Adaptive Sync Vs G-sync + help picking monitor

MetalGravity

Hej I know this has been posted before, but I didn't understand the answer, so I hope someone can dump it down for me.

This week I'm receiving a beast of a PC from my boss for work from home. 

I'm getting a i8-8600k, 1080 gtx, Samsung 960 m.2 machine. 

Bit I'll need to buy a new monitor, that I'll pay for myself.

So here money is a bit of an issue, but I want something great for both casual gaming and productive work (lectures, ligher/mid level video/photo/sound work), So I want a IPS panel with 144 HZ, and 4ms, but I'm willing to go down to a VA panel, if the price is right. 

Well so I've looked slot on YouTube in order to find a great monitor. 

The list is from least to most likely to buy

Viewsonic XG2703-gs 

Asus rog swift pq279q

acer predator xb271hu

But then I was just down at my local hardware store and found a possible great deal!

AOC Agon AG271QG - and VA panel with G-sync and at around 200-400$ lower price point then the others. 

But they also had this: 

AOC Agon AG322 QCX an 32" curved VA panel at 30$ less then the AOC Agon AG271QG BUT this doesn't support G-sync but instead uses something called Adaptive Sync, which I guess is the same as Adaptive V-sync...

But what is Adaptive V-sync? And how does it stand up in contrast to G-sync + what real world applications will it have for my setup and gaming experience? 

+

What monitor would you choose for my hardware and why?

11 minutes ago, XshulderX said:

Hej I know this has been posted before, but I didn't understand the answer, so I hope someone can dump it down for me.

This week I'm receiving a beast of a PC from my boss for work from home. 

I'm getting a i8-8600k, 1080 gtx, Samsung 960 m.2 machine. 

Bit I'll need to buy a new monitor, that I'll pay for myself.

So here money is a bit of an issue, but I want something great for both casual gaming and productive work (lectures, ligher/mid level video/photo/sound work), So I want a IPS panel with 144 HZ, and 4ms, but I'm willing to go down to a VA panel, if the price is right. 

Well so I've looked slot on YouTube in order to find a great monitor. 

The list is from least to most likely to buy

Viewsonic XG2703-gs 

Asus rog swift pq279q

acer predator xb271hu

But then I was just down at my local hardware store and found a possible great deal!

AOC Agon AG271QG - and VA panel with G-sync and at around 200-400$ lower price point then the others. 

But they also had this: 

AOC Agon AG322 QCX an 32" curved VA panel at 30$ less then the AOC Agon AG271QG BUT this doesn't support G-sync but instead uses something called Adaptive Sync, which I guess is the same as Adaptive V-sync...

But what is Adaptive V-sync? And how does it stand up in contrast to G-sync + what real world applications will it have for my setup and gaming experience? 

+

What monitor would you choose for my hardware and why?

Adaptive Sync is not the same as Adaptive V-Sync. Adaptive V-Sync is just V-Sync that turns off when your framerate is lower than your monitor's refresh rate.

Adaptive Sync is G-Sync for AMD graphics cards (known as AMD FreeSync).

14 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Adaptive Sync is G-Sync for AMD graphics cards (known as AMD FreeSync).

@XshulderX More specifically. "Adaptive Sync" is the shorthand term for "Adaptive Refresh Rate" technologies such as G-sync and Freesync. G-sync and Freesync are just Nvidia's and AMD's versions of Adaptive Sync.

I have the acer predator xb271hu and it's a great monitor, when playing above 100Hz, the G-sync does a perfect job of getting rid of tearing. Since you have a Nvidia Card, it would make sense to get a g-sync monitor. It's an TN panel but colours are not that bad to be honest.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

7 hours ago, blu4 said:

I have the acer predator xb271hu and it's a great monitor, when playing above 100Hz, the G-sync does a perfect job of getting rid of tearing. Since you have a Nvidia Card, it would make sense to get a g-sync monitor. It's an TN panel but colours are not that bad to be honest.

I would get it in the ips model

7 hours ago, Zyndo said:

@XshulderX More specifically. "Adaptive Sync" is the shorthand term for "Adaptive Refresh Rate" technologies such as G-sync and Freesync. G-sync and Freesync are just Nvidia's and AMD's versions of Adaptive Sync.

So if it only says Adaptive Sync, then one can't know if it's G- or free Sync?

2 hours ago, XshulderX said:

So if it only says Adaptive Sync, then one can't know if it's G- or free Sync?

Adaptive Sync means FreeSync, it isn't a generic term for G-Sync/FreeSync, it refers to the VESA Adaptive Sync protocol which is part of DisplayPort, this is the protocol FreeSync uses to work over DisplayPort. G-Sync does not use the Adaptive-Sync protocol, they use a custom protocol of their own, since G-Sync eas created before VESA Adaptive-Sync was added to the DisplayPort standard.

19 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Adaptive Sync means FreeSync, it isn't a generic term for G-Sync/FreeSync, it refers to the VESA Adaptive Sync protocol which is part of DisplayPort, this is the protocol FreeSync uses to work over DisplayPort. G-Sync does not use the Adaptive-Sync protocol, they use a custom protocol of their own, since G-Sync eas created before VESA Adaptive-Sync was added to the DisplayPort standard.

Thank you so much for that clarification

2 minutes ago, XshulderX said:

Thank you so much for that clarification

yeah turns out I was wrong on the matter. my apologies for the misinformation.