Can a graphics card kill a motherboard??

ashu1106

I installed a zotac gtx 1050 ti oc on my 8 year old Asus p5g41tmlx3 motherboard. And a week later motherboard died. None of the rear  ports are working. CPU and GPU fans are spinning but nothing on screen. Complete black.  Is it because of my graphics card or something else.

Asking because I'm getting a new system and want to make sure my graphics card is perfect and it won't kill my new system. 

Just now, frozeNNN said:

If CPU fan is spinning then your motherboard is probably working.

But no bios splash screen and no power to mouse and keyboard. I even tried charging my phone from mobo's rear USB. But no power. 

Just now, ashu1106 said:

But no bios splash screen and no power to mouse and keyboard. I even tried charging my phone from mobo's rear USB. But no power. 

Try running your monitor off the iGPU if you have it.

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Try running your monitor off the iGPU if you have it.

I tried. Same result

What power supply? 

If it's quite a bad quality one, the extra power draw from the Gpu could have blown something in the psu, and taken the motherboard with it. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

If CPU fan is spinning then your motherboard is probably working.

no thats just means the cpu fan has electricity. has nothing to do with the motherboard working.

9 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

What power supply? 

If it's quite a bad quality one, the extra power draw from the Gpu could have blown something in the psu, and taken the motherboard with it. 

Yeah it's a  generic Chinese 450 w PSU, which I have been using for last 8 years. But PSU fan is also spinning. 

10 minutes ago, ashu1106 said:

Yeah it's a  generic Chinese 450 w PSU, which I have been using for last 8 years. But PSU fan is also spinning. 

That would do it. NEVER cheap out on the PSU. If you are going to cheap out on something, don't cheap out on the PSU.

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!

8 hours ago, ashu1106 said:

450w add dust over 8 years and than start pulling 350w on graphics card alone... could have something to do with it.  Nice 650w supply would be safe, assuming it did take anything with it on it's last ride to Valhalla.