Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interested in Overclocking but also new to this Hardware

Hello there!

I recently got a new PC and for the last 15+ years all of my PCs were either pre-built (I know) or Frankensteins monsters that somehow just ran with a few tweaks.

I finally decided to upgrade from my previous best PC I built (ex. i7-3770 /  GTX 1050 TI 4g / 8g ram) to the PC I have now 

CPU - Intel Core i7 7820x 8-Core 16-Thread + Dark Rock Pro 3 Extreme CPU Cooler

Ram - 32GB DDR4 4x8GB

Motherboard - ASUS X299 TUF MARK 2

GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB HYBRID Water Edition

Memory - 256GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 Solid State Drive + 3TB Western Digital RED Hard Disk Drive

Case - Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass Edition, Black

Power Supply - EVGA SUPERNova 850w 80+ Gold Rated

OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Monitor - 2x ASUS Full HD 1080p 144Hz 1ms DP HDMI DVI Eye Care Gaming LED-Lit Monitor 27

I'm very interested in modding/video editing/streaming, and of course gaming. 

What I want to do is not exactly push my GPU/CPU to the limit but squeeze a little more out of them.

As someone who went from a PC with... basically throw away parts that I didn't care much about as long as they worked, to the PC I have now i'm (hopefully) understandably skeptical about overclocking.

I have done a few hours of research already but I just don't feel sold on it. Many of the videos (Linus YT, JayzTwo ETC) have used a lot of words I don't fully understand but also a lot I completely do.

It's a strange feeling. Using PCs only for so long and suddenly feeling like you have never touched one before.

Anyways before I get completely side tracked.

I'm aware of the degrading effect over time that overclocking can have and the main causes being voltage/heat.

But I believe that my PC has very good cooling (that's why I payed for it) (I think my exact words were "I want the best") (Then I was talked out of full water cooling because of the price tag, it's a long story)

I'm just not 100% sold on it, or comfortable.

Is it truly as simple as installing MSI, moving a slider, keeping an eye on the temps and doing a stress test?

I really appreciate any and all replies!

Cheers!

That mobo has had some VRM issues i would recommend any of the Gigabyte high end ones same with the Extreme Asus ones

Just now, Dreaper said:

That mobo has had some VRM issues i would recommend any of the Gigabyte high end ones same with the Extreme Asus ones

Motherboard was one of the things I knew next to nothing about when purchasing. The shop I went through recommended this one and I trusted them because building gaming rigs is all they do (smaller old school type store, not pretty on the eyes but quality over quantity kind of place.)

I believe I wanted a different one originally, but again i'm no expert (yet lol).

11 minutes ago, Innermore said:

Motherboard was one of the things I knew next to nothing about when purchasing. The shop I went through recommended this one and I trusted them because building gaming rigs is all they do (smaller old school type store, not pretty on the eyes but quality over quantity kind of place.)

I believe I wanted a different one originally, but again i'm no expert (yet lol).

Can you return it 

1 minute ago, Dreaper said:

Still VRM can cause issues 

What would you recommend for motherboard?

1 minute ago, Innermore said:

What would you recommend for motherboard?

Budget?

Just now, Dreaper said:

Budget?

Don't really have a limit, I believe this one was about 300, so 600'ish

5 minutes ago, Innermore said:

Yeah

This is the best one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1356680-REG/asus_rog_rampage_vi_extreme.html

for overclocking and the VRM issues but you dont have to spend that much. This is also fairly good some issues though https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pgDzK8/asus-rog-rampage-vi-apex-eatx-lga2066-motherboard-rog-rampage-vi-apex

And this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145013

41 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it!

Only thing I forgot to mention is my budget is in CDN, so 600$ on US sites is going close to 1000 here.

48 minutes ago, Innermore said:

Only thing I forgot to mention is my budget is in CDN, so 600$ on US sites is going close to 1000 here.

yup that would have helped

49 minutes ago, Innermore said:

Get one of the two bottom ones

1 hour ago, Dreaper said:

Get one of the two bottom ones

Yeah, my bad. I will look into those.

5 hours ago, Dreaper said:

Actually, you kind of got those backwards when you consider that you were focused on pointing out VRM issues.

The APEX is the better of the 2 boards (Extreme/Apex) with regards to VRM cooling.  The Apex also has 2 x 8 pin EPS compared to the 1 x 8 pin + 1 x 4 pin of the Extreme.  

Asus redesigned the heatsink on the VRM of the Apex specifically to address the concerns identified by Der8auer.  Knowing that the Apex was going to be used more commonly for extreme overclocking than the Extreme board, they knew this would be necessary. 

If you look in the ROG forums, there are some threads, in which Extreme owners are asking @Raja@ASUS if Asus will sell the new redesigned VRM heat sink separately as an upgrade for Extreme board owners should they chose.  

With all of this said, @Innermore, there is no need for you to upgrade your motherboard unless you identify that your 7820x pushing your VRM.  Most of the problems with cheaper x299 boards occurs with 10 core or higher CPUs when they are pushed hard in fairly unrealistic loads.  

Overclock what you have and go from there.  If you need to upgrade, consider doing so, but don't do anything before then.  

@TahoeDust runs the same chip as you and can definitely give you some pointers.

10 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Actually, you kind of got those backwards when you consider that you were focused on pointing out VRM issues.

The APEX is the better of the 2 boards (Extreme/Apex) with regards to VRM cooling.  The Apex also has 2 x 8 pin EPS compared to the 1 x 8 pin + 1 x 4 pin of the Extreme.  

Asus redesigned the heatsink on the VRM of the Apex specifically to address the concerns identified by Der8auer.  Knowing that the Apex was going to be used more commonly for extreme overclocking than the Extreme board, they knew this would be necessary. 

If you look in the ROG forums, there are some threads, in which Extreme owners are asking @Raja@ASUS if Asus will sell the new redesigned VRM heat sink separately as an upgrade for Extreme board owners should they chose.  

With all of this said, @Innermore, there is no need for you to upgrade your motherboard unless you identify that your 7820x pushing your VRM.  Most of the problems with cheaper x299 boards occurs with 10 core or higher CPUs when they are pushed hard in fairly unrealistic loads.  

Overclock what you have and go from there.  If you need to upgrade, consider doing so, but don't do anything before then.  

The Extreme is the one that got the new design :) thats the point of it being delayed 

11 hours ago, Dreaper said:

The Extreme is the one that got the new design

Definitely Apex got new heatsink for VRM as evidenced in this video:

Then again, when I compare both heatsinks from pictures, they don't look terribly different - the Extreme also has fins which was the main concern Der8auer had before ASUS changed it in Apex. So it is entirely possible that what they did to Apex they also introduced to Extreme - but then again, why would people want to buy the heatsink extra if that was the case? Dunno, would need someone with both boards to do some checking.

Gamers Nexus did a colaboration with Kyle from Bitwit and his Extreme had some problems with VRM temps afair. 

What is definitely true though is that, as @done12many2 said, of the two boards the Apex is the one for extreme overclocking. These were words directly from ASUS when people asked them what is actually the difference. Extreme - showcase, Apex - extreme OC. But in the context of OP' CPU it shouldn't matter. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

On 11/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, done12many2 said:

I appreciate that info! I will keep an eye on it.