Upgrading MSI GL62 7RD Keyboard

ok, so recently my laptop's keyboard has been having some issues, and i might have to have a new keyboard. If this is the case, will I be able to jut put an LED keyboard into the laptop? Does it need a different cable for RGB? I have an MSI GL62 7RD.

Just looking at that laptop, changing the keyboard will be near impossible, unless you're replacing it with the exact same part.

You'd be lucky to find any other keyboards the right size and spacing to fit in it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Just looking at that laptop, changing the keyboard will be near impossible, unless you're replacing it with the exact same part.

You'd be lucky to find any other keyboards the right size and spacing to fit in it.

Ok, i just wandered because i have to get it replaced anyway, and wandered if RGB was possible. The GE62 uses the same layout of keyboard right? Just with RGB on it and no RGB on my GL.

1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

Ok, i just wandered because i have to get it replaced anyway, and wandered if RGB was possible. The GE62 uses the same layout of keyboard right? Just with RGB on it and no RGB on my GL.

I've got the G62 and underneath the Keyboard there is a second ribbon cable just for the RGB, so take yours off and see if you got space for two ribbon cables.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

I've got the G62 and underneath the Keyboard there is a second ribbon cable just for the RGB, so take yours off and see if you got space for two ribbon cables.

i took off the rear pannel but i couldnt find the keyboard connector. Is it under the Mobo?

2 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

i took off the rear pannel but i couldnt find the keyboard connector. Is it under the Mobo?

its underneath the keyboard, you have to remove the keyboard.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

its underneath the keyboard, you have to remove the keyboard.

Ok, I will ask when i get the keyboard fixed. Is it possible to put a bigger battery in also? I have seen that other laptops use a very similar size o battery by MSI and they look interchangeable

Just now, Joelsome said:

Ok, I will ask when i get the keyboard fixed. Is it possible to put a bigger battery in also? I have seen that other laptops use a very similar size o battery by MSI and they look interchangeable

That I don't know, Normally you don't mess with that as batteries are more than just mAh so honestly, I'd leave that alone, don't want under or overvolt your system.

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

Also how do you remove keyboard, do you have to remove the motherboard?

give it a youtube, IIRC you pull off a trim bit on the top and that shows the screws.

Redstone:

Obsidian:

Just now, Not_Sean said:

That I don't know, Normally you don't mess with that as batteries are more than just mAh so honestly, I'd leave that alone, don't want under or overvolt your system.

Ok, jjust thinking how to ermove some o the annoying things about this laptop, it woks brilliantly apart om this damn keyboard. deciding to go and malfunction

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

give it a youtube, IIRC you pull off a trim bit on the top and that shows the screws.

Ok, i thought that was adhesived lol!

3 hours ago, Joelsome said:

ok, so recently my laptop's keyboard has been having some issues, and i might have to have a new keyboard. If this is the case, will I be able to jut put an LED keyboard into the laptop? Does it need a different cable for RGB? I have an MSI GL62 7RD.

I would rather connect an external keyboard...

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128