F.E.A.R Poor FPS (Modern rig)

Mattaeus
Go to solution Solved by Mattaeus,

UPDATE:

It seems the fix i posted above only delayed the problem and after about 5 minutes my FPS kept dropping to between 10-20fps. I however did some additional research and found out its due to Logitech components (As Maxbunny stated previously). The link I found is listed below:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/789-directinput-fps-fix/

After applying the fix I am getting a constant 60fps (4K DSR) even after almost 2 hours of game play. Just thought I would post an update if anyone else wanted to replay this classic with modern hardware and experienced a similar problem.

Greetings all,

My rig is listed under my profile signature. I am attempting to run FEAR 1 at the highest possible settings with 4K DSR (1080P 144hz screen) however I am getting 40-50fps in the test sequence but in game and in cut scenes its horrifically low 18-20fps. You would expect on a modern rig it would blow through this game especially on a 1080 GTX TI. The only two settings I am don't have enabled are Pixel doubling and a option to force Direct X 8 shaders. Would this boil down to a optimization issue between my hardware and the games code? Or is FEAR 1 just that demanding? I don't expect a resolution to this but I am genuinely curious as to why this is occurring. I am trying to get the MSI Afterburner ingame overlay to function to see CPU and GPU usage to get a better understanding as to what could be causing the problem. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

F.E.A.R 1 isn't particularly demanding, certainly not on current hardware. I was able to max the 1080p settings (albeit without 4K DSR) on my old GTX 580.

I'd try it without 4K DSR and see if that improves performance.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

I had a similar issue. 

It wS running fine. then a month later it was running 4-20 FPS. 

i5 3450

12 gb ddr3

gtx 1050ti

plenty psu. 

38 minutes ago, CromaT said:

Would this boil down to a optimization issue between my hardware and the games code? Or is FEAR 1 just that demanding? I don't expect a resolution to this but I am genuinely curious as to why this is occurring

FEAR 1 has a problem with certain peripheral devices like Logitech mice. Some device controller thing needs to be disabled for some users or the game will drag. It has nothing to do with any of the other hardware, just input devices/controller drivers. No idea if anyone made a list of affected hardware.

I have performed some additional tests after running the MSI afterburner overlay tool during gameplay seeing general frame inconsistences etc, usage is flying all over the place. Even when switching to 1080P the issue persists. I remembered a wrapper called WINE3D (Link below)

https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

This seems to have actually fixed the problem! I am seeing a constant 60fps at 4K DSR. Will need to perform some more tests but everything seems to be checking out for the moment.

UPDATE:

It seems the fix i posted above only delayed the problem and after about 5 minutes my FPS kept dropping to between 10-20fps. I however did some additional research and found out its due to Logitech components (As Maxbunny stated previously). The link I found is listed below:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/789-directinput-fps-fix/

After applying the fix I am getting a constant 60fps (4K DSR) even after almost 2 hours of game play. Just thought I would post an update if anyone else wanted to replay this classic with modern hardware and experienced a similar problem.