PC cutting out because of overclock?

Nintson

MOTHERBOARD: Asus tuf z370-plus gaming

GPU: 1080TI Asus ROG Strix (non OC!)

CPU: Intel i5-8600k

RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair LPX 3000

PSU: Corsair Vengeance 650M

Hey guys,

I have recently built my first PC, however I noticed it randomly cutting out during gaming, then automatically restarting within 3 seconds. No error messages, no blue screen, simply turning off as if I would remove power (tho Motherboard and GPU LED stay on). After doing a lot of testing as it was kinda hard to replicate, I figured it was only happening with an overclock applied to the GPU. The settings were stable being tested within 3D Mark benchmarks, but it never turned off during benchmarks anyway. Most of the time it happens playing Destiny 2, loading into a new Map or during Crucible (PvP), as well as playing Hunter CotW.

So I tried multiple different low overclocks with MSI Afterburner at ~1900-1970 Mhz Core Clock, Power Limit 100-120% and Memory ~5508-5208 Mhz, all resulting in the PC randomly cutting out after a while of gaming. Temperatures are decent at max ~70 C°. Event-log obviously shows Kernel Power 41 but no other critical error.

Point is i'm not really worried about not overclocking to keep things stable, but I am worried if this could damage the hardware or that some components could be faulty.

Thank you very much for time and help!

Edit 1: Btw. without manual OC GPU-Boost 3 boosts core-clock to about 1885 Mhz. System never turned off because of this.

As well as comparing your system when not overclocked, try upping the CPU voltage (only one step at a time) very slightly and see if that helps stability.

24 minutes ago, Nintson said:

Thank you very much for time and help!

I don't think 3D Mark is an intensive enough stress test to ensure stability. I would try to use the Realbench stress test for example to test the whole system's stability (CPU + RAM + GPU). If you find yourself crashing using Realbench you either need to dial your overclock back or push a bit more voltage to stablize.

I dont think you need to worry about damaged hardware as long as you aren't overheating. I think the sudden shutdown may not be good for data integrety though, so I would recommend trying to stablize your system.

21 minutes ago, jeff.proto-_- said:

See what happens when you don't OC

Played for about a week with no overclock applied and no issue occurred.

18 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

As well as comparing your system when not overclocked, try upping the CPU voltage (only one step at a time) very slightly and see if that helps stability.

I'm not that familiar with CPU overclocking. Where can i do this? I did use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to automatically apply an overclock to my CPU. However the CPU has been overclocked since day 1 and I have not noticed any issues with that.

12 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I don't think 3D Mark is an intensive enough stress test to ensure stability. I would try to use the Realbench stress test for example to test the whole system's stability (CPU + RAM + GPU). If you find yourself crashing using Realbench you either need to dial your overclock back or push a bit more voltage to stablize.

I dont think you need to worry about damaged hardware as long as you aren't overheating. I think the sudden shutdown may not be good for data integrety though, so I would recommend trying to stablize your system.

Thanks i will try Realbench tomorrow and report back! I already tried some unprofessional stress testing of CPU, GPU and RAM at the same time resulting in no error.

Multiple Realbench stress tests result in not a single problem.