Budget 1440p monitor for gaming

SecretX
2 minutes ago, SecretX said:

What is your PC set up budget and location?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What is your PC set up budget and location?

Let's just assume US and a i5 8400 with a GTX 1070. Budget for monitor is less than $250 and I don't play fast paced games very often.

3 minutes ago, SecretX said:

Let's just assume US and a i5 8400 with a GTX 1070. Budget for monitor is less than $250 and I don't play fast paced games very often.

For $270 you can get this ultrawide.  It is a 34" LG gaming ultrawide with a res of 2560x1080 and its refresh rate is 75Hz.  It also has Type-C connectivity and an IPS panel.

If not, then there is a 29" version here

5 minutes ago, SecretX said:

Hang on. Are you building a new PC and buying a monitor with it?

If so what is the total budget and location?

If you don't play games much you should go a totally different route.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Hang on. Are you building a new PC and buying a monitor with it?

If so what is the total budget and location?

If you don't play games much you should go a totally different route.

Yes, I'm building a new pc to play and stream Runescape, DBD, etc. To play games will be my most time consuming activities in front of my pc.

Just now, SecretX said:

Yes, I'm building a new pc to play and stream Runescape, DBD, etc. To play games will be my most time consuming activities in front of my pc.

So then what's the total budget for the PC and the location you're buying parts from the US?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So then what's the total budget for the PC and the location you're buying parts from the US?

More or less that https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RTYkFd

I can just buy online so... I'll change processor, mobo and gpu later on.

4 minutes ago, SecretX said:

Then I would suggest just invest more into your display and getting a 4k IPS display so you never need to replace it

And then you'd be running games at 1080p which will scale perfectly to the display until true 4k cards are more affordable next year in Navi/X. The display is also free-sync.

also you didn't have a case I assume that was intentional though, that motherboard comes with Ass creed origins for free currently.

a 580/1060 will do 1440p pretty well just not at max settings if you don't want a better display for some reason, no need for a 1080, a 1070 ti is the most you'd need for 1440p AAA games at High-Ultra.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4q7QtJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4q7QtJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($82.33 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($254.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: LG - 27UD68-P 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($396.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1366.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-19 23:20 EST-0500

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Then I would suggest just invest more into your display and getting a 4k IPS display so you never need to replace it

And then you'd be running games at 1080p which will scale perfectly to the display until true 4k cards are more affordable next year in Navi/X. The display is also free-sync.

also you didn't have a case I assume that was intentional though, that motherboard comes with Ass creed origins for free currently.

a 580/1060 will do 1440p pretty well just not at max settings if you don't want a better display for some reason, no need for a 1080, a 1070 ti is the most you'd need for 1440p AAA games at High-Ultra.

I want some more future proof, so that's why 1080. I'm not interested at drop card a 1080 for a 1060 to get a 4k display.

10 hours ago, Vandorlot said:

But what is the difference between these monitors? Gamma, contrast ratio, ghosting, input lag? That's what I want to know (to help me choose between one of these monitors.

10 hours ago, lilbman said:

For $270 you can get this ultrawide.  It is a 34" LG gaming ultrawide with a res of 2560x1080 and its refresh rate is 75Hz.  It also has Type-C connectivity and an IPS panel.

If not, then there is a 29" version here

I'm not very into other aspect ratio than 16:9 because stream and stuff. 27" seems to be the highest size of monitor that I can use to game at.

2 hours ago, SecretX said:

I want some more future proof, so that's why 1080. I'm not interested at drop card a 1080 for a 1060 to get a 4k display

You understand that displays are actually future proof and GPUs are not? You're going to have the display for years, and it will be better for daily use. It's probably the most important thing in any set up.

Are you actually going to notice the difference between 1440p medium-high settings and high-ultra with the 1080 for twice the price? Wouldn't it be better to invest more in your display now and have the option of gaming at 4k fairly well when the next gen GPUs drop? Instead of an X2 increase in pixels you'd be getting an X4 increase.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Are you actually going to notice the difference between 1440p medium-high settings and high-ultra with the 1080 for twice the price? Wouldn't it be better to invest more in your display now and have the option of gaming at 4k fairly well when the next gen GPUs drop? Instead of an X2 increase in pixels you'd be getting an X4 increase.

I don't know. Another reason for me to be interested in 1440p rather than 4k is the physical size of things on the screen, I went on to search some Runescape forums for the resolution that people played, the graphics quality, and the size (inches) of the monitor, and found that in addition to the native resolution of it being 1440p (developers play in 2.5k and textures are made in this resolution), there is also the problem of the actual size of things on the screen, because of the high PPI of 4k monitors it is necessary to increase GUI scale (I do not think it's even possible to do in Runescape) and I do not really like monitors larger than 27", preferably not larger than 24".

Probably as 4k monitors become more popular and new, more powerful video cards emerge, developers will adapt their games to 4k monitors, thus eliminating the GUI issue, but it's not something I want to have to wait to happen in case I opt for a "small" monitor for 4k such as 24 "and also do not want to get a monitor with 29" or more, I want to be able to stream, play and whatever at the moment I install the game, OBS and drivers, and don't have to mess a lot with Windows Scale and such (non optimized) niche configs.

Furthermore my actual monitor is 1360x768 so even 1080p would be a great jump for me (about x2 pixels), and I don't change monitors very often.

47 minutes ago, SecretX said:

If UI scaling becomes an issue you can simply run at 1080p when needed, and have 4k as your primary resolution when it's not an issue.

Spoiler