Any places to save on this?

jaysangwan32

Hey guys,

Wanted to save a little on the build without sacrificing much performance. Primarily plan to game PUBG, OW, Siege, etc on 1440p144hz, as well as do moderate video editting in Premier. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Few things:

- I love the case, so I'm not really inclined to cut down on that (unless theres a glass-beast equivalent)

- I do plan to overclock (attempting to hit over 4.7 on the cpu)

- Not sure if I should downgrade GPU to a FTW3 1080ti (Non Elite)

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BHvLzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BHvLzM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($414.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.69 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($284.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.09 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 ELITE GAMING WHITE Video Card  ($854.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian-Li - PC-O8WX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($356.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($131.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.2 CFM  120mm Fans  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2970.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-20 15:45 EST-0500

You could also go for a really good air cooler, like a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3, which will shave off about 70 USD off your build or now start with 16GB of RAM and later add some more if you need it: which will save about 200 USD.

I could mention a smaller SSD, but 285 USD for a 1TB one is quite a good price..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

You could also go for a really good air cooler, like a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3, which will shave off about 70 USD off your build or now start with 16GB of RAM and later add some more if you need it: which will save about 200 USD.

I could mention a smaller SSD, but 285 USD for a 1TB one is quite a good price..

Mainly went with the kraken to complement the sleek case (I know its probably hard to save in the RGB 'color scheme'). I was considering 16GB RAM but I wasn't sure if that would bottleneck the 8700k, or if it would be sufficient for mild video editing. 

Just now, jaysangwan32 said:

Mainly went with the kraken to complement the sleek case (I know its probably hard to save in the RGB 'color scheme'). I was considering 16GB RAM but I wasn't sure if that would bottleneck the 8700k, or if it would be sufficient for mild video editing. 

It will be hard to say if 16GB is enough, since RAM is one of those things that if there is much of it available, much of it will be used. Unless you're doing some intense codec 4K editing, it will likely be fine.

Further edits in this build would, IMO, either just make a different PC or it will just be a "you can upgrade it later" thing.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, brob said:

@jaysangwan32

Good Black Friday sale on Crucial - MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive.

Also on the excellent SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W which has more than enough capacity for the build.

Will 650 be sufficient even if OCing? I want to try to hit 4.7+ on CPU if possible.

Also, does anyone know anything about this graphics card? I've seen a couple sources saying it has higher mem clock but a) not really sure if that matters and b) haven't found any big techtuber or forum cover it? Is it worth the extra $100?

4 minutes ago, jaysangwan32 said:

Will 650 be sufficient even if OCing? I want to try to hit 4.7+ on CPU if possible.

Also, does anyone know anything about this graphics card? I've seen a couple sources saying it has higher mem clock but a) not really sure if that matters and b) haven't found any big techtuber or forum cover it? Is it worth the extra $100?

Yes, 650W should be more than enough. Even for aggressive ocing.

EVGA FTW are top tier gpu. They use binned chips to allow for max performance. Is it worth the $? Only you can decide that.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

18 minutes ago, brob said:

Yes, 650W should be more than enough. Even for aggressive ocing.

EVGA FTW are top tier gpu. They use binned chips to allow for max performance. Is it worth the $? Only you can decide that.

I would be going with EVGA FTW3 either way. The linked card is the FTW3 'ELITE' card, $120 over the standard 1080ti FTW. Is this specific card worth the $120 over the standard FTW?

2 hours ago, jaysangwan32 said:

I would be going with EVGA FTW3 either way. The linked card is the FTW3 'ELITE' card, $120 over the standard 1080ti FTW. Is this specific card worth the $120 over the standard FTW?

As you noted the memory runs 1GHz faster on the 11G-P4-6797-K1/K2. Doesn't seem to be any other difference. From what I have read it should be possible to push 6796 memory to 12GHz. So it seems to me that the question is, is there more headroom in memory bandwidth?

As with most tech, once one gets to the bleeding edge, anything extra is far more expensive than the performance increment suggests. 

If one is trying to trim budget, the added memory speed doesn't seem enough to justify the premium.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.