Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should a mobo have fans spinning without a cpu?

Hi, I was wondering if the fans on a pc are supposed to spin without the cpu. I have an asrock x99 extreme 4, I am waiting for a cpu to come in. 

so far...

I tried jumping the  power connector-nothing

I’ve jumped the 24 pin green and black- The fans started spinning, does that mean the mobo is fine? 

Thank you so much for taking a look. 

FE1AC705-8DD3-4C7C-A3FC-906BBC1220F7.jpeg

So you said you jumped the two power leads on the mobo with the 24pin connected? If they would have turned on then I would think it’s fine. But if you took out the 24pin then the mobo shouldn’t be getting any power.

I have a similar x99 motherboard from asrock, you don't need the molex cable in the middle of the board, and yes I would assume the board is fine, I would also work on that cable management. Your motherboard is probably fine but I have to ask why buy the x99 platform when there is something newer? did you get it used?

8 minutes ago, Judd said:

So you said you jumped the two power leads on the mobo with the 24pin connected? If they would have turned on then I would think it’s fine. But if you took out the 24pin then the mobo shouldn’t be getting any power.

Hi Jude,

I did it to check the psu incidentely the chassis fan1 turned on, probably got partial power because of the 8pin 12v. Thank you so much, that is quite comforting. 

8 minutes ago, NotTristan said:

I have a similar x99 motherboard from asrock, you don't need the molex cable in the middle of the board, and yes I would assume the board is fine, I would also work on that cable management. Your motherboard is probably fine but I have to ask why buy the x99 platform when there is something newer? did you get it used?

Hi Tristan, 

thank you for your quick response and for your words of wisdom. I bought this board dirt cheap on eBay, the build is for my nephew for Christmass, I didn’t wanna go too far.I hope everything works out mostly because i wanna deliver it by the due date. I should get the cpu in a few days and have it properly tested, again thank you. 

5 hours ago, The- said:

Hi Tristan, 

thank you for your quick response and for your words of wisdom. I bought this board dirt cheap on eBay, the build is for my nephew for Christmass, I didn’t wanna go too far.I hope everything works out mostly because i wanna deliver it by the due date. I should get the cpu in a few days and have it properly tested, again thank you. 

Wow that's really cool of you. More power too you! Yes your motherboard is probably fine. Good luck and I'm sure your nephew is going to love it.