Worst time to upgrade PC

It is the worst time to upgrade PC hardware. I was looking to upgrade my system (i3-6100, gtx 960 2gb, 16gb of ram). The shortage of i5-6400 is outrageous, Intel want to be competitive with Ryzen 1600 (to expensive to replace my motherboard for ryzen, plus there is a lack of good m-atx mobos for AM4)  yet there has been a shortage of this CPU as well with the K variant  ever since it launched. The Gpu market prices have skyrocketed, at any price range . Now a 1070 costs as much a 980 would, the 960 was equivalent in price with the 1050. Amd gpus are all not in stock. Ram prices have gone off the roof, thank god i got an extra stick of ram 7 moths ago when prices were normal. Everything has gone up in price. 

I wanted to upgrade my hardware but now i am finding difficult to do so with the limited availability and the inflation of prices. My friend is looking to get his first PC and he asked me if he could build one for around 500 euros, what u could build with 500 few years ago in comparison with now is ridiculous. I honestly think now the new xbox is a better deal if you just want to chill and play at descent frame rate, resolution and settings. PCMR is letting the mid range down in my opinion

P.S - I know this sounds like a rant but tell me what you think of this situation. 

Hold out if you can wait, buy the stuff if you can't, simple as that.

5 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Hold out if you can wait, buy the stuff if you can't, simple as that.

4 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Why don't you update you BIOS and upgrade to 7th gen CPU?

The problem is there is no availability of hardware when it comes to 8th gen CPUs. And with regards to 7th gen if i wanted to upgrade to 7th i would have done it last year, Plus 8th gen i5 is 6 core. It just feels like rip off in my opinion PC gaming was the value option that could range all the way to enthusiast, now however it feels like there is a lack for the mid range market 

12 minutes ago, MikeKyr23 said:

The problem is there is no availability of hardware when it comes to 8th gen CPUs. And with regards to 7th gen if i wanted to upgrade to 7th i would have done it last year, Plus 8th gen i5 is 6 core. It just feels like rip off in my opinion PC gaming was the value option that could range all the way to enthusiast, now however it feels like there is a lack for the mid range market 

Why do you complain about i5 6400 shortage?

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Why do you complain about i5 6400 shortage?

i5-8400 is in shortage and it came out in Q1 2017. i5-6400 is not in shortage and it is two years old

Just now, MikeKyr23 said:

i5-8400 is in shortage and it came out in Q1 2017. i5-6400 is not in shortage and it is two years old

1. 8400 came out in Q4 of 2017

2. ?

The shortage of i5-6400 is outrageous, Intel want to be competitive with Ryzen 1600

Just now, frozeNNN said:

1. 8400 came out in Q4 of 2017

2. ?

Yeah Q4 sorry, but what is your initial point  

Just now, MikeKyr23 said:

Yeah Q4 sorry, but what is your initial point  

The shortage of i5-6400 is outrageous, Intel want to be competitive with Ryzen 1600

Explain this

8 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Explain this

As we mentioned Intel released a six core cpu (i5-8400) in In the 4th quarter of 2017, as a response to the Ryzen 5 1600 which is also a six core, but they (intel) arent even able to provide a steady supply of the i5 series. Now the market is on intels side is full of i3 and i7, lacking the mid-range product i5. 

1 minute ago, MikeKyr23 said:

As we mentioned Intel released a six core cpu (i5-8400) in In the 4th quarter of 2017, as a response to the Ryzen 5 1600 which is also a six core, but they (intel) arent even able to provide a steady supply of the i5 series. Now the market is on intels side is full of i3 and i7, lacking the mid-range product i5. 

6400 is quad core

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

6400 is quad core

Sorry man i am tired and frustrated i meant i5-8400, which is the latest i didn't mean any the 6th gen i5  

....Used markets? Why rant about what stores have when you have used markets to wonder on. If in there those are having price issues too, then this would be worst time for upgrade. But imo GPU markets are already getting better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/20/2017 at 9:15 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

....Used markets? Why rant about what stores have when you have used markets to wonder on. If in there those are having price issues too, then this would be worst time for upgrade. But imo GPU markets are already getting better.

used market here in poland is not so good. Plus used market does not have the latest hardware. Anyways I think i will just wait it out for the time being, hoping around summer prices will be better