Which of the two laptops?

Hello, I have been looking for laptops for a long time and have narrowed my options down to the following two: 

1. MSI GE63VR Raider-075

2. ASUS ROG Strix G-SYNC 120 Hz

Both laptops are 120hz with a gtx 1070. Personally, I much prefer the how the MSI one looks and have become very attached to the looks of the nice steelseries keyboard. The Asus, however, has a g-sync panel on top of the 120hz. Is this a big deal? I play a lot of competitive FPS games but also would like to play other games like Witcher 3, MGS, etc. Basically, it comes down to keyboard/looks vs g-sync for me. Which would you pick?

3 hours ago, Memestar170 said:

Hello, I have been looking for laptops for a long time and have narrowed my options down to the following two: 

1. MSI GE63VR Raider-075

2. ASUS ROG Strix G-SYNC 120 Hz

Both laptops are 120hz with a gtx 1070. Personally, I much prefer the how the MSI one looks and have become very attached to the looks of the nice steelseries keyboard. The Asus, however, has a g-sync panel on top of the 120hz. Is this a big deal? I play a lot of competitive FPS games but also would like to play other games like Witcher 3, MGS, etc. Basically, it comes down to keyboard/looks vs g-sync for me. Which would you pick?

if you want to play competitive FPS dont get Gsync

The ASUS seems like a solid option @Memestar170

More RAM, G-Sync, better build quality (Generally ASUS is more sturdy then MSI) and cheaper.

You can turn G-Sync off if you start playing CS:GO/Overwatch/etc, and turn it on for other games Bioshock/GTA V/etc

What it does lack is the gamer look, no RGB keyboard.

While the SSD's could differ in speed, even if you find which ones they use.

I noticed that OEM's switch which types/speeds they use, sometimes depending on the region.

So if someone says it contains an Samsung EVO or something, you might end up with a Crucial.

TL;DR

ASUS Seems to be a solid option.

For some it lacks the all out gamery look, but not everyone needs that or can miss it.

Me personally, I'd go for the ASUS.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

That Asus model is almost garbage, runs hot, loud and throttle, The GE Raider is better. Would you mind other options?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

That Asus model is almost garbage, runs hot, loud and throttle, The GE Raider is better. Would you mind other options?

Sure. What else did you have in mind?

Tbh Its about personal preference. For me I would choose Asus, as I believe they are sturdier and last much longer. In this particular model I believe thermals might an issue on ASUS.

7 hours ago, Memestar170 said:

Sure. What else did you have in mind?

What are your requirements besides nice keyboard, a GTX 1070 and 120Hz display?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

56 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

What are your requirements besides nice keyboard, a GTX 1070 and 120Hz display?

My preference is 15.6" and a small/well-built laptops with a more minimalist design but I'll be willing to consider other stuff

MSI keys are painted on. They come off after some use. Don't know about the Asus.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Raider. 

For the sole reason that it has a significantly better cooling solution. Repaste and add thermal pads to further increase efficiency.

The 502VS has a nice display and is decently built (not spectacular but decent) but its cooling solution is overwhelmed by the 1070. You won't experience much throttling in games but the GPU will struggle to maintain boost clocks. By comparison, the Raider is able to keep up nicely behind the G752, which is one of the benchmark examples for laptops with a 1070.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, Memestar170 said:

My preference is 15.6" and a small/well-built laptops with a more minimalist design but I'll be willing to consider other stuff

IMO, 1070 in a small chassis isn't a good idea as the GPU runs quite hot and outputs quite lot of heat, however the GE Raider is still a good option, just need some tweaking

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

21 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Mhh weird, tested this model myself once and it had no issue's? (Friend of mine has it)

I did have some terrible luck with MSI laptops, my last one a MSI GP70 2OD overheated and randomly shut down even when idling.

If you use google translate on this Dutch review (not by me, but my problem was pretty much the same) you'll see why if you want something to work for sure, maybe do not take MSI. Interesting sidenote, I never got a replacement from MSI. The store had to refund me by activating my accidental damage service, since MSI's normal warranty didn't seem to be good enough. What they ended up doing is take a mug of coffee & 1KG of sugar, and just soak the thing. It still worked after 1 bath, 2nd time it died.

Only problem was that I needed to get another MSI product, that is where I got my (still not working fully) GTX980's. Still  having issue's with these, and the store went out of business.

This review (and others) seem to indicate it does run quite hot, but 86C° is decent for a powerful laptop by my book.

I have a Clevo N150RD with a GTX960M and it runs at 70C° max, CPU & GPU do have 2 separate heatpipes (2 per chip) & 2 fans on the left & right at the back.

It does weigh a ton!

My opinion, chase specifications in this case.

Most gaming laptops are louder & hotter then lower end laptops & gaming PC's.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

58 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Mhh weird, tested this model myself once and it had no issue's? (Friend of mine has it)

I did have some terrible luck with MSI laptops, my last one a MSI GP70 2OD overheated and randomly shut down even when idling.

If you use google translate on this Dutch review (not by me, but my problem was pretty much the same) you'll see why if you want something to work for sure, maybe do not take MSI. Interesting sidenote, I never got a replacement from MSI. The store had to refund me by activating my accidental damage service, since MSI's normal warranty didn't seem to be good enough. What they ended up doing is take a mug of coffee & 1KG of sugar, and just soak the thing. It still worked after 1 bath, 2nd time it died.

Only problem was that I needed to get another MSI product, that is where I got my (still not working fully) GTX980's. Still  having issue's with these, and the store went out of business.

This review (and others) seem to indicate it does run quite hot, but 86C° is decent for a powerful laptop by my book.

I have a Clevo N150RD with a GTX960M and it runs at 70C° max, CPU & GPU do have 2 separate heatpipes (2 per chip) & 2 fans on the left & right at the back.

It does weigh a ton!

My opinion, chase specifications in this case.

Most gaming laptops are louder & hotter then lower end laptops & gaming PC's.

The MSI GL and GP series are not well-made, really. The only ones I'd recommend at the GE, GS and especially the GT line.

ASUS does make some good gaming laptops. I like my GL502VM. Issue is that unless you undervolt and repaste, the VS does run pretty warm to the point where the 1070 isn't able to maintain turbo.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

53 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The MSI GL and GP series are not well-made, really. The only ones I'd recommend at the GE, GS and especially the GT line.

ASUS does make some good gaming laptops. I like my GL502VM. Issue is that unless you undervolt and repaste, the VS does run pretty warm to the point where the 1070 isn't able to maintain turbo.

I noticed that MSI had some decent laptops, but indeed I can vouch for the GP line being complete & utter garbage.

If they would have obeyed their warranty it'd make it easier to forgive & forget. but they persisted in being First Class A*sholes.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*