pretty bad where I would get it, and basically can only return if it's DoA.

house layout lol.png

Edited by ScoffMathews
Forgot to add my drawing :)

That's exactly what you'd want to do. You get any router, you run it in Access Point mode and then run an ethernet cable from the main router to the new router and place the new router wherever you want. You could also try to move the main router to somewhere more centrally located and just use the one router. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

19 minutes ago, ScoffMathews said:

personally I have a ~30 bucks wifi repeater in my house to get full coverage

Couldn't this be done here?

If you are going to run cables anyway why not just wire the computers and don't worry about wifi?
Or are there other devices you didn't mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

Wifi repeaters are terrible -- you never want to use them unless there is literally no way to get a wire to an access point. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Wifi repeaters are terrible -- you never want to use them unless there is literally no way to get a wire to an access point.

Depends on your use but yeah, they generally are not that great.  Better than nothing though.

9 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

I took mine to test, didn't really help :(

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

So channels and all would be set up independently... I guess I will follow through then... is there any known significant difference between the two routers I mentioned? C7 is ~400 pesos (25 dollars) more expensive than the c2. C5 is for some reason twice the price of c7.

8 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

If you are going to run cables anyway why not just wire the computers and don't worry about wifi?
Or are there other devices you didn't mentioned.

Well, in general people would like to use their phones and stuff, but the quality is less of a concern (Right now its downright imposible to get wifi on the kitchen/right computer without having the second ISP... and there's also that thing were people think wires are ugly (It came up in a Pimp my wifi episode I think).

Have they checked with the isp?  sometimes they will have a solution that is cheaper and they will have to go to the trouble of running new wires.

Just now, ScoffMathews said:

Well, in general people would like to use their phones and stuff, but the quality is less of a concern (Right now its downright imposible to get wifi on the kitchen/right computer without having the second ISP... and there's also that thing were people think wires are ugly (It came up in a Pimp my wifi episode I think).

Run the wires out of sight like under the floor or between the walls (if you are living in a decently build house that is ... those american triplex buildings will ofcourse not have this option). there are also strips you can buy at most DIY shops which have some sticky tape on the back and you can use them to route cables and when applied right they don't look ugly at all.

Probably best future proof scenario would be to run a cable downstairs and have a switch there (dumb 8 port switch or so). from there you can run a cable to the left part and a cable to the right computer and a cable to a simple access point which you ceiling mount in the center of the room.

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

Have they checked with the isp?  sometimes they will have a solution that is cheaper and they will have to go to the trouble of running new wires.

I'll check, though they did send a tech guy a month ago or so, he swapped the modem combo that was dead (and brought this to my attention) for a new one... and he didn't bother to offer anything so I'm not too hopeful.

2 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

Run the wires out of sight like under the floor or between the walls (if you are living in a decently build house that is ... those american triplex buildings will ofcourse not have this option). there are also strips you can buy at most DIY shops which have some sticky tape on the back and you can use them to route cables and when applied right they don't look ugly at all.

Probably best future proof scenario would be to run a cable downstairs and have a switch there (dumb 8 port switch or so). from there you can run a cable to the left part and a cable to the right computer and a cable to a simple access point which you ceiling mount in the center of the room.

Well... house is concrete, I don't know how I would run stuff under or between anything.
The future proof scenario you describe, is it incompatible with this for a short fix? I didn't get a huge budget and I personally would not be able to run a lot of wiring any time soon, I was thinking of doing this next weekend in like one hour. Since I do visit often the long term is appealing, but that would be until January or something.

2 hours ago, ScoffMathews said:

Well... house is concrete

Well there is your problem. I can tell you that my sister used to live in maybe a 1500 sq foot house. The Archer C7 covered it well, and the router was tucked in a corner. The issue is her house like many houses in the US was made out of wood and dry wall. Which are very WiFi friendly. Concrete not so friendly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, ScoffMathews said:

This device can't cover the entire house, it's particularly bad when trying to cover the right part of the house, specially the right bottom where there's a computer/gaming room.

tbh, generally all modem-router 2in1 devices provided by ISPs are bad. what we usually do is buy a separate WiFi router and set the 2in1 into bridge mode (this turns off its router capabilities). We also turn off its WiFi completely to avoid interference.

3 hours ago, ScoffMathews said:

is there any known significant difference between the two routers I mentioned? C7 is ~400 pesos (25 dollars) more expensive than the c2. C5 is for some reason twice the price of c7.

their theoretical wireless throughput.

C2: AC750 (N300 + AC450)

C5: AC1200 (N450 + AC750)

C7: AC1750 (N450 + AC1300)

Generally AC1200 is the best-bang-for-buck as most consumer devices can only support up to AC1200 (2x2).

Unfortunately, the reviews for the C5 is quite bad. And since the C7 is cheaper than the C5, at least for your case, go for the C7 instead.

The C7 has great reviews and is (or at least was) the budget king if you want good-performing 5GHz AC WiFi.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

23 hours ago, Noyu said:

We also turn off its WiFi completely to avoid interference.

I'm thinking of keeping the WiFi on for the 2in1 for the time being, seeing as I only need to cover with ok signal the tv with neflix on the next room, and it's already able to do that.

23 hours ago, Noyu said:

The C7 has great reviews and is (or at least was) the budget king if you want good-performing 5GHz AC WiFi

Yeah I will buy that one, amazon says it would get here next monday, which gives me time to pre-wire the house, hopefully it will turn out to be good :)

On 20/11/2017 at 11:05 PM, Donut417 said:

Well there is your problem. I can tell you that my sister used to live in maybe a 1500 sq foot house. The Archer C7 covered it well, and the router was tucked in a corner. The issue is her house like many houses in the US was made out of wood and dry wall. Which are very WiFi friendly. Concrete not so friendly. 

I was going to say, "Oh, well this house is smaller so hopefully concrete won't be a problem", then I google maps measured the house area and damn, it's about 1500 square feet if you don't count second floor or garage... this freedom units really trick you, 1500 sq foot sounds larger than 130 sq meters... Anyway, fingers crossed it will be good enough nobody is mad at me for buying an expensive router(compared to the expected 0 networking cost they used to have)  and wiring to not have it work. On the bright side, if the coverage is faster than 2Mbps from a wired connection of about 60Mbps, we already get an improvement :)

2 minutes ago, ScoffMathews said:

Yeah I will buy that one, amazon says it would get here next monday, which gives me time to pre-wire the house, hopefully it will turn out to be good

If you do plan on leaving the WiFi on the 2in1 unit, make sure you setup the Archer C7 as access point only basically forfeiting its router capabilities. Router stuff will still be done by the 2in1. This is to avoid any issues on your internet later on.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |