What should I upgrade? Hey

ldmendes7

I’ve had my computer for about 1.5 years now and I’m thinking of upgrading some parts as Xmas I should coming.  My current components are:

• i5 6400
  • 8 gb 2800 MHz ram
  • gtx 960 2gb
  • msi z170a mobo 

I’m thinking of upgrading one of these: cpu - i7 7700k or gpu - gtx 1060 6gb or ram - 16gb. 

Which upgrade would you recommend for considering these games that I play:

• Counter-Strike:Global-Offensive
  • Cities Skylines
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Fortnight
  • Banished
  • Planet Coaster
  • BeamNG Drive

no update, save your money for in a year or so.

with what you have you should be able to play all your games on at least medium settings with decent performances, you'd better save that money to get higher tier stuff later on.

I would suggest upgrading your CPU Becuaee the managment games like planet, coaster and city skylines are CPU intensive. The other games are not graphically demanding. I would reccommend an i5 6600k not an i7 as it isn't necessary for gaming, and the i5 can be overclocked very well.

1 minute ago, Jregz said:

I would suggest upgrading your CPU Becuaee the managment games like planet, coaster and city skylines are CPU intensive. The other games are not graphically demanding. I would reccommend an i5 6600k not an i7 as it isn't necessary for gaming, and the i5 can be overclocked very well.

so from what you said he would go from i5 6400 to i5 6600k? that seems like throwing your money out the window to me.

2 minutes ago, Howitz said:

so from what you said he would go from i5 6400 to i5 6600k? that seems like throwing your money out the window to me.

I think he means a 7600k??

Just now, Jregz said:

That is a generalization, some CPU intensive games make use of hyper threading and parallel architectures. More and more parallelism is being built into code.

The GPU would give you the greatest gains out of the 3, but I would save for a 1070 due to the price surge on the 1060 6gb.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

2 minutes ago, ldmendes7 said:

I think he means a 7600k??

that would'nt be that much more of an improvement, on the other hand if he waits for say, black friday next year, the potential to get way more awesome stuff will be there plus with say 1/3 of trhe money he would save this year he could afford a new mobo.

1 minute ago, Howitz said:

that would'nt be that much of an improvement, on the other hand if he waits for say, black friday next year, the potential to get way more awesome stuff will be there plus with say 1/3 of trhe money he would save this year he could afford a new mobo.

Or Black Friday in 4 days

1 minute ago, ldmendes7 said:

Or Black Friday in 4 days

yeah or that, but tell me how are you game performances?

Just now, Howitz said:

yeah or that, but tell me how are you game performances?

To be honest they run fairly well, the less demanding ones like csgo run like butter however i have to lower the quality to medium on the games like cities skylines Andy planet coaster and can experience low FPS like 20-30. Also some games specifically cities skylines and especially siege like to crash

8 minutes ago, ldmendes7 said:

To be honest they run fairly well, the less demanding ones like csgo run like butter however i have to lower the quality to medium on the games like cities skylines Andy planet coaster and can experience low FPS like 20-30. Also some games specifically cities skylines and especially siege like to crash

ah ok i see, do you know what the crashes are related to? are your temperatures ok? could it be overheating? lack of ram?

anyway, if you still want to upgrade, you can go up to i7 7700k for the cpu, which is the best cpu u can fit on your mobo.

then for the gpu, well, sky is the limit, depends on your budget.

The thing you should do is see for each of your game and identify the bottleneck. sometimes they can both be, cpu and gpu, one slightly less than the other. in such case upgrading one or the other will not improve your performances. this is why you need to identify for each games, what each part of your hardware can do in term of perfs.

-moved to new builds and planning-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Howitz said:

ah ok i see, do you know what the crashes are related to? are your temperatures ok? could it be overheating?

anyway, if you still want to upgrade, you can go up to i7 7700k for the cpu, which is the best cpu u can fit on your mobo.

then for the gpu, well, sky is the limit, depends on your budget.

The thing you should do is see for each of your game and identify the bottleneck. sometimes they can both be, cpu and gpu, one slightly less than the other.

No idea at the moment why they crash sometimes. Temps are good. Also, would the management games like cities skylines really benefit from a better gpu?

2 hours ago, ldmendes7 said:

No idea at the moment why they crash sometimes. Temps are good. Also, would the management games like cities skylines really benefit from a better gpu?

i have no idea, that you should look elsewhere for the answer, go search for benchmarks, or try to find a way to monitor your hardware usage during plays.

as i said it is possible that say, your graphics card limits you to 30 fps but your cpu limits you to 34fps, in this case getting a titan pascal 1000$+ gpu would only get you up to 34 fps XD.