People just need to READ reviews and not just look at the final score of two reviews done almost a decade apart

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172449

Just like people recommending the Seasonic M12II because it scored well 10 years ago.

This guy is arguing the HX1200 is a downgrade from the AX1200 because the AX1200 scored higher seven years before the HX1200 was reviewed.

maxresdefault.jpg

The odd thing is, you don't see people doing it for other tech products. It's obvious to everyone that looking at the review score of the Samsung S3 is no good, when you're comparing it a modern mid range phone. 

The tech community just knows less about the black box that's doing electricity stuff. 

:)

For those who don't feel like following the link and reading the thread:

OP:  "I have an AX 1200 PSU, which failed 1month ago. After RMA (via the shop i bought it) i recived a HX 1200. Why did my PSU get downgraded from the AX series to HX series?"

Me:  "If the PSU was an AX1200, then you certainly weren't downgraded. Yes... typically AX is better than HX, but if you're talking about a PSU that was made within 5 to 6 years apart, the HX is WAY better than the old AX's. The current AX series is Platinum. The old AX series, which the 1200W was part of, was only Gold and HX only Bronze. And that's not the only difference."

OP: "AX and AXi for the most part are considered about the same, with the main difference being Corsair Link and Plat vs Gold (some even think AX is higher quality than AXi, even ur site has a higher score on the old series). How can HX be a downgrade from AXi but an upgrade from AX, which is a minor downgrade from AXi."

Me: "No. It's not. You're wrong. The only similarity is that they're both built by Flex. Even those two PSUs are two years apart. AX1200i has almost nothing in common internally than the AX1200.

I always tell people you can't take a review from 5 to 10 years ago and make a direct comparison with one done within the same year because PSUs improve over the years and the scoring scale has to adjust for those improvements each year.

Just look at the raw data instead of the final score.

AX1200 regulation on the +12V saw a 0.08V drop in voltage going from 100% to 10%. HX1200 only dropped 0.06.

AX1200 ripple was 20~29mV of ripple on the +12V. HX1200 showed only 17mV at full load.

AX1200 has a Yate Loon DBB fan. HX1200 has a true FDB fan (Protechnic patented bearing licensed from Matsushita).

Why didn't HX1200 get a 10 for voltage regulation? Because it missed "mythic" voltage regulation levels... yet it was still better than AX1200. Why? Because "mythic" voltage regulation didn't exist in 2010.

AX1200 didn't get a 10 for functionality because there was no way to switch from single to multiple +12V rails. The HX has this feature. The HX1200 got a 9.5 because the caps in the cables made it hard to bend the cables.

HX1200 got a 10 for build quality. When the AX1200 was reviewed, build quality wasn't scored.

So if you think HX is a downgrade because you're looking at the final score between two reviews done seven years apart, you're not using your noggin. ;)"

36 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Just like people recommending the Seasonic M12II because it scored well 10 years ago.

This guy is arguing the HX1200 is a downgrade from the AX1200 because the AX1200 scored higher seven years before the HX1200 was reviewed.

I think you overestimate the intelligence in the electrical engineering department of PC building. :P For most people, the conclusion is what they skip straight to because they don't care about vreg and build quality to the level OklahomaWolf analyzes.

A lot of people just watch BitWit/LTT/etc. and they assume that they know all about building PCs since they've put them together with sponsored hardware, powered them up for a couple hours for benchmarks, then put the hardware away. It's why BitWit pairs an EVGA W1 with a 1080 Ti "Because it technically has enough power for a 1080 Ti."

Most people don't even understand why they're frying the VRMs on their B350 AM4 boards OCing their octacores to 4.0GHz, let alone why a modern Corsair CX is leaps and bounds better than a 7-year old PSU (M12) that was decent back in 2010, despite the price differences, Seasonic's "prestige," etc.

To be fair though, is the guy wrong for wanting a new AX over an HX considering he probably paid AX money for his old unit?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

People are just lazy and don't think about it.

And Believe is stronger than ever, now that less and less people have a real faith...

That's always the problem with people, even if they get something better and not a downgrade, if it is a "downgrade in class" as it is the case here, they will complain...

So if you do that, you should make a piece of paper that comes with the replaced unit and explain why he didn't got a downgrade.

But many people will still complain and be furious because it is a psychological downgrade because a AX1200W is, in their mind, above the HX1200.

BUT: There is a solution:
Make a special series of "AX1200plus" for RMA purpose.

Essentially a HX1200 in an AX1200 box with a AX1200 Badge...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Some people know a lot about psu and some know next to nothing.A person like me would be happy i got a free upgrade vs a older model which i had.Some one that don't know much would think they got shafted and got a downgrade.