Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the difference between these 2 sets of memory

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231886  (Says it's compatible)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232087&ignorebbr=1     (No Idea)

What's the difference between these two sets of ram? I am trying to choose memory for my new PC that has an ASRock AB350 Pro 4. I don't want to take any chances with the memory not working. The two sets look very similar but only one of them is on the memory qvl list. Are they basically the same or different?

Speed. One is 2400 and the other 2800.

One also appear to be a dual channel kit vs a single stick.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

Speed. One is 2400 and the other 2800.

I know that, but would the one that's not on the qvl list work?

2 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

From the reviews:

I used this memory in a computer with the R5 1600 CPU and the Strix B350 motherboard (with the current BIOS 0805)

So the answer is maybe. It'll be a YMMV type thing unless someone with your exact same circumstances comes in here and says yes.

1 minute ago, c00lFD said:

You need to be very careful when choosing something not on QVL. While there have been substantial improvements in memory compatibility with bios releases, it's still hit-or-miss when choosing something at random. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean the internal chips will be the same. Some memory kits will work great in one board while refusing to POST in other boards. Any ddr4 SHOULD work, in theory, but you may run into trouble with getting it to run at rated speeds.

I know ram is expensive as hell right now, but take your time and do your homework prior to ordering. You'll probably want two sticks to take advantage of Dual Channel. You'll want to make sure the memory is Single Rank, meaning it has chips only on one side as opposed to Dual Rank which has chips on both sides. Dual Rank will work, but may be more troublesome and will probably run at a lower than rated frequency. Ideally, you'd want a 16GB (2x8GB) Single Rank memory kit containing Samsung B-Die chips. They're most likely to work regardless of QVL, but they're even more expensive ($170USD and higher). It's not absolutely necessary, but it'll probably save you some headaches with troubleshooting. Bios updates will make things easier as well.

You may also want to focus on getting at least 2666MHz. There's a noticeable improvement between 2133 and 2666. After reaching 2666 the improvement begins to lessen. I usually recommend people aim for 2666 to 3000MHz, only getting 3200 if you can find it for less than 15% additional cost.

Some links that may prove useful.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1627555/ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

For the record, I have the same board and chose memory not on QVL and was very fortunate or lucky. With a bios update it worked without problems. Details in signature.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

17 minutes ago, johndms said:

For the record, I have the same board and chose memory not on QVL and was very fortunate or lucky. With a bios update it worked without problems. Details in signature.

I am on a budget and I was trying to find ram that is under 90 dollars. Any suggestions?