Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Make device in VLAN accessible in entire LAN?

Santipro

Go to solution Solved by Just.Oblivious,
34 minutes ago, Santipro said:

Well yes it seems as if I was misinformed about that. I drew some sort of overview, maybe it might help.

Setup.png

Yeah, that's a router behind router or "double NAT" setup. That's not what you want.

Best is to configure the second router as a wireless access point. This puts all devices in the same network, with the second "router" in place to handle switching and wireless.

I have a VLAN (192.168.1.x) for all my personal devices at home. Among these though, there is a NAS which I want to make accessible for my entire families home LAN (192.168.0.x). But I don't want to have to disconnect it from my VLAN router as it would lower my transfer speeds from 1GBps to 100Mbps.

Is there a way to open up some sort of bridge between the main LAN and the NAS in my VLAN?

I've tried port forwarding the device and accessing it via 192.168.1.x:xxxx but still it wont respond. Does anybody know how to get this to work?

OS: Windows 10 Pro | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110 | Mainboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: 2x 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @3600MHz | GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 iChill X4 Air Boss Ultra | Main SSD: 1TB Corsair MP600 NVME | SSD1: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | SSD2: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | HDD1: WD Green 1000GB | HDD2: WD Green 2TB | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Keyboard: Logitech G513 | Headset: Logitech G933 | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG248Q & LG 29UM65-P

What you're describing are subnets, not VLANs.

It appears as if you're running some kind of a router-behind-router setup, but I could be wrong about that.

Can you give a little more detail about your network setup? A diagram would be nice.

Yeah, those are two different networks not VLANs. You could install a network card and assign it an address with your families network plug a corresponding cable in and tell the NAS to share over that network.

Wait...NAS prebuild or a tower? You'll need a NAS with expansion slots for my idea to be an option.

Well yes it seems as if I was misinformed about that. I drew some sort of overview, maybe it might help.

27 minutes ago, Just.Oblivious said:

What you're describing are subnets, not VLANs.

It appears as if you're running some kind of a router-behind-router setup, but I could be wrong about that.

Can you give a little more detail about your network setup? A diagram would be nice.

Setup.png

OS: Windows 10 Pro | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110 | Mainboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: 2x 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @3600MHz | GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 iChill X4 Air Boss Ultra | Main SSD: 1TB Corsair MP600 NVME | SSD1: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD | SSD2: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | HDD1: WD Green 1000GB | HDD2: WD Green 2TB | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Keyboard: Logitech G513 | Headset: Logitech G933 | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG248Q & LG 29UM65-P

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yeah, those are two different networks not VLANs. You could install a network card and assign it an address with your families network plug a corresponding cable in and tell the NAS to share over that network.

Wait...NAS prebuild or a tower? You'll need a NAS with expansion slots for my idea to be an option.

Yeah, I've thought of that but I have a prebuilt Synology NAS.

34 minutes ago, Santipro said:

Setup.png

Yeah, that's a router behind router or "double NAT" setup. That's not what you want.

Best is to configure the second router as a wireless access point. This puts all devices in the same network, with the second "router" in place to handle switching and wireless.

49 minutes ago, Just.Oblivious said:

Will do, thanks!

Do note that you probably need to change the IP address of your NAS since this one is configured static, so it would need to be in the 192.168.0.0/24 range now.